Flashpoint Movie (DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you think about, we've had one hell of a run the last decade or so with geek oriented films and television, even if DC consistently seemed to fall short ... it was all bound to sputter out sooner or later. :LOL:

It all went downhill when Cyborg replaced Green Lantern.
God, yes. It's not the JL without GL. Dunno, I've always found Cyborg boring. I get dropping the Martian Manhunter, because he makes Superman kinda redundant, as he's Clark on steroids. But Cyborg's such a boring choice. On paper he's got a cool hook and all, but I don't know, I never warmed up to him. Maybe it's because he's got such a ****** look. An all silver robot with half a face showing is just bland. GL could never be John at that point because Johns was powerful during the N52 era, and he's a staunch Halguy. So he put in Cyborg as a replacement of J'on, and tied him with the Motherboxes. Which technically worked as a plot device, but... I've said it before, but if they wanted more diversity in the League without dropping the big guys, they should've just used Vixen. Two birds with one stone (black woman) and she's got a unique and interesting powerset, plus a unique day job. I get that Cyborg fits better due to the Motherbox connection they cooked up, but tech should be Batman's area; otherwise why the Hell is he even there? Strategy, tech and the such should always fall to him, period. Cyborg was fine in the Titans. He could eventually graduate, but the JL should be THE heroes. The Avengers can get off with a more varied in powerset roster, but the JL should always be mythical. I'm not much of a JL guy (or an Avengers one; team-books wise for me it was FF & X-Men, then GotG and technically the Midnight Sons during my edgy phase), but from whatever run I read over the years, I always got the impression that they should appear larger-than-life because they were THE elite superteam.

Why did they make Batgirl black again? So satisfy the blacks?
She's a redhead. They exist to get either blacked or blackwashed in modern Hollywood. I cannot think of any recent pieces of media where a redhead either remained white, or had a white love interest if she did. It's a pretty weird trend.

I'm not a fan of GL. I've tried liking him...them, but their powers are kind of bull ****. They can do anything but nothing when it's convenient. It's a lame power, imo.

God, yes. It's not the JL without GL. Dunno, I've always found Cyborg boring. I get dropping the Martian Manhunter, because he makes Superman kinda redundant, as he's Clark on steroids. But Cyborg's such a boring choice. On paper he's got a cool hook and all, but I don't know, I never warmed up to him. Maybe it's because he's got such a ****** look. An all silver robot with half a face showing is just bland. GL could never be John at that point because Johns was powerful during the N52 era, and he's a staunch Halguy. So he put in Cyborg as a replacement of J'on, and tied him with the Motherboxes. Which technically worked as a plot device, but... I've said it before, but if they wanted more diversity in the League without dropping the big guys, they should've just used Vixen. Two birds with one stone (black woman) and she's got a unique and interesting powerset, plus a unique day job. I get that Cyborg fits better due to the Motherbox connection they cooked up, but tech should be Batman's area; otherwise why the Hell is he even there? Strategy, tech and the such should always fall to him, period. Cyborg was fine in the Titans. He could eventually graduate, but the JL should be THE heroes. The Avengers can get off with a more varied in powerset roster, but the JL should always be mythical. I'm not much of a JL guy (or an Avengers one; team-books wise for me it was FF & X-Men, then GotG and technically the Midnight Sons during my edgy phase), but from whatever run I read over the years, I always got the impression that they should appear larger-than-life because they were THE elite superteam.

She's a redhead. They exist to get either blacked or blackwashed in modern Hollywood. I cannot think of any recent pieces of media where a redhead either remained white, or had a white love interest if she did. It's a pretty weird trend.
Social Justice League

I'm not a fan of GL. I've tried liking him...them, but their powers are kind of bull ****. They can do anything but nothing when it's convenient. It's a lame power, imo.
I'll be honest and say I jumped on board with the Johns run, which is what I feel really made the Lantern Mythos what it is. Without it's a standard Space Cape book. Hal's my favourite, so while I am glad Johns brought him back to the limelight and redeemed him, I also am sad he technically erased Parallax Hal and Spectre Hal, as I felt those were a great addition to his character. Beyond that though, nobody can deny that he completely revitalised the property and amde it unique. Yeah, maybe he used some old Alan Moore scraps, but still. I do sometimes feel the Rainbow Corps are bloated, but GL at its core is a fantastical Space Opera starring Space Cops/Knights, which is why it's my favourite DC property, alongside Batman. It's more or less a Western DBZ in a sense.

