Judge Dredd movie (2012)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Judge Dredd movie

Must of seen a different movie than the rest of you guys. Don't see what the hype was about. Not much of a story, Lena Heady should stick to Game of Thrones, and it just tried to be too gory for nothing. Went to see it with a group and we all thought the same thing after the movie. The theater only had about 20 people in it and it's not playing at some of the theaters around here either.

I guess you did.

ohhhhhhh.gif

I thought the violence made sense. It set the tone of the world Dredd lives in. Why he is how he is.

All the criminals looked like ****ty degenerates and Mega City One felt like a crappy place to live. It was full of decay.

The blood and violence felt appropriate to me. Once you get used to it (and I do think that they establish it early on to slowly bring the audience in), it's not that bad. The violence during slo-mo is beautiful. There were also a lot of cases of that dark Robocop humor like what happens with the homeless man. I thought it was tastefully done.

The box office numbers disagree.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

Go on, tell us that movies aren't good if they bombed and vice versa. Such movies as "Dredd" never meant to be a blockbusters but it's al about making a crap load of presidents over the year from DVD and BD sales.

I thought the violence made sense. It set the tone of the world Dredd lives in. Why he is how he is.

All the criminals looked like ****ty degenerates and Mega City One felt like a crappy place to live. It was full of decay.

The blood and violence felt appropriate to me. Once you get used to it (and I do think that they establish it early on to slowly bring the audience in), it's not that bad. The violence during slo-mo is beautiful. There were also a lot of cases of that dark Robocop humor like what happens with the homeless man. I thought it was tastefully done.

:exactly::exactly:

Go on, tell us that movies aren't good if they bombed and vice versa. Such movies as "Dredd" never meant to be a blockbusters but it's al about making a crap load of presidents over the year from DVD and BD sales.

I agree with you regarding the home video profits, some movies have become profitable and classics from home release (1982 The Thing for example), but that takes time.

Also agree with you about equating box office performance to quality, Avatar is ****.

But box office performance does matter in the industry, very much so.

I am bummed that Dredd was not a box office phenomenon, like Paranormal Activity for example.

It deserved it.

The artists, producers and financiers deserved it for taking a chance on this movie.

Us fans suffer for it when quality movies under perform at the box office.

As long as it makes enough money to warrant a sequel with the same cast and crew and Hot Toys makes a 1/6 Judge Dredd, I don't care about Box Office numbers or reviews.

This turned out to be my favorite film of the year so far, which is pretty surprising.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

I don't need to tell you ****. A bit over $2M on opening day tells it all. It means no one wants to see it, let alone buy it. It'll sell some of course, but nothing like any popular or even semi-popular movie would. Just because a handfull of joe's on a message board like it, doesn't make it a seller, sorry. Time will tell but...

Saw this movie 2 hours ago. Wow I love the movie. Now I like the character. Sideshow please make a PF!!!!

Doesn't really help when there are only so many showings (I think this is playing in only 2,000 + cinemas). The marketing or lack thereof was pretty horrible and could be an issue as well. I instantly wrote this off as soon as I saw bits and pieces of it (boy was I wrong) so what would make general audiences come in and see it?

The theaters around here are pretty popular but for some reason they only have one showing of each (either in 3D or regular). That's it.

I mean you're right about the message board thing but I've heard nothing but good things about this film. Great things even. Not just from those who have seen it locally and not just sideshow, I've seen it all across the boards. So I dunno.

Don't really care about Box Office but I do think this film warrants a sequel and the little praise it's getting. I absolutely loved it. It'd be nice if things got better by word of mouth. Then again it's only been out for two days in America. :lol

Ok, just finished watching The Raid Redemption.

:thud:

I'm exhausted after that. :lol

Someone had to been hurt or killed while making that movie.

The MA puts anything out there to shame.

LOL at 90% of the baddies being quadruple black belts, even the dudes working the drug lab, i'm surprised the pregnant chick wasn't a quadruple black belt. :lol

Good movie, the Dredd similarities didn't bug me whatsoever, the movie had enough to stand on its own.

I bet even the cockroaches were quadruple black belts.

Last edited:

I don't need to tell you ****. A bit over $2M on opening day tells it all. It means no one wants to see it, let alone buy it. It'll sell some of course, but nothing like any popular or even semi-popular movie would. Just because a handfull of joe's on a message board like it, doesn't make it a seller, sorry. Time will tell but...

Who gives a **** how well it does in box office, that fact that a movie like Dredd did so well critically, is enough.

Who gives a **** how well it does in box office, that fact that a movie like Dredd did so well critically, is enough.

Wish that were true.

Dredd needs to make money if you ever want to see a sequel or for other movies to be made with similar quality.

No money, movies with Dredd quality will be harder to come by.

Dredd is a great movie, don't you feel that the studio and artist deserve a healthy return on their investment for giving us something good?

Frustrating to see Avatar make billions and Dredd breaking even, hopefully.

Dredd is a great movie, don't you feel that the studio and artist deserve a healthy return on their investment for giving us something good?

Man, when you put it that way it does sort of suck. Kinda makes me sick.

Wish that were true.

Dredd needs to make money if you ever want to see a sequel or for other movies to be made with similar quality.

No money, movies with Dredd quality will be harder to come by.

I agree but I don't need a sequel. Hollywood is going to continue to do whatever the **** they want without and rhyme or reason.

Man, when you put it that way it does sort of suck. Kinda makes me sick.

Sure does.

I'm not saying Dredd needs to make Avengers/TDK/TDKR money, but look what box office mojo had to say (pretty depressing):

House at the End of The Street, End of Watch and Trouble with the Curve were all in a heated race for first place on Friday, though none of them were very impressive. At least they all did better than Dredd, which is looking like a major misfire at this point.

Dredd rounded out the Top Five with a terrible $2.23 million. That's close to April's Lockout ($2.22 million), which went on to earn just $14.3 million in its entire run. Dredd did at least do better than Shoot 'Em Up ($1.95 million), but that's a very minor consolation prize. The best case scenario looks like a $6.5 million haul for the three-day weekend.

:(

Last edited:

Well then it's up to us to go tell everyone we know. I do know, that this will have a cult following just like Robo Cop. Just give it time.

Well then it's up to us to go tell everyone we know. I do know, that this will have a cult following just like Robo Cop. Just give it time.

Only difference though is that Robocop made more than double its box office back just with domestic.

Only difference though is that Robocop made more than double its box office back just with domestic.

Yeah, I think more along the lines of Army of Darkness for flop to cult hit.

all of my friends who saw liked it, just needs to go viral

I saw it once in 3d...and once in regular D. I liked the 3d better, but I thought it was effective both ways. I'm not a big 3d guy either. I'm hoping it will pick up. It really was one of my favorite comic movies of the summer. I wonder if it will to do well as it opens up in more foreign countries.

Back