Justice League Movie (Nov 17th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
new photo of WW in JL

wonderwomanheader.jpg

new Jeremy Irons interview ?.

https://variety.com/2016/film/awards/...an-1201902714/

Do you find bigger films like “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” as fulfilling as the smaller projects?

Less so, because they’re so slow. There’s a lot of waiting around and then a huge amount of publicity. One spends 70% of the time doing publicity, 10% of the time filming, and 20% of the time waiting.
I love working with Ben [Affleck] and Zack Snyder. They’ve been fun.

What was your approach to Alfred? He seems more a man of action than previous takes on the character?

I remember an evening with Paul Getty, who was a neighbor of mine, now sadly dead. We drove up to his lovely house. A very nice gentleman opened up the car door. Then another very nice gentleman took the car and parked it somewhere. Another nice gentleman took my coat. And then another nice gentleman gave me a glass of champagne. And all those nice gentleman were SAS. I thought, that’s Alfred. He’s a man who will take care of his boss, whether he’s making coffee or pouring champagne or flying his airplane.

Will he have more to do in “Justice League” than he did in “Batman v Superman”?

Similar, but then, of course, Ben’s going to make a Batman film next summer. He promises me there’s going to be a bit more of Alfred in that. In the “Justice League” we have seven major lead characters and I’m the butler to one of them. It’s clear I will not be dominating that film.

Were you upset by the harsh reviews for “Batman v Superman”?

Not at all. I was very pleased by the numbers. Zack seems to get a hard time from the press, which is strange. I don’t know if it has to do with the sort of secrecy that surrounds the making of it all. But the audience liked it, which in the end is all that matters.

But Irons himself knows that's only half true.

Sure Evil at the end of the day if you and I loved BvS nothing else should matter to us, we loved it end of story.

But Irons also knows that studios expected at the very least Avengers numbers.

Him bashing the movie in the press when it came out i'm sure didn't make those studio heads happy either lol.

Did the audience really embrace this movie?

Last edited:
I believe Irons when he says that, because the bulk of his work has been small/independent films, and in those cases his concern is appealing to the audiences of those films, which he frequently does. The difference is that the audience for movies like Batman/Superman is a large, broad swath of people. So, you gauge interest by ticket sales more than critical consensus.

One area where I might quibble with him, though, was as to whether Batman V Superman truly is a success at appealing to its audience. As you say JYE, the numbers aren't Avengers level, and certainly could have been given the subject matter. And the Cinemascore (best metric I know of for looking at general audience perceptions) is a B, which doesn't seem bad on its surface, but really is, as it is on par with Catwoman and Green Lantern. So, on two independent measures of audience opinion there, Batman V Superman was a disappointment.

BY EVAN CAMPBELL

Filmmaker and comics writer Frank Miller, who penned Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns, has opened up about his preferred direction for the Caped Crusader on the big screen.

Speaking with Variety, Miller discussed how he would tackle a Batman movie.

"My dream would be to make it much smaller," he said. "To lose the toys and to focus more on the mission, and to use the city a great deal more.

"Because he’s got a loving relationship with the city he’s protecting," Miller elaborated. "And unlike Superman, his connection to crime is intimate; it has been ever since his parents were murdered. And he defeats criminals with his hands. So it would be a different take. But it will never be in my hands, because it would not be a good place to make toys from."

Miller added that this was his approach for the Batman: Year One film he was working on with director Darren Aronofsky. He claimed it was "much more down to earth."

As for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Miller has seen the film and kept his comments brief on the DC movie.
"I’ll just say: ‘Thanks,'" he said. "What can I say? [— he laughs —] no, actually I’ll withdraw that; I’ll say: ‘You’re welcome!’"

So Miller wants Batman Begins without the big cliché third act with the train? Sounds good, but a small story is not going to happen. Batman is too popular and mainstream to turn him into Unbreakable or Casey Jones. WB could do that with other less known characters though.

Miller's concept would be great for a solo Batflick, but BvS couldn't really do that because it had to set up JL and its interplanetary perils. I reckon Snyder struck the right balance of crimefighting and super-powered action (especially since there were two major meta-humans sharing the spotlight!)

The JL Batman by definition won't be focusing on petty criminals, but BvS gave us a good sense of how he had been doing that for the past 20 years. Solo and prequel Batflicks can explore that aspect.

And just as Affleck is my fave Batman to date, Irons is my fave Alfred. His mutterings under his breath lent some much-needed levity.

So Miller wants Batman Begins without the big cliché third act with the train? Sounds good, but a small story is not going to happen. Batman is too popular and mainstream to turn him into Unbreakable or Casey Jones. WB could do that with other less known characters though.

Yeah, they need to make a movie based on The Question and keep it street level like the first season of Daredevil. That would be a movie, I believe if done right, could actually be claimed as an all around success. There aren't enough fans of the character to have the divisive reactions that the DCEU has created so far, and I think the critics would probably eat it up too.

Damnit Khev!

Yeah, they need to make a movie based on The Question and keep it street level like the first season of Daredevil. That would be a movie, I believe if done right, could actually be claimed as an all around success. There aren't enough fans of the character to have the divisive reactions that the DCEU has created so far, and I think the critics would probably eat it up too.

Damnit Khev!

I was thinking of the Question too :hi5:

Yeah, it works with Dare Devil because he's a C list character, but Batman for whatever reason is seen as real super hero on the same level as Superman, so him being a low tech street level brawler is beneath him now. :lol He can still do it at some point in a film, but in the end he'll be fighting against an A-list level "super" villain.

Back