MAFEX Robocop 1/12 scale

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a hoax this is actually happening within a few weeks.
robocop-kfc-photo.jpg

Bugger. Looks like I am truly swayed to get the Mates Robo now. You guys have done a superb job showcasing this figure.

Thankfully i already have Figma Robo, NECA Robo & ED 209.
ED looks great with the Mates Robo too.

Guess only sad once again no unhelmeted Alex head. Hopefully someone shrinks the HT head for Mafex ;)

I would love to see an Accurate film Patrol Car for Robo and maybe his chair station too. Plus maybe Murphy pre Robo?

Bugger. Looks like I am truly swayed to get the Mates Robo now. You guys have done a superb job showcasing this figure.

Thankfully i already have Figma Robo, NECA Robo & ED 209.
ED looks great with the Mates Robo too.

Guess only sad once again no unhelmeted Alex head. Hopefully someone shrinks the HT head for Mafex ;)

I would love to see an Accurate film Patrol Car for Robo and maybe his chair station too. Plus maybe Murphy pre Robo?

If we got enough interest, maybe one of the 1/6 sculptors could be persuaded to do a head for Robocop, the only drawback being we'd have to paint it. A Murphy would again come down to whether the likeness rights for Peter Weller could be attained.

I see, well, the Mafex isn't actually a shrunken HT, but, it is really well detailed, even down to the OCP scripts on the helmet.

Do you think there is a chance to see a BD unmasked from Mafex? Would be great!

I'd say it's extremely unlikely, but I chose to believe there's a tiny, tiny chance.

Medicom was the first company that was able to get the rights to Alex from Clockwork Orange. First as a 12 inch figure, then as a MAFEX, and now as UDF non-articulated figure. Since then, Mezco has followed suit, so clearly the floogates were open.

Hot Toys is the ONLY company that either ponied up the cash or otherwise convinced Professor Weller to let them use his likeness.

The only possible reason I haven't abandoned all hope is because Mr. Weller was at the Tokyo Comic Con as a guest a few months ago. Surely, some aggressive sales team made a pitch for him, face to face, for an unmasked MAFEX. And if they didn't? They blew a big opportunity.

My last hope is that Medicom and MAFEX have no shame when it comes to price. They could release RoboCop movie one version 2.0, now with Murphy face, and charge 20,000 yen for it, and not even blink an eye. I know I'd buy it. Wouldn't you guys too? And yes, this is a generalization, but the typical single salaryman living in a small room in Tokyo has a LOT more disposable income to toss around at toys.

I don't think it's likely, but I'm praying to the toy gods that it's possible and could come out some time in the near future.

I suspect Howard Chan's wallet is always fairly well stuffed and he probably has the gift of the gab enough to schmooze with the best of them. I don't think begging while treating them to a McDonalds is going to cut it!

For those who asked about the differences wih the Hot Toys version, i recently managed to grab a Battle Damaged version at a relatively "decent" price if we consider a little bit more than 300 $ decent ...
You know what? i kept it three days and sold it...
Don't get me wrong , the figure is impressive with a lot of details, especially with this BD version. It is much more detailed and refined than the mafex of course.
I initially bought this version because the standard was already too expensive to add funds in order to do a re-paint.
But i don't know why i wasn't 100% satisfied with this full of remorse purchase... The details on the back of the head were crazy and the sculpt was maybe one of the most successfull realisations of HT but i founded flaws that if at 200$ are acceptable, at 300 and more aren't anymore. The general paint job is still too silver and has quite no blue or purple shades and if from profile view the sculpt matches , in front it is not 100% Weller.

Do our expectations rise in the same way that the funds we put in it? Probably, it's human... If i bought it at the initial price i think i would have been really satisfied, so it is entirely may fault, i should had not wait these crazy prices.

The other thing is that i begun to realize that more the size of the figure increases, more the "fun factor" decreases... I'm maybe not interested as i was in 1/6 figures. This is maybe why i sold all my SW and Iron Man 1/6 stuff a few years ago. (I just kept a 1/6 Iron Man statue... because it is a statue and not a figure)
I remember, by the way, when i received my first 1/6 SS Stormtrooper, that weird and unpleasant feeling to have rather a doll than an action figure.

Always found that 1/6 were too big. Makes me remember when my mother bought me a couple of Big Jim is the 80's. I don't remember to have found it really cool, and had a lot more fun with my GI Joe, MOTU and Kenner's action figures.

Strangely i did not experienced this feeling with my DX-08 / 09 (still the best figure to date IMO) and 14. Maybe because Batman 89 is still my favourite movie and character, and they wonderfully "dress" the 89 Batmobile, witch is my grail and the thing that put me into this hobby. And finally maybe because there is nothing that comes close in term of quality and accuracy in this line on the market.
When i think that at the time i paid 190 $ for DX-08 and 205 $ for DX-09 new in box...

So, sorry for this huge out of subject...:monkey3

All this to say that even if the HT Robocops are far superior in terms of details, finish and general quality, the Mafex is IMO still the best deal, and best fun / quality / accuracy / price ratio.
I mean for a really small price you've got a really well detailed and accurate figure. And i can tell you that if it less refined, the general paint job is way more accurate that the HT version.
HT could have achieved the faultless but this paint...:slap

For about 80 $, it is close to perfection and 100 % Robocop from 1987

But i would not offense anyone and it is only my personal opinion...
Sorry for my bad english...:monkey3

I do get what you're saying, a friend of mine has several HT RoboCops all of which he extensively repainted to get them to where he wanted them to be. He is a pro with time to do that kind of thing, where a low paid factory worker that has to churn out so many an hour won't. The Mafex probably fares better for being smaller, they can do more in an allotted time and still have them looking AOK. I have only seen one other on this thread that I wouldn't be happy to have in my collection.

Yes if you are a good painter it worth to invest but for the majority of ours, i can't accept that we have to pay 250 $ or more for something that is not accurate and put again the same price in modification in order to have something really good.
I modified myself the rims of my HT 89 Batmobile but i would have never paid 200 $ to do it even if it's my grail.

I think HT could have do better, it is not a matter of scale. They just try to do profit with a les complex paint.

Thanks a-dev!
the picture is not mine, but i'll try to reproduce it with the mouth closed.

Other pics that shows the potential of this figure:

And this one very funny!

Yes if you are a good painter it worth to invest but for the majority of ours, i can't accept that we have to pay 250 $ or more for something that is not accurate and put again the same price in modification in order to have something really good.
I modified myself the rims of my HT 89 Batmobile but i would have never paid 200 $ to do it even if it's my grail.

I think HT could have do better, it is not a matter of scale. They just try to do profit with a les complex paint.

I totally agree,

HT do as much as they can with a mass produced product.

Yeah I agree but in this case, don’t tease with that:

What a frustration after these prototypes...

Back