J.J. Abrams' Star Trek (POTENTIAL SPOILERS)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got back from this and WOW... Wow on a whole other level... It was one of the most enjoyable film experiences in my life. Just a blast from start to finish.

Pine NAILED Kirk, Quinto NAILED Spock, Urban NAILED Mccoy... the list goes on and on. The story was emotional, exciting, funny, dramatic and nostalgic all at the same time. It really was one HELL of a ride. I went with 3 others (including my Wife) and they all absolutely loved it, not a single one of them had a nitpick at all. They wanted to go right back in and watch it again, and so did I. I'm already salivating at another chance to see it.

I've been a Trek fan since I was in diapers, but never before have I felt so excited for the future of this franchise. Honestly, the character development they were able to squeeze in was pretty astonishing. And some of the larger scenes will shock you, I still can't believe that they actually did what they did. You will know what I am talking about when you see it. A HUGE change to the mythos and a big game changer for Spock from here on out.

I was nearly in tears at the end, it was really THAT good. :rock:rock:rock:rock

Good news--QMx (the company that made the replicas of the new Enterprise from this film) got the license for Star Trek and will be making Enterprise replicas available to the public at some point.

Man, I am actually excited to see a Star Trek film! Pinch me because I must be dreaming. Never thought the day would come when I say I want to see a Star Trek film so badly, and it's actually being called a fun movie! WOW! Star Trek and fun are two things you don't get to see in one sentence too often.. if ever. Not until now! :rock

Oh my god. I hated Star Trek, found it utterly boring and ABSOLUTELY LOVED this film. The wife and I are going to go see it again. Its that good. Its what Star Wars should have been in the prequels and the bar is set amazingly high for the TV Series compared to this. I want to be Jim Kirk! :lol

I can't say enough about it and since this is a Potential Spoilers thread let me just say two things, 1: Its a reboot, if you didn't get that you weren't paying attention to Spock's monologue and Spock Prime's explanation on how it is so, I'll go into that when enough people have seen it and we open for actual discussion, the folks who are saying other wise latched on the the "Alternative Reality" line a little too literally and didn't pay attention to the meat of the speech. 2: I want an Enterprise. The new version is fantastic.

I posted a review on my Facebook for those who want to be spoiled.

Seems like people have nothing but good things to say about this movie. :rock Tomorrow I'm seeing this with my father, whose name is actually Jim Kirk. :lol

My familiarity with the Classic Trek gang is limited to the movies and the episode Space Seed (Wrath of Khan is one of my all-time favorites, let alone favorite Trek), so i had to see that one.

I look forward to seeing a new take on these characters. One thing that was absent from TNG that the original series had was that Kirk-Spock-McCoy dynamic, I sure hope that's somewhat preserved.

Also very anxious to check out this character development, sounds like the highlight of the film and at a 2 hour run time that seems very impressive.

My familiarity with the Classic Trek gang is limited to the movies and the episode Space Seed (Wrath of Khan is one of my all-time favorites, let alone favorite Trek), so i had to see that one.

I look forward to seeing a new take on these characters. One thing that was absent from TNG that the original series had was that Kirk-Spock-McCoy dynamic, I sure hope that's somewhat preserved.

Also very anxious to check out this character development, sounds like the highlight of the film and at a 2 hour run time that seems very impressive.

That was my biggest concern going in, I really wanted the TRINITY to work. And my fears were eliminated completely. Bones and Kirk have a great back and forth through the film, until they split and then we get Kirk and Spock for a while until the end. It really does give you that old feeling, one guy who is emotional and kinda cranky, one who is cocky and kinda reckless, and one who is logical and somewhat torn between his two sides. It's completely preserved.

The even had time to develop the rest of the cast, we got that Chekov is a genius, Sulu loves to fence and is a Hell of a pilot, Uhura is damn good at her work, and Scotty is hilarious and a bit of a genius himself. They even seemed to develop Uhura and Scotty even more than they ever were on the show or the movies. It's really amazing how much that they achieved in this ONE film, especially considering the pace.

And as for old episodes, I would highly recommend Amok Time, The City On the Edge Of Forever and The Devil in The Dark for a good fix on the Bones, Spock, Kirk dynamic. Those are some of my all time faves.

And the bandwagon starts!..still love old Trek no matter how many media whores jump on this new one FTW!.

I for one am HAPPY to have a bandwagon at all. Star Trek has had a stigma for far too long, it's been looked down upon for years. I hid my love of Trek for a long time, because I got too tired of defending it. But now, it's back with a vengeance. People will see that Trek is fun and exciting, and hopefully it will shed that old stigma and inspire an entire new generation.

