Lego The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, that would be cool. I k ow Yazneg actually has an action figure from TBD but it's only in the UK for now.

Is there anywhere online where there's a complete list of the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit sets? Lego.com doesn't have it.

Well, I don't think Azog was originally there in the film and Lego received their references back when The Hobbit was conceived as two films only . . .

Yeah, the consensus is that he was added last minute when they went from 2 to 3 films. So the figure we got was probably to original Azog. Which is nice, because me might not have gotten this orc otherwise. We'll get Azog eventually.

This was produced when it was still two films. Yazneg was to be the Orc who hunted them.

Could this be a reason why Azog is pretty much all CGI? They didn't have time/recources/opportunity to shoot the part with a costumed actor? Or was it planned to be CGI all along?

I think he was planned that way all along. They had some issues with casting Azog and Yanzeg. I'd have to find the story someplace.

It wouldn't surprise me if Azog was just a thrown together last-minute inclusion. Certainly feels that way!
Although i would probably have hated Yazneg more, being an actual made-up orc.

It added melodrama and that's about it. I'll go out on a limb and say Azog and his head become separated sometime in the next 2 movies, such thrilling theater. I just don't get why PJ thinks the films need stuff like this. I try not to be too cynical of Hollywood when it comes to these movies but it gets very, very hard to NOT see much of this filler as the pure money grab the real Tolkien purists bemoan.

But what a mess we have here. A Lego MF of a do nothing character is a HUGE deal in the Lego universe when some have been begging for years for certain ones to be made. Yet we have no Azog right? Ditto for the action figures. We have Bolg and Grinnah but no Azog. Its just weird and bolsters claims that the Azog story line was a last minute throw in AFTER the 2>3 film decision was made.

bolsters claims that the Azog story line was a last minute throw in AFTER the 2>3 film decision was made.

Because that is what happened.

It's the exact opposite of Arwen originally being at Helms Deep. Instead of cutting things out, they added in Azog. Everything from the promotions to the marketing reflects this.

I think originally the company was going to get to Mirkwood and it would have ended around the barrel scenes. When it was originally conceived as a two film series, it was probably more concise and better paced. I'm sure Jackson and Co. will shed light on the issues in the features for upcoming home video sets.

It added melodrama and that's about it. I'll go out on a limb and say Azog and his head become separated sometime in the next 2 movies, such thrilling theater. I just don't get why PJ thinks the films need stuff like this. I try not to be too cynical of Hollywood when it comes to these movies but it gets very, very hard to NOT see much of this filler as the pure money grab the real Tolkien purists bemoan.

But what a mess we have here. A Lego MF of a do nothing character is a HUGE deal in the Lego universe when some have been begging for years for certain ones to be made. Yet we have no Azog right? Ditto for the action figures. We have Bolg and Grinnah but no Azog. Its just weird and bolsters claims that the Azog story line was a last minute throw in AFTER the 2>3 film decision was made.

Oh here comes the "real" Tolkien purists comments. I cannot begin to express how I loathe that attitude. It reeks of you're not a real Tolkien fan BS.

As far as Azog his character just replaced Yanzeg as far as the story line goes. It wasn't created after the fact.

Josh I wasn't claiming to be a real Tolkien purist but they exist in droves on the internet. I don't read those sites because I don't have the chops for it. I don't dress up as an elf or memorize genealogies. But you seem to like to portray me that way, or anyone that doesn't drool over anything done by PJ and Co. But in fact these people cannot be pleased and you, it seems, cannot be disappointed.

Last edited:
Oh here comes the "real" Tolkien purists comments. I cannot begin to express how I loathe that attitude. It reeks of you're not a real Tolkien fan BS.

As far as Azog his character just replaced Yanzeg as far as the story line goes. It wasn't created after the fact.

One quick comment on this. Azog was the goblin leader at the battle of Moria, so that is accurate according to Tolkien's work. The difference is that Dain killed him at that battle and Azog's son Blog is the one leading the goblins at the battle of the five armies and I believe he is the one that gets to kill ____ and then gets to be killed by ____ (don't want to ruin it just in case someone hasn't read the book or PJ son how goes back to this story line).

I have loved the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings since I was 5. I got dressed up as a hobbit in elementary school for Halloween when nobody in North Florida seemed to know what a hobbit was and I did my 5th grade biography report and presentation on Tolkien. So I am about as big a fan as you can get without getting into the level of people who dress up or learn elvish or anything like that. The thing I have done from the beginning is view this trek into Middle Earth as PJ's interpretation of the story and by doing that instead of trying to pit the story and the movie against each other I have thoroughly enjoyed both. Yes there are things I might have wanted added or cut but it is his interpretation and at least for me the Lord of the Rings was very enjoyable so I'm more then willing to wait for all three to be complete before passing final judgement on the Hobbit.

Also way back when bbts first announced the pre-order of the action figures (before it became 3 movies) they had azog listed as one of the 6 inch figures. I pre-ordered him and eventually sometime after it became 3 movies they sent me the email saying the figure had been canceled.

I just hate those kind of remarks. As far as me and how I feel there are plenty of things about all four movies I would change a bit. So I'm not one of those that feels they're perfect.

Back