Jurassic World (SPOILERS!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HOLY **** :thud:

Universal is reporting that Jurassic World now holds the title of biggest domestic opening weekend of all time, grossing $208.8M at the box office, surpassing 2012's Marvel's The Avengers at $207.4M.

Not content with North American triumphs Worldalso now holds the title for the #1 international opening weekend in history as well, with an estimated $315.6M, besting Warner Bros. 2011 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 at $314M. World was #1 in 66 territories and represented 70% of the total weekend box office around the globe. The film also laid claim to the title of Universal's highest-grossing international weekend, beating the previous record holder Furious 7 with $250.4M

This all led to other firsts: Universal crossed the $1B mark at the domestic box office faster than any studio to date, beating the previous record achieved on June 22, 2008 by Paramount. Worldwide Universal smashed the record for reaching $3B worldwide, previously held by 20th Century Fox, on June 30, 2010.

With those domestic and overseas numbers being adjusted upward (which is seemingly happening on the hour), the cumulative worldwide number went to $524.4M (was put at $511.8M on Sunday), making the film the highest global bow in history, and not by some slim margin. It is the first time a film has ever grossed more than $500 million in one weekend.

Not only is Jurassic World the biggest opening domestic weekend that Universal has ever had (the next closest film is Furious 7 with $147.2M) it's the biggest that co-financier Legendary has ever had, which includes the Dark Knight films.

3D also played a major role, according to RealD, who reported that 65% of all international sales were for 3D showings, equaling $205M of the $315.3 (Real D reports this number as $315.7). Universal states that 3D grosses were more like 50%. Included in the Real D report is the astonishing assertion that 95% of moviegoers in China saw Jurassic World in 3D, with the next top performing markets listed as Germany (89%), Brazil (78%) and Russia (74%)

Universal reports that "IMAX scored a record-breaking international weekend of $23.5M, or $53k per screen on 443 IMAX screens, which beats the previous best international opening weekend" held by Transformers: Age of Extinction with $16.7M

Things look rosy for the film in the future as well with an "A" Cinema Score, with audience attendance splitting up 52% Male and 48% female. 39% were under age 25 and 61% age 25 and over.

saw this film twice this weekend, it was just as enjoyable the second time as the first. Like others have said this film was the film the trailers advertised. A genetically altered T-Rex escapes it's confines and runs all over the island killing what ever it can find. Chris Pratt needs to hunt it down and try to stop it. I'm so glad the trailers didn't give anything away from the last 20 minutes, everything after the Raptor march was balls to the wall awesome and pure fan service to the 10th degree. I feel the fate of the I-Rex was fitting to the themes of the series, you reap what you sew and it's fate was very fitting to it's actions.

HOLY **** :thud:

Universal is reporting that Jurassic World now holds the title of biggest domestic opening weekend of all time, grossing $208.8M at the box office, surpassing 2012's Marvel's The Avengers at $207.4M.

Accounting for inflation, Avengers still made more. But then, taking that kind of thing into account negates claims about the historical success of the Avengers to start out with, so. . .

[video=youtube_share;Q1Um0PiPLcM]
Well, there's an opening on the Avengers team...time to sign up the Rex :lecture
ihqriwE.jpg

Accounting for inflation, Avengers still made more. But then, taking that kind of thing into account negates claims about the historical success of the Avengers to start out with, so. . .

Oh we know, I just want to see Avatar and Titanic taken off the top of the "highest grossing" list, inflation or not. :lol

Since half the world has already seen this movie I went ahead and added "spoilers" to the thread title.

I really liked how they did Claire and the flare. Obviously her running with it is a visual cue from the first film but they also established earlier in the movie that they drop flares to signal the T-Rex that a live goat is ready for eating. So apparently its had 20 years to realize "follow the flare to food." I could see it being slightly unsure of its environment when it first stepped out of the paddock and that being reason enough why it didn't eat her immediately. Or maybe she was just thinking, "hey, this seems familiar, maybe she's going to lead me to a tasty meal sitting on a toilet." :)

great analysis

With regard to law suits I'm wondering what "laws" this island off the coast of Costa Rica even abides by? Does everyone sign a "will not sue" waiver who gets on a cruise ship?

