Man of Steel (SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Man of Steel

But the thing is, every movie is grounded in it's own reality. :lol

Depends on how you interpret grounded realism.

It could mean he doesn't fly or shoot heat vision as that wouldn't be realistic or it could mean a realistic reaction among the characters to these fantastical elements :dunno

I'd say its this (in bold). Though I do wonder are they including some of Superman's ''sillier'' powers like lazer eyes and freeze-breath....

When I hear grounded in reality for Superhero movies, I expect that to mean things like if they get shot, they have to take a second to deal with that. But with Superman he's likely talking about the relationships being grounded and more realistic. I'm sure what they mean is that not everyone would be overwhelmingly ok with an alien suddenly being here that has superpowers and attracts other lethal aliens.

Depends on how you interpret grounded realism.

It could mean he doesn't fly or shoot heat vision as that wouldn't be realistic or it could mean a realistic reaction among the characters to these fantastical elements :dunno

This ^…… Treating the subject material with respect involves establishing "a realistic reaction among characters to these fantastical elements" so that the audience can suspend its disbelief and accept these mystical elements as if they could occur (even though the viewer knows they cannot).

The era of campy, silly, comical superhero movies is over. That formula does not work anymore (see ghost rider and green lantern). Tone can be whimsical and funny but you better have some realistic elements/characters or it will fail.

Now if they go realistic in terms of making superman a guy with thick skin with no powers I could see every one freakin out about being too grounded lol.

The era of campy, silly, comical superhero movies is over. That formula does not work anymore (see ghost rider and green lantern). Tone can be whimsical and funny but you better have some realistic elements/characters or it will fail.

There hasn't really been a campy movie since Batman & Robin. All superhero movies since have been more serious and grounded in some level of realism.

Green Lantern wasn't any less grounded in realism than others. When a spaceship crashed there were goverment types to secure the site and take the ship and alien for examination. There were comical lines, aliens and energy powers just like in Avengers, only difference is GL didn't embrace it's Sci-Fi. I think the filmakers thought "this is some goofy ****, lets try and avoid all that as much as we can and just tell a simpler earth-based story" rather than embrace what the subject matter was and tell a story with those in place

Last edited:

^ The biggest grossing superhero movie last year was campy, silly & comical. Those days aren't over

Silly and comical but I didnt think it was campy. Then again my definition of camp may be different then yours. I consider camp like the joker singing and dancing in batman or the public cheering "way to go superman.. and I told you he was Jewish.. the first time a man with crazy powers flies from the sky. Or even the whole character of Otis...

I take it as the setting itself ( the world in which Superman is in) is realistic, but the characters (supes,zod,etc.) obviously are not.

I take it as the setting itself ( the world in which Superman is in) is realistic, but the characters (supes,zod,etc.) obviously are not.

Yup, exactly.

It sort of goes without saying though. That's how it SHOULD be. You don't need to put emphasis on realism and dwell on it as long as you stay true to what you're making and take the world you're depicting seriously. As soon as you betray that and start poking fun at your own film (like Batman and Robin for instance), that's when it falls apart.

I think how they're dealing with Krypton as this sort of medieval era like world is brilliant. Very reminiscent of Thor or Lord of the Rings. It seems appropriate and fitting in tone, not "REALISTIC". And yeah, they'll most certainly be dealing with the reactions of the people that see Superman. I'd imagine that when he starts out, he's viewed as a threat (like the poster hints at). Not that that is necessarily the "realistic" response, just this world's response. The original Superman had it's citizens gasping in wonder and awe, which was proper for the world people lived in in the 70s. Now? Our times are much more cynical and fearing.

I just hope they don't throw a "second coming", religious thing into the film like Superman Returns did. I really thought Supes striking Christ like poses and the "father becomes the son and the son becomes the father" themes were really in bad taste and not appropriate to the story. The story of Moses is as close to the bible and religion as Superman gets.

Last edited:

Yup, exactly.

It sort of goes without saying though. That's how it SHOULD be. You don't need to put emphasis on realism and dwell on it as long as you stay true to what you're making and take the world you're depicting seriously. As soon as you betray that and start poking fun at your own film (like Batman and Robin for instance), that's when it falls apart.

I think how they're dealing with Krypton as this sort of medieval era like world is brilliant. Very reminiscent of Thor or Lord of the Rings. It seems appropriate and fitting in tone, not "REALISTIC". And yeah, they'll most certainly be dealing with the reactions of the people that see Superman. I'd imagine that when he starts out, he's viewed as a threat (like the poster hints at). Not that that is necessarily the "realistic" response, just this world's response. The original Superman had it's citizens gasping in wonder and awe, which was proper for the world people lived in in the 70s. Now? Our times are much more cynical and fearing.

I just hope they don't throw a "second coming", religious thing into the film like Superman Returns did. I really thought Supes striking Christ like poses and the "father becomes the son and the son becomes the father" themes were really in bad taste and not appropriate to the story. The story of Moses is as close to the bible and religion as Superman gets.

Completely agree, though I didn't hate Superman Returns, but I didn't like it either. I cannot wait for this film. They took a risk with the Director, but I think it might pay off. The cast seems brilliant, and Cavill seems like a good choice (especially in terms of looks, I just hope he can act) Ive wanted to see a badass Superman for what seems like forever. Please God, let this live up to the hype.:pray::lol

Edit: And I LOVE the new costume.

Yup, exactly.

Everybody seems to have a different definition of "grounded". This is the stance I most agree with.

I hope they never use Lex in this trilogy. No more Superman chasing Lex's missiles and having to avoid Kryptonite necklaces and all that other BS. I don't care if he's in it, but never have him be the main Antagonist. That would be a huge step-down from a Super-villain like Zod.

Or at least put Lex in a mech suit and have him actually fight Supes :yess:

There you go, that would be cool. I just feel like if they use Lex again (as the main villain) we will have a Superman Returns duplicate. And im sure we'd all want that to happen. :lol

Just because no one has been able to use him well doesn't mean he's unusable. They'd just have to completely ignore the precedents.

Back