LOTR Trilogy Theatrical Re-release

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was particularly struck by how many young kids and families there were in our audience. Kids who either did not exist yet or were way to young to have seen the movie when it was originally on the big screen ten years ago.

And it was fantastic to see so many of those kids enthusiastically talking with their parents about the movie when the credits rolled!

Speaking of credits ... one selfish thing I enjoyed about the experience ... since the (endless) fan club credits were on this version, I got to see my name on the big screen! :yess:

TORn has an article up right with people's experience last night (including mine) and if you email them with yours it might be added to the article. Plus if you have pictures you can email them those as well.

FOTR EE Article on TORn

Also if you didn't see any of the videos or missed something email them as well. They are going to be letting Fathom and WB know of any issues so it doesn't happen for any of the other movies.

Random question - did they have a break in the middle where you would normally swap the discs over, or does it just play right through?

Something caught my eye during the Weta video, though. They showed a number of Weta's LOTR collectibles (the Gollum statue, the Bag End and Rivendell enviros) ... and then showed a brief glimpse of a sculptor working on a statue of a seated Gandalf the Grey.

Oh really!

Well, they are planning on announcing or showing something at Comic-Con regarding their 'character' line, so maybe this is part of it? What scale did it look to be in? Any other info, like what he was sitting on? A chair at Bag-End, perhaps? :D

Oh really!

Well, they are planning on announcing or showing something at Comic-Con regarding their 'character' line, so maybe this is part of it? What scale did it look to be in? Any other info, like what he was sitting on? A chair at Bag-End, perhaps? :D

Hard to tell on the big screen but it did seem smaller than 1:6th. Looked pretty cool though. I immediately thought it might be something from the character line.

Strait through. No break. :clap

That was cool. I was thinking as we got to that part well this is where I'd be switching discs.

TORn has an article up right with people's experience last night (including mine) and if you email them with yours it might be added to the article. Plus if you have pictures you can email them those as well.

FOTR EE Article on TORn

Also if you didn't see any of the videos or missed something email them as well. They are going to be letting Fathom and WB know of any issues so it doesn't happen for any of the other movies.

All those comments about the HD picture and greater detail made me sad because ours was a little out of focus. Someone next to me even went out during the trivia slides about that and someone came in and fixed it, but I'm wondering now if they just fixed it for the slide projector and didn't adjust the focus on the movie projector. :monkey2

All those comments about the HD picture and greater detail made me sad because ours was a little out of focus. Someone next to me even went out during the trivia slides about that and someone came in and fixed it, but I'm wondering now if they just fixed it for the slide projector and didn't adjust the focus on the movie projector. :monkey2

Oh that sucks. :monkey2 Well, hopefully nothing like that next week when TTT goes up.

As the movie was ending I was thinking to myself how I felt nearly a decade ago when seeing FOTR (TE of course) and how much I hated having to wait a year. Thinking how much cooler it was that I only had to wait a week to see the next part on the big screen. It was great 8 years after the last time I saw the EE of FOTR on screen getting to see it again.

Oh that sucks. :monkey2 Well, hopefully nothing like that next week when TTT goes up.

As the movie was ending I was thinking to myself how I felt nearly a decade ago when seeing FOTR (TE of course) and how much I hated having to wait a year. Thinking how much cooler it was that I only had to wait a week to see the next part on the big screen. It was great 8 years after the last time I saw the EE of FOTR on screen getting to see it again.

I hope it's better next week. If not, I'll have to get off my butt and find someone. I was afraid to leave the theater since I was by myself and didn't think I'd be able to find my way back to my seat. Plus, there wouldn't be anyone to save my seat for me. :lol

Waiting only a week is definitely a plus. Even a year was better than the three we had for Star Wars.

Yeah, if that happens I know I will be.

Thats true. Plus with the EE coming out on blu this month we can all do this again from home soon.

Yeah, if that happens I know I will be.

Thats true. Plus with the EE coming out on blu this month we can all do this again from home soon.

That's why I wasn't too concerned about the focus because I know the Blu-ray will knock my socks off.

Random question - did they have a break in the middle where you would normally swap the discs over, or does it just play right through?

Oh really!

No break in ours, either. Played straight through in New Jersey. (I think I read that they had an intermission in the NZ screening in Wellington, though.)

The Gandalf sculpture seemed to be a bit smaller than 1/6th. But I could be wrong. (The image zipped by pretty fast!) As for what he's sitting on, I didn't get much of a look at that either. He could be in Bilbo's kitchen, could be out in the wilderness on a rock, could be in Moria. (Heck, he could be on the john! :rotfl) I don't remember seeing any kind of chair back though.

The Weta spot will surely be on the TTT and ROTK screenings as well, so I'll make sure to pay closer attention. (And maybe somebody with one of them fancy eee-lectronic telephone-type cameras can maybe snap a photo!) Hopefully the whole video officially makes its way online soon!

I'm leaning toward trying to catch ROTK:EE on the big screen. It'll be our one and possibly only chance ever to see it without interruptions. Cable TV always shows the theatrical version and the DVD's and now Blu-Rays always have it spread across two discs. I want to know what that 4 hour 25 minute monstrosity is like in one uninterrupted sitting!

Really looking forward to the EE:TTT screening. For me, that's the movie that's most radically improved by the additional footage. Love the family dynamic between Boromir, Faramir and Denethor. For me, that added material really makes Faramir's character understandable and relatable in ways the theatrical cut really misses.

Yeah, we've talked about that for years now just how much better Faramir is in the EE. You just get so much more reason to understand why he acts the way he does.

Speaking of which, the extended editions really enhance the characters of Bilbo and Boromir in the Fellowship.

I hadn't seen LOTR for a few years and had forgotten some of the Concerning Hobbits bit and all those scenes with Boromir, specifically the one where he notices Gollum following them down the river. I also forgot how important he is at the Council of Elrond, he's pretty much a key player in that scene.

Boromir was always one of my fave characters. Yeah, the council scene is very good in the EE. Better yet is the EE scene from TTT, when he tells Faramir "remember today brother"..

I had a nice time at the theater. I changed seats after 10 mins, as my eyes were starting to bother me, which kinda soured me for awhile. I guess it has been almost 10 years, I'm not getting any younger. :monkey1

Anyone have any idea what the box office take was for last night?? Nothing reported at Box Office Mojo...was curious how it did in the theaters for a single showing!

Haven't seen but in 2003 during Trilogy Tuesday it did pretty well looking at the numbers. So hopefully it will be in the 6 figures like it was then.

Back