Keaton Batman- Custom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I'd love have that in 1:6 scale. Somebody here made one I think...or maybe it was another forum. Anyways, he did a great job. I'll have to see if I can find those pics.

Here's mine. It also is an older version just like Coco's with the better headsculpt. According to the original owner, this one was made a couple of years (2005) before Shawn offered them here on the boards. One of my favorite figures in my collection!

DSC02639.jpg

God! As much as I love the Batman Begins and The Dark Knight suit there is something about that 89 Batman film I've always loved. Don't know if it's because it's just one of those classic films.

I had always loved the axis chemicals build up, the way the city was scened the sky etc but just imagine having that sitting on your shelf! Damn!

Though personally I'm not loving the Batman symbol stands. It takes away that iconic look of the all darkness making it really look DIY.

It just doesn't pop the way you see the Batman text. Simple and elegant. You see that and you know it's 89.

2z4igd3.jpg

Batman Begins was quite similar to Batman '89 in the more mysterious portrayal of Batman, TDK just walked away from it, I hope Batman 3 goes back to the lurking shadow figure.

Yeah but the city just didn't have that same feel as the 89 film.

Something about the 89 film city was very gritty, creepy, cold, a little warm, daunting and smokey plus the way it was lit. It was just so Batman style that had a grungy feel to it. Plus there was such an amount of so many god damn huge pipes everywhere. It almost had a Robocop feel to it regarding that part.

Begins kind of feels like some generic city with the similar added effects but it still felt generic with effects. It just didn't scream Gotham to me.

I loved the fact how it was a huge model. Did you ever have the magazine for Batman Returns showing the full scale model with the old cathedral etc

This the same Batmobile you have Maul? https://www.flickr.com/photos/ebuen/2777365500/in/set-72157622219576441/

I'm guessing yeah, I can't tell who makes that though. And yes, Gotham as a whole was darker, the Narrows was the best part of Begins, I hope they go back to similar locales in Bat 3.

Like an idiot I sold this version of Keaton a few years ago thinking I could just order from Shawn later on. Though he's really improved on the suit since (the suit on the 20th version was incredible), the sculpt really makes a figure for me.

Anyway we can get Shawn to do a run of the "original" Keatons? I'd jump on that in a minute.

Mannnnn...I just paid $40 for that Alex Rojas Batman sculpt, only problem was he's sending me the wrong one. He has two versions, and I'm getting the one with the short trimmings...I wish I could just buy the same Batman/Keaton figure that Commtech bought!

Last edited:
Yes Coco...Not a bad figure.
But all the others are AMazing! Love the keaton unmasked as well

The Rojas' Bats has it's good points. The best being the cape, at least in the case of the one I got several years ago. I just didn't like much else especially it's small size and sculpt.

For me Shawn's early Batman figures are the best especially in terms of sculpt and proportions. He's improved on his armor and slightly on the cape since then but went downhill in the sculpt department.

The Rojas' Bats has it's good points. The best being the cape, at least in the case of the one I got several years ago. I just didn't like much else especially it's small size and sculpt.

For me Shawn's early Batman figures are the best especially in terms of sculpt and proportions. He's improved on his armor and slightly on the cape since then but went downhill in the sculpt department.

Would you please show a pic with Shawn"s + Rojas's Batman side by side just to see the difference in size & others. Thanks a lot.

batman717

Would you please show a pic with Shawn"s + Rojas's Batman side by side just to see the difference in size & others. Thanks a lot.

batman717

Actually, I can't. I broke my Rojas Bats down for parts some time ago. The mask you see Bruce holding, that's the head from it with the mouth and eyes cut out.:D:eek:
There may be a comparison pic somewhere in this thread though. If I find one in my files I'll post it too.

Has anyone tried just adapting one of the vinyl kit recasts from eBay (like this one) themselves? I've never owned a vinyl model kit, so, not knowing the rigidity of the vinyl and how touchy it would be to trim it down, I haven't wanted to be the first to try.

(Sorry if this has been covered previously in the thread. I missed it for obvious reasons ;) )

Has anyone tried just adapting one of the vinyl kit recasts from eBay (like this one) themselves? I've never owned a vinyl model kit, so, not knowing the rigidity of the vinyl and how touchy it would be to trim it down, I haven't wanted to be the first to try.

(Sorry if this has been covered previously in the thread. I missed it for obvious reasons ;) )

That is essentially what I did with my custom Keaton. Although mine is not from any recast kits, mine is using both the A and B Billiken kits, as they are the correct size and scale when trimmed and it is a LOT of trimming. Had to use a black spandex type suit underneath, which I tightened around the joints, and glued the armor parts onto that. Then made the cape, and refurbished the cowl into a helm of sorts, added some pleather rim to blend it to the neck part, so it would be slightly movable, and reworked the width of the cowl and ears a bit with epoxy putty.

les096a.jpg

les120a.jpg

les094a.jpg

Gorgeous work as always, Les! Thanks for sharing. You say you used the original kits because they're to scale -- do you mean to imply that a recast would, contrarily, be out of scale? I know changes can happen in the casting process, but I always assumed they'd be marginal.

Latest posts

Back