I understand your problems though. Each Lantern has their own "technique", yes, but most of the time the constructs are generic. Hal goes for something simple that packs a mean punch, Guy is a bit of a hardassed meathead who goes with the classics (which is kinda similar to Hal except Hal incrporates fighter jets into his arsenal), John being an architect and a soldier works with more detail and thus forms guns and the such, while Kyle creates crazy mechas. But most of the time it is a case of energy blasts and whatnot, which robs it of its "punch". But let's be real, comic book writers aren't smart enough to properly write such a device, which is also why most comic book geniuses are just walking PIS win buttons. Personally, I just really like GL because I love the core cooncept of someone's Will being their superpower. That, plus the hook of the freedom it brings. It's similar to how I like Trek on principal, but don't care to watch anything past TOS because the execution doesn't gel with me. But still, the wondrous exploration (of space) is always a hook that at least has me looking into something with interest.

Social Justice League
More or less. I don't even mind a Superwoman and a Batwoman that much. There was an Elseworlds or something with a grown up Barbara working with Bruce and a Superwoman (can't remember if it was Kara or genderbent Kal). But this is just rushed and... sad. They'll just appear and bam, now they're Leaguers because DC ruined their plans. I've always hated seeing newcomers get instant acceptance into the Big Leagues without proving themselves over a long period. Such memberships used to mean something, and now they're basically being given away.

Avengers dead, JL dead... X-Chads, our time is now!

X_Men_Vol_6_1_Wraparound_Textless.0.jpeg

But seriously, that lineup is barely Young Justice. First they drop Green Lantern & Manhunter from the main DCEU League, now they even scrub Superman and Batman of all people. Christ DC...
You know damn well they are going to screw this up. Jean grey will be black and cyclops a woman. Wolverine an Asian .

If you think about, we've had one hell of a run the last decade or so with geek oriented films and television, even if DC consistently seemed to fall short ... it was all bound to sputter out sooner or later. :LOL:
Lol now it’s video games and anime’s time to rise up and take over.

You know damn well they are going to screw this up. Jean grey will be black and cyclops a woman. Wolverine an Asian .
I don't know. I buy that they diversified the Eternals to avoid having to do it to the X-Men and the FF. I also expect MCU Logan to be Jackman as Old Man Logan and X-23 as Wolverine. The mob won't be able to complain much if they've got several black-lead films coming out at the same time. Black Panther will keep going, Blade will be a thing, FalCap's taking over the Cap movies, Ironheart's getting her own show, as is Rhodes, and nothing stops them from proping up other black/non-white characters. I'd love to see Denzel play Blue Marvel, but not in an adaptation of the mini; just do an original story. Or bring in his son John and have him play his anti-hero son. Throw in Monica and do a quasi-adaptation of the Beyond/Ultimates stuff and there you have it. I'd much rather watch that than Carl Manvers' next outing.

If they turn either Cyclops or Jean black then the entire Summers/Grey bloodline changes physical appearance and that to me is a dealbreaker. A non-Clint Eastwood looking Cable, a non-redhead Maddie, or non-redheaded tomboys Rachel & Hope (I still maintain there's a connection between them, even if the comics haven't explored it yet) don't interest me. Most of the X-Men are very much tied to their visual ethnicites and I personally cannot break from that. There are characters like Scorpion, Electro, Kingpin, Bullseye, Hydro-Man, Lizard, D-Man, Solo (the Marvel merc), and so on, whose race doesn't play much of a role. But most mutants are tied to specific visual ques and ethnicities, so you cannot go about changing them. Sinister is a Victorian Englishman, Shiro is Japanese, Rogue is a Southern Belle, Kurt's German, Banshee & Siryn are Irish redheads and so on. You just can't change them and pretend they're the same. Same with the FF. They are supposed to be the spitting image of Americana; change that and you ruin the identity. Then they just become like the Challengers Of The Unknown.

I have a pretty big wishlist for the X-Men, and the Summers Bloodline is central to it. If they change either of them, or the FF, I'm out, regrettably. So far they've changed Namor, allegedely, into a MesoAmerican/Mexican/Mayan. I'm 50/50 on it and if the aesthetic is cool, the actor charismatic (I still maintain he's too old and not handsome enough) and the suit cool, I'll accept it. Kang has been ruined, but maybe he'll wear a cool mask (all the movies I saw Majors in had him playing a clown; Hostiles was the only thing I saw him be more serious, but even then he was outclassed by pretty much everyone). Things are not looking good for my favourites, but I remain hopeful. Kang stings a bit since I had a very different image of him in my head considering the character's background in the comics. I also think it's pretty bull that the one character with tons of variants is the one that's getting a single actor to play him, and he's not even a good one. The Ant-Man guys must've known they were planning to use Kang in 3, so literally why did they waste Fishbourne as Foster when they could've had him as Kang?

