Statue JND Studios: The Dark Knight - Ledger Joker 1:3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The collectors who like the JND stuff are free to gush but I think they are kinda overrated. The Wonder Woman is the only piece that I feel is overwhelmingly great. Not that the rest are bad, they are nice but just way overpriced and not even necessarily better than their lower priced competition. A lot of what you are paying for is the low edition size and I can understand that being very appealing, it is a big plus.
That pretty absurd to a statue for a low es? I don't buy a statue for a low es. I buy it cuz its bad ass. You have your opinion. All that own it have ours. I have not heard one complaint. Other than minor things. But I would love to hear from owners, did you guys buy this statue for the low ES? LOL Peace

That pretty absurd to a statue for a low es? I don't buy a statue for a low es. I buy it cuz its bad ass. You have your opinion. All that own it have ours. I have not heard one complaint. Other than minor things. But I would love to hear from owners, did you guys buy this statue for the low ES? LOL Peace

Of course nobody buys a statue only for a low ES unless they are just flipping. But there are lots of people who collect stuff that they like with scarcity being a major factor.

You ask a really tough question and my reply takes into consideration what I have received this year and the cost comparison. Prices are approximate and include UK duty.
this year I have received:
Q Collectibles 1/4 Judge Dredd £740
TweeterHead 1/5 Hordak exclusive £475
QS 1/3 Batman Premium £1100
Prime 1 1/4 Alita Deluxe £800
Prime 1 JH Predator £2000
Pure arts 1/3 Stormtrooper £600
Iron Studios 1/4 Mandalorian £800
Sideshow 1/4 Silver Surfer Exclusive £540
JND 1/3 Joker £2275

When comparing companies and scales it’s like comparing apples to oranges and whilst cost is measurable no one can assign a measure to their own opinion and the emotional connection they feel.

Firstly the packaging. I first purchased a Cinemaquette around 15 years ago who were doing the solid coffin box, straps etc. So the packaging for me is nothing new or not what I would call a game changer. JND has really nice packaging which in this instance is very compact but no longer anything special. Q Collectibles Judge Dredd and Pure Arts Stormtrooper almost equal to it in regards to what I have received this year and at a third of the cost. It can be argued that JND box is more classy.

Unboxing: For me it was like unboxing a Hot Toy Quarter Scale figure. The Gun and Knife feel plastic and for a premium brand I would expect a metal finish. Tailoring is nice and requires Futzing.

Quality Control: my left foot is loose. I have seen post where the left foot became detached at the ankle due to what appears a lack of Glue. For me JND have to have perfect QC to be the leading premium brand.

is it the best value statue I have received this year. Without a doubt NO. Tweeterhead Hordak, Q Judge Dredd, PureArts Stormtrooper all IMHO easily beat it for the price I paid.

Is it the best Quality statue I have received this year. Again NO. That easily goes to Q Judge Dredd. Simply amazing Paint Apps and overall quality.

is it the best statue I have received this year. No. I would have equal arguments for IS Mandalorian, TH Ex Hordak and Q Judge Dredd. I love them all when considering the cost and overall quality.

Conclusion. This is where personal emotion comes into play. Regardless of everything I have just said above and in my previous posts I absolutely LOVE this statue. If I had to choose and only keep one statue from this year it would be JND Ledger Joker. This conclusion will make no sense but it’s the feeling I get from when I look at the raw intensity from the Joker portrait. Nothing matches it in terms of the connection I feel.

Should you buy it. Your Choice. Unfortunately, I doubt my reply will help you decide. My only advice is decide quickly!
Appreciate your thoughts, thank you. I've decided I want it already, I'm just waiting for my supplier to confirm if he has spares when he gets his batch next month.

I absolutely disagree! I will say they saved themselves with that extra head. Because the statue was pretty bad. The pose the face. Way too much going on. I was blown away. I mean P1 is hit and miss. I have the bust on order that is it. The statue nope. I have the JND and the QS 1/4th artist edition on PO as well. These two are the best in my opinion. But either way everyone should be happy. Just done with Prime ones cutting corners.
I know, you've told me many times you're not a fan of the Prime 1 piece lol. Personal opinions I guess. I feel like all the Ledger statues have got something right, but none of them really nailed it except maybe the QS 1/4 But we haven't seen production yet and my only issue with it is I wish it was in 1/3 scale because then it would crap on everything else.

