Keaton Batman- Custom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
les096a.jpg

Best Keaton Batman ever!! :rock Awesome work Les!!

Wow. Thanks Commtech. I am pretty happy with him. Only part I couldn't get to work right is the abdomen to the thighs, as mine is cut apart peices of model, instead of one continuous rubber part like Shawn's are or the like. That does make mine REALLY posable though. I do like that part.
I have held one of Shawn's, the one I repainted for Pjam, and it was astoundingly made, so much so, that even with my own, I kinda wanted one. But I think I'll just hang on to mine and not worry about the legs. Still...if I could get just that thigh armor part from Shawn....

And Staggerly, yes. The recast vinyl kits are smaller in scale. Any recasts are if I understand correctly. I assume resin recasts don't change scale much, but vinyls do, because the molds shrink and the recast vinyl parts are always smaller. I have thought for ages that I might get one of the recast white vinyl kits, just to try another Batman, but someone told me not to bother, as they won't fit any bodies correctly. And that is key. The old original Billiken kits were also molded in black vinyl so no painting was needed also. It all adds up. IF you ever find the A type kit, it has the best body armor and all, and the B has the cape down and the proper cowl, although that part could be made somehow I think, easier than the body armor. Look for both Billiken kits if you want to do this. Both of those also come with an inner face part that is seperate from the cowl. NOW, one could even apply PERS methods to the eyes I bet. If I had only known! LOL! Mine was made a while back though, so no going back now.

My feeling is, that HT will come out with a PERS DX type Keaton within the next two years or so. It's too logical a progression to not do, and a DX would cover it I think. Same with a Nicholson Joker.

Oh, and he doesn't have a gold belt! No way. Lots of figures and models have that, statues even. Keaton's belt color can be mixed with the following colors, if using Testors Acryls or comparable colors: three parts or more of Insignia Yellow, one part or less of Leather (a brown and you don't mix in much to the yellow) and a spot of gold or brass, in the mix, and when that color dries, do washes and wipes with the same color but darkened with more of the yellow/brown, and some thin grey, and gold. That shades the crannies and adds just a shade of variation to it. But, bottom line, the belt is YELLOW and not gold! Just an accuracy thing for anyone working on their own.
The chest emblem is a rich yellow also, mixed with just a smidgeon of the leather brown as well.
Not lemon yellow!!!!! No! No. No.
Be careful of the reference images you use, and what the lighting is in each. The colors on Keaton Batman are very specific, but sometimes hard to nail down unless you can see them in well lit, and almost neutral lighting.

Last edited:
My feeling is, that HT will come out with a PERS DX type Keaton within the next two years or so. It's too logical a progression to not do, and a DX would cover it I think. Same with a Nicholson Joker.

Especially with Toynami and DCD coming out with quite a few Keaton Batman products this year, it's looking favorable that HT might do Batman '89 stuff after the Iron Man buzz has passed. Like T2, I can see them doing it as filler between current licenses. I'll be happy enough just to have them do Batman, but I wonder if we'll get Joker or not, I've heard Nicholson worked some things in his favor, and so far, all the Batman '89 stuff has been weapons and gear or Batman himself only.

I wonder if anyone could turn a casting of the new DCD statue into a figure, it's not perfect but with some slight work, might be a good starting point.

Thanks very much for the info and advice, Les. And again, KILLER figure. You're always an inspiration!

That is essentially what I did with my custom Keaton. Although mine is not from any recast kits, mine is using both the A and B Billiken kits, as they are the correct size and scale when trimmed and it is a LOT of trimming. Had to use a black spandex type suit underneath, which I tightened around the joints, and glued the armor parts onto that. Then made the cape, and refurbished the cowl into a helm of sorts, added some pleather rim to blend it to the neck part, so it would be slightly movable, and reworked the width of the cowl and ears a bit with epoxy putty.

les096a.jpg

les120a.jpg

les094a.jpg

Wow Les, that is the best Keaton Batman period. The cape is perfect.

Ah, yes. Les' Batman. I stumbled upon it long before I knew of the Freaks board. I believe I asked to buy it from him too but he turned me down.:lol The offer still stands, Les....the offer still stands.

I think there's a list of people waiting to buy Les'. It's not owning it, but at least at some point, I'll get to have fun photographing it :)

What about an 89' Keaton Batman sculpt for me!! I NEED ONE TOO. Remember everyone, I was the idiot who ruined his Henry Wayne cowl. You know that figure that's one of a kind, well, I guess the cowl wasn't up to my standards...so now, I'm up a creek without a paddle...Someone, PLEASE help a brother out!

Sorry, I don't understand whats going on here. I'm new to this who figure stuff. alls I know's that I want a Batman Returns figure lol!

So your saying that it is an off the shelf figure that you repainted. What brand figure is it?

Sorry, I don't understand whats going on here. I'm new to this who figure stuff. alls I know's that I want a Batman Returns figure lol!

So your saying that it is an off the shelf figure that you repainted.
What brand figure is it?

Yes that's what I'm saying.

I bought him loose on eBay a few years ago. Paint job was atrocious, but that was an easy fix. Even for a non-customizer like myself.

I'm sorry, I don't know who made it. Perhaps someone here can fill us in, because I would like to know myself.

(All it says on the figure is "1992 DC Comics.")

Also should mention that it's not 1/6th scale (it's about 14 in. tall) and it's not exactly an action figure. Only 2 cut joints at the shoulders. But it works nicely for my BR display. :)

Last edited:
I think I know the one you mean in particular, I have seen those on ebay. You did a very good job, looks great!

Awesome stuff! I might have to get one myself!

Sorry, added this edit above...

Also should mention that it's not 1/6th scale (it's about 14 in. tall) and it's not exactly an action figure. Only 2 cut joints at the shoulders. But it works nicely for my BR display. :)

Back