And I made a point the second time around to see what all the flyers (pteranodons and dimorphodons) were doing in the background during their big attack. A LOT of people were being shoved into the pavement and violently stabbed by pteranodon beaks. Considering that the helicopter copilot was apparently killed by one such thrust it seems like civilians would have died during the attack. Now usually in a movie like this the "rule" is that if people like that are dying you either show one or two lifeless bodies or have someone mention it after the fact. "We've got 9 confirmed guest deaths." "Dear God." Or what have you. So by that rule the movie seemed to be saying that people were injured but not killed. Hard to say for certain.

If I were to give an honest criticism to the film it would be how much it glossed over the death of the assistant. What was her name, Nava or something? Why couldn't they give her something easy to remember like "Indominous?" ;) I hadn't recalled that the two boys literally WATCHED the whole thing go down from the railing. That **** should have scarred them for LIFE. And yet a few seconds later they were all, "Hey Claire, who's that guy you were kissing?" So if there was one thing I do kind of wish the film did differently it was to have them in a state of catatonic shock when Claire found them with a couple scenes of them getting their bearings before they get back to their normal selves. Brody's son in Jaws had a much more legitimate reaction to the man in the row boat getting eaten.

As it is I just have to hand wave that scene as being one death out of many that they were witnessing (so again, I need to assume that park guests WERE dying around them) and that they were already getting numb to it when the assistant was eaten.

Kids, they just shrug off death. :lol

I do think that we as a society are so programmed to just keep moving forward, progress and all, that we just don't have time to give a crap about the misfortunes of others.

Not because we don't care, we just don't have the time to care.

Well, that and we just don't care. :lol

Someone died, thankfully it wasn't me or family, next.

I think people are over analysing the movie. It is what it is and never sold itself as something else. If anything the trailers make it look more cheesy than it actually was. The Pratt motorbike scene is a prime example; in the context of the movie it fits quite well, it's not Pratt riding with raptors, it's Pratt basically following them because they're so focused on the hide and seek job.

The box office numbers speak volumes, I imagine word of mouth has played a big part. People really like this movie.

Yup

Iron Man 3: $1.2 billion global box office
Jurassic World: $511 million opening weekend.

Forget Pratt, apparently this kid needs to start making $20 million a picture! :lol

MV5BMjE3OTMzMDA3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTE2Mzc0NTE@._V1_UY317_CR11,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

:lol

So now that we know the summer's biggest boxoffice smash, how will Marvel feel about Ultron?

Reboot. :lol

One last note on whether this movie will stand the test of time...

As an example, this is a collectors forum where we show our fandom by collecting/making figures. And yet, there are hardly any JP threads... and the two threads I'm tracking (Grant and Malcolm customs) have been stalling for a long time. Isn't that an indication of how obsessive the fandom is over this dino world? It is an indiaction that lasting love and obsession are just not there for this series. Not like Star Wars or Marvel or Terminator or Batman or Aliens or Indiana Jones or Bond....

How many of you have a 1/6 JP shelf?

Great point and thanks for reminding me that I still need a bare chested Ian Malcolm doll on my shelf.

saw this film twice this weekend, it was just as enjoyable the second time as the first. Like others have said this film was the film the trailers advertised. A genetically altered T-Rex escapes it's confines and runs all over the island killing what ever it can find. Chris Pratt needs to hunt it down and try to stop it. I'm so glad the trailers didn't give anything away from the last 20 minutes, everything after the Raptor march was balls to the wall awesome and pure fan service to the 10th degree. I feel the fate of the I-Rex was fitting to the themes of the series, you reap what you sew and it's fate was very fitting to it's actions.

Well said.

TLW is still massively underrated. At least the characters acted like real people.

Pete Postelthwaite as Roland was great. Stromare's horrible death by compys. Rex tent/waterfall scene and the awesome trailer attack.

There are going to be dinosaurs in every movie from now on. :lol

Right now Disney is making JJ put a T-Rex on Yavin.

Mad Max 5: Raptor Road

Hell, Max's car will now be called the Indominus Interceptor!

:lol

Last edited:
Back