I'm probably gonna end up with all of them at some point anyway Tbh lol.

People that constantly come back to put down a piece, just ignore it. It isn't worth the trouble.
Fair point.

I haven't seen anyone claiming to buy JND statues because of a low edition size. They're not even that low, given that many collectors are priced out. It's one reason that I don't delay on securing one for myself but I haven't really done that with any collectible these days, including Hot Toys and Sideshow. Never can tell 100% what will sell out quickly.

There are a few speculating that the high cost is explicitly tied to the edition size but there are clearly other factors in play. Obviously the more they manufacture, the lower they can keep costs but they also wouldn't be able to provide the same level of quality with higher edition sizes so it is what it is, as they say.

The gun definitely needs weathering, there's no excuse at 1/3 scale. If the hair and likeness don't bother you then there really is nothing like JND, intensity is the right word for him!
The collectors who like the JND stuff are free to gush but I think they are kinda overrated. The Wonder Woman is the only piece that I feel is overwhelmingly great. Not that the rest are bad, they are nice but just way overpriced and not even necessarily better than their lower priced competition. A lot of what you are paying for is the low edition size and I can understand that being very appealing, it is a big plus.
I have seen a few posts with members thoughts regarding cost.

IMHO the reason JND are charging what they do is that Cinemaquette were charging similar prices several years ago for a 1/3 statue with a silicon head. Cinemaquette had an audience, like myself, who were willing to pay the price. Granted the edition sizes nowhere near ever reached the max of their maximum 999 but their silicon heads were not as good as JND. We all have our own views of what’s worth a price but at the end of the day JND products at present are selling out

All of your “cordial and respectful” posts read like backhanded compliments. Keep reaching.

Those that like this, including myself, don’t have to “accept” shortcomings that you’ve found as universal truths.
That is your choice how to read into things. If you think backhanded means something that isn't 100% positive, then yes, but it isn't a personal attack on you. You're taking things way way too personally and you don't need to, try to think about it in a different way :)
It's basically being passive aggressive, or most likely. I haven't read his comments. But I can go on and on about Prime 1 statue. So, we all have our differences. Just ignore him. We have a statue that will be very hard to get in the future. That is bad ass. I personally love it. This, "oh it does not look like heath bs." I see him, I just find one fault the hair color. I wish it was lighter. Other than that, enjoy it. People that constantly come back to put down a piece, just ignore it. It isn't worth the trouble. It's a great statue. Peace! Everyone has an opinion, it's cool. But easy 9/10 easy!
I agree

I think if Chronos took your advice he would live a lot longer, it isn't worth the stress!

I think if Chronos took your advice he would live a lot longer, it isn't worth the stress!
Your concern for my health is appreciated! Though I’m living a happy and fulfilling life so it’s quite unnecessary. Probably much more so than those who can only complain and nitpick in life but, like yourself, I can only presume.

Anyhow, I don’t know that I’m brave enough to restyle the hair on this statue too much, certainly not brave enough to attempt any recoloring but hopefully there will be plenty of tips & advice available by the time I receive mine. Considering I haven’t received Wonder Woman yet (though supposedly soon) I’m likely looking at the latter end of Q1 2022.

It seems the hair really isn’t that thick once restyled and can achieve a nice, messier look as it did in the film. Honestly, it looks great either way though!

It seems the hair really isn’t that thick once restyled and can achieve a nice, messier look as it did in the film. Honestly, it looks great either way though!

The first thing I was going to do was trial twizzling the hair with my fingers, or removing the gel in a patch; as it did seem to be put on too thickly. Glad to see the results of someone that has already did this, as it looks great. I am interested in seeing the colour of the hair with the stock gel removed

People that constantly come back to put down a piece, just ignore it. It isn't worth the trouble.
Fair point.
The first thing I was going to do was trial twizzling the hair with my fingers, or removing the gel in a patch; as it did seem to be put on too thickly. Glad to see the results of someone that has already did this, as it looks great. I am interested in seeing the colour of the hair with the stock gel removed
That’s what I’m thinking. A little manual persuasion and maybe just a little bit of water on your fingertips to loosen the product that’s already in place. Probably start in the back, where it’s less likely to be viewed, and see how it works out.