Wolverine will have a threesome then.
I mean, it's canon that they're having threesomes in the comics now. Technically. Kinda. It depends on whether you want to acknowledge it or headcanon it away. Current X-Comics are pretty wild.

I can’t believe how dc/WB had a huge head start on every but decided to be stupid and mess up everything. They had the superhero genre in the palm of there hand in the 90s and 00s but then because of lack of faith in there properties they lost tremendously to marvel. They literally hate the characters they were given. I will not be surprised if Disney buys these characters 10 years from now. Hell I can see WB actually selling them off cause they could care less about them.

I can’t believe how dc/WB had a huge head start on every but decided to be stupid and mess up everything. They had the superhero genre in the palm of there hand in the 90s and 00s but then because of lack of faith in there properties they lost tremendously to marvel. They literally hate the characters they were given. I will not be surprised if Disney buys these characters 10 years from now. Hell I can see WB actually selling them off cause they could care less about them.
I don't know about Disney buying them, but yeah, WB did drop the ball. Hard. Like I've said already, I've always been more of a Marvel guy than a DC one, but it's a fact that WB had the more general high profile characters and they could've easily kickstarted their cinematic universe well before the MCU even had a chance. But maybe the trick here is that Marvel characters being more down-to-Earth, more arseholy, is what made them popular. They may be walking quip machines now, but back when they started they were a pretty fresh take for the general audiences. DC has the super-powered icons, but Marvel started with Iron Man, Cap and Hulk. With the exception of Thor, they were stories about misfits, ***** and action heroes. Especially if we extend it to Pre-MCU flicks, the X-Men and Spider-Man fit that bill even more. Had DC started their run first, they'd have lead with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman and so on. More powers, bigger stakes, less personal stories. My theory is that Iron Man was there at the right place at the right time. Late 00s is when the vast majority of average joes started getting the internet (for better or worse), the iPhone launched in 2007, making smartphones a part of everyday life even moreso than the Blackberry did for the investment banker types, as did Twitter & Facebook. So when Iron Man came out, it wasn't about a superhero, it was about this rich womanizer whose power was his brain and he used tech. The climate helped it succeed. TDK was also very topical for its time. Other CBMs would not have the same impact as they'd just be stories about superheroes, and would've lacked that "it" factor.

Still, we'll never know. I do firmly believe that if DC got their act together early on, it still could've easily rivalled the MCU even if they started with MoS in 2013 and went from there. They certainly would've stolen Marvel's thunder if they'd started earlier. But the question there would be if they'd make it. 2011 GL had shoddy CGI to begin with; can you imagine trying to do that in the early 00s? Maybe they could've crossed over SuperRouth & BatBale, or done that Jude Law & Colin Farrell BvS flick. I still remember how hyped everyone was from that single logo easter egg in I Am Legend.

Batman-V-Superman-Logo-in-I-Am-Legend.jpg

Or Hell, one has to wonder how different it all would've been if JL: Mortal had come out.

megankgale.jpg

Too many variables and "what ifs". The only takeaway from all this is that WB is headed by a bunch of morons and they really did shoot themselves in the foot all by their own volition.

Yup they never thought these characters would sell. They are idiots. I thought man of steel would be the start of something great but nope. I don’t know the whole story if they gave Snyder to much control or none at all but after mos it was all downhill and trying to play catch up to marvel. I thoroughly believe if dc got there act together early on they would have reviled the mcu. There characters were more recognizable back then and they have iconic stories. Again just a bunch of idiots with no vision or plan.

Yup they never thought these characters would sell. They are idiots. I thought man of steel would be the start of something great but nope. I don’t know the whole story if they gave Snyder to much control or none at all but after mos it was all downhill and trying to play catch up to marvel. I thoroughly believe if dc got there act together early on they would have reviled the mcu. There characters were more recognizable back then and they have iconic stories. Again just a bunch of idiots with no vision or plan.
Eh, I don't about iconic stories. Batman certainly. He's got the most well known stories that most normies can name. But the rest? Can anyone name a single WW, GL Pre-Johns, Aquaman and the such story? The names were more well known than most Marvel characters, but I don't think anyone knew any specific arcs in particular. Like I said, I consider myself a DC casual (Batman/Fate/Deathstroke/GL/Vertigo//WildStorm aside), so if I don't know any of their stories, then the GA wouldn't know about them either. And "iconic" is reserved for very few characters and stories in comics. I wouldn't say Iron Man has any truly great runs, but Armour Wars is his defining tale and it has penetrated the comic sphere. By contrast Aquaman or even WW never really had that.