Your concern for my health is appreciated! Though I’m living a happy and fulfilling life so it’s quite unnecessary. Probably much more so than those who can only complain and nitpick in life but, like yourself, I can only presume.
I'll let you have the last word as that's obviously very important to you

Now back to talking about the statue!

:peace

Oooft, just came from the Prime 1 thread and caught up on that.

It exemplifies for me one of the main reasons JND are expensive and worth it: Their promise of proto to end product in your hand. The item you are pre-ordering is pretty much give or take exactly what you end up with.

xpl0sive you won't regret it.

Also just to chime in on the last page of arguments, both myself and Fett whom own the statue have given honest criticism of the piece. But the pros far, far outweigh these cons in my opinion. If they can sort out their hairlines and pay that little bit more attention to detail (for example Jokers all green hair not being right) then they border on as close to perfection for a high-end movie collectible statue.

Oddly enough, I'm observing in person with Arthur Fleck and Joker that Kojun has a sort of style to his sculpts which probably explains some people's criticism of the likeness. His sculpts seem to have a quasi stylised/realistic touch to them; in comparison Soyoung Lee's sculpt on WW is more life-like.

I just set mine up next to my half scale Prime 1 Joker. The difference is substantial. The JND really feels like it is from the movie. The sculpting down to the hands is filled with tension, which is not something we normally get from movie statues.

Oooft, just came from the Prime 1 thread and caught up on that.

It exemplifies for me one of the main reasons JND are expensive and worth it: Their promise of proto to end product in your hand. The item you are pre-ordering is pretty much give or take exactly what you end up with.

xpl0sive you won't regret it.

Also just to chime in on the last page of arguments, both myself and Fett whom own the statue have given honest criticism of the piece. But the pros far, far outweigh these cons in my opinion. If they can sort out their hairlines and pay that little bit more attention to detail (for example Jokers all green hair not being right) then they border on as close to perfection for a high-end movie collectible statue.

Oddly enough, I'm observing in person with Arthur Fleck and Joker that Kojun has a sort of style to his sculpts which probably explains some people's criticism of the likeness. His sculpts seem to have a quasi stylised/realistic touch to them; in comparison Soyoung Lee's sculpt on WW is more life-like.
Absolutely, nothing is perfect and criticism is part of the honest appraisal of a piece. I hope one day to own a JND, I wonder what licences they will acquire in the future?

Yeah prime 1 doesn't look great, maybe the bust will fare better....

I'll let you have the last word
Thanks! :inlove

If they can sort out their hairlines and pay that little bit more attention to detail (for example Jokers all green hair not being right) then they border on as close to perfection for a high-end movie collectible statue.
I'm confident with the studio. They've been great about listening to feedback so far. Considering this is only their 3rd offering I'm excited to see what they're capable of as they hone their craft.

Absolutely, nothing is perfect and criticism is part of the honest appraisal of a piece. I hope one day to own a JND, I wonder what licences they will acquire in the future?

Yeah prime 1 doesn't look great, maybe the bust will fare better....
I was thinking Prime 1 bust would have the best portrait, but after seeing how the standard one turned out compared to the prototype, it seems a bit risky to wait until March-May next year for in-hand pics for P1 bust portrait when JND is already looking pretty good.

I know, you've told me many times you're not a fan of the Prime 1 piece lol. Personal opinions I guess. I feel like all the Ledger statues have got something right, but none of them really nailed it except maybe the QS 1/4 But we haven't seen production yet and my only issue with it is I wish it was in 1/3 scale because then it would crap on everything else.

I'm probably gonna end up with all of them at some point anyway Tbh lol.
Ya same with me, but not the P1 statue, just the bust! Qs I cannot wait to see that one.

Back