But yeah, if they'd gotten their act together they'd have halted Marvel early on and we'd be living in a different climate. The real test would've been if they did follow a proper plan starting with MoS and then there was a real face off between a proper DCEU and the MCU. I still want to see a movie with Brainiac and Lex, even if I'm not a Superfan. They shouldn't have rushed it, and that's it.

Eh, I don't about iconic stories. Batman certainly. He's got the most well known stories that most normies can name. But the rest? Can anyone name a single WW, GL Pre-Johns, Aquaman and the such story? The names were more well known than most Marvel characters, but I don't think anyone knew any specific arcs in particular. Like I said, I consider myself a DC casual (Batman/Fate/Deathstroke/GL/Vertigo//WildStorm aside), so if I don't know any of their stories, then the GA wouldn't know about them either. And "iconic" is reserved for very few characters and stories in comics. I wouldn't say Iron Man has any truly great runs, but Armour Wars is his defining tale and it has penetrated the comic sphere. By contrast Aquaman or even WW never really had that.

But yeah, if they'd gotten their act together they'd have halted Marvel early on and we'd be living in a different climate. The real test would've been if they did follow a proper plan starting with MoS and then there was a real face off between a proper DCEU and the MCU. I still want to see a movie with Brainiac and Lex, even if I'm not a Superfan. They shouldn't have rushed it, and that's it.
Isn’t crisis iconic tho? I’m a fan of both I think also flash point is rather well known aswell as others. But remember it wasn’t the comics that made the dc characters popular back then it was the tv shows they had. Dc had lots of great shows in the early 00s

Isn’t crisis iconic tho? I’m a fan of both I think also flash point is rather well known aswell as others. But remember it wasn’t the comics that made the dc characters popular back then it was the tv shows they had. Dc had lots of great shows in the early 00s
Crisis is an event that's not specific to any one character. At that point we might as well be talking about Secret Wars, which inspired CoIE. No normie knows about them, but they're equal in terms of comic book popularity. Flashpoint has penetrated the normiesphere though, I'll give you that. I'd say it's Civil War level, kinda. But I'm talking character specific runs. Like I said, WW was more well-known than Iron Man and had a place in the public consciousness, but that doesn't mean she had any truly classic runs that everyone was aware of. Same goes for Aquaman or GL. She was on the same level as Captain America I wager, maybe a tad higher. But yes, what gave DC the edge over the years was their myriad of shows and getting movies based on their characters out there beginning with Superman. Marvel took a long while to get where they were, but at the same time Spider-Man was a huge merch juggernaut and the X-Men owned the 90s. Regardless, that's all rather irrelevant if we're talking public perception. Going into the 00s DC had STAS, BTAS & JL amongst others. Marvel didn't really have anything beyond the shoddy 90s Spider-Man & X-Men series. So had DC moved earlier, they would've dominated the market. But the Schumacher films sort of poisoned the brand, Nolan was its own thing and Returns was too boring to take off. Meanwhile X-Men began the 00s superhero revival, Spider-Man was a hit, and slowly Marvel gained a foothold in the public's eye. The rest is history.

DC dropped the ball even when they had the odds in their favour and that's just sad. What's worse is that they refuse to learn from their mistakes and they keep doubling down.

How long has this Flash movie been announced/in development compared to NWH? It's definitely earlier than NWH, right? And if that's the case, DCEU is now playing second fiddle to MCU's attempt at a multiverse reality. They had the chance to get there first.

IRS not even the fact that is a reboot rather what stories are they adapting. I think the original sin they did was in their lack of planning or adaptation or lack of it.

MOS is my favorite superhero movie from the tone to the story and I owe a large part of that to David Goyer who knew how to adapt the superman story and mythosis in to a modern grounded retelling his influence faded in BvS and maybe that what led to this change to Batman ok with killing. Had they simply stuck to the classic famous storylines for MOS2 such as death and return of superman and then moved in to JL 52 and close out with the red hood and then court of owls things might have turned out better.

It doesn't really matter to me which characters are left ather they reboot it's what storylines are they going to adapt . And I doubt we will see wonder woman and aquaman team up with these new heroes it just will not fit and look awakard. A soft reboot with a mix of old and new characters the new 52 did it with superman and it was crap.

They sad thing is they had a blueprint in the cartoons but they squandered it.

The only superman story line insee left to do is brainiac.

I think if Reeves batman is successful we can have a proper adaptation of red hood and court of owls as sequels.

WB has no vision beyond the next movie no road map and you can see that in black Adam who is not tied in with shazam.

Those two should have been in shazaam part 2.

Back