I say WELCOME to bandwagoneers, glad to have you guys aboard. :duff

I for one am HAPPY to have a bandwagon at all. Star Trek has had a stigma for far too long, it's been looked down upon for years. I hid my love of Trek for a long time, because I got too tired of defending it. But now, it's back with a vengeance. People will see that Trek is fun and exciting, and hopefully it will shed that old stigma and inspire an entire new generation.

I say WELCOME to bandwagoneers, glad to have you guys aboard. :duff

I grew up on TNG, really developed a love for the classic movies in the last 5 years or so. I'll admit I'm a special effects snob and the old tv show was bit too cheesy for me :lol TNG is one of my all-time favorite TV shows though, I was dissappointed with DS9 and more so with Voyager. It bummed me out when the TNG-based movies ceased, I thought that'd be the end of Trek that I could enjoy, but this movie sounds very promising.

Character and actor are so important. That's what I feel was lacking in DS9 and Voyager, they just didn't come up with the personalities and relationships to make it work, hell DS9 had to bring Worf in to try and save it.

I grew up on TNG, really developed a love for the classic movies in the last 5 years or so. I'll admit I'm a special effects snob and the old tv show was bit too cheesy for me :lol TNG is one of my all-time favorite TV shows though, I was dissappointed with DS9 and more so with Voyager. It bummed me out when the TNG-based movies ceased, I thought that'd be the end of Trek that I could enjoy, but this movie sounds very promising.

Character and actor are so important. That's what I feel was lacking in DS9 and Voyager, they just didn't come up with the personalities and relationships to make it work, hell DS9 had to bring Worf in to try and save it.

I was the same way, I grew up on TNG and the TOS movies. I had to discover the original series episodes when I was older. I can say that the HD rework salvages the show, it really makes it much more watchable. It fixed a lot of the FX, which helps immensely. So if you ever do decide to watch them, watch the remastered versions.

The other series' didn't have that same magic, because...as you said... the actors were unable to recapture that fun feeling and develop those great relationships that made the first series so much fun to watch.

I just saw the first showing last night at 7:00 pm at the only IMAX showing it in my state of Louisiana. I took a good friend from work who is also an old "Trekkie" like I am. I think I've said it before somewhere on this thread that the original Star Trek was the first TV show I remember seeing in re-reruns back in 1975 when I was 4 years old. Yeah, I can remember that far back. I'm 38 now. So I never had to jump on the "bandwagon". I was always a Star Trek fan. Through the good (Star Trek II), and the bad (Star Trek V).

Anyway, on to this new Star Trek movie. Wow! Both my friend and I were VERY happy with the movie! It was FUN! It was emotional, gripping, with dashes of humor, and a nice "nod" of nostalgia thrown into a great story that kept me on the edge of my seat all the way to the end! OUTSTANDING MOVIE! Seeing it on the HUGE IMAX screen was a real treat. If you can see it IMAX do it! It's worth every single penny of the extra money to see it in IMAX. :D The awesome crystal clear picture and the incredible sound system blew us away. The performances were outstanding all around. All of the new actors NAILED their parts without question! I was....satisfied...with this movie. Not in a LONG time has there been a movie that comes along and hits it for me on all points. Story, special effects, performances, etc. I left with a strong sense of satisfaction, and some relief. I could finally take that big breath I was holding in hoping that this movie would pay off. It did. BIG TIME! It was SO nice to see Leonard Nimoy back as Spock, for probably the last time. I will definitely see it again, and buy the Blu-Ray when it's released without question. J.J. Abrams deserves big accolades for this one. I can't thank him enough for bringing back one of my most beloved franchises in my life. Thank you Mr. Abrams. Now...bring on the next one! I'm ready for more! :D

"Two Thumps Up"!, "5 stars", for me honestly....a "10 out of 10"! :joy

Never seen Star Trek before. Didn't give a ^^^^ about it, thought it would be boring...

Saw this movie and it was AWESOME.... instant fan! Any chance of Hot Toys doing a line?

Oh YEAH....they left it at the perfect mark for anything in the future. It's ripe and ready for at least 3 more stories, but I'm sure they could do more than that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure for the 60's, the original series was cutting edge, but by the time I was watching tv like that it was like '88 and TNG was sort of at the cusp of modern effects so the Trek I watched evolved with the rest of the community.

I'm sure I might have some different feelings once I see this movie, but right now, I still regard the first film / Wrath of Khan NCC-1701 as the best enterprise design. I like that this one is sort of a marriage of both NCC-1701 designs plus some of the more modern aesthetics of the NCC-1701-E.

I will always have a soft spot for TOS Enterprise NCC-1701. It's classic and simple. But this new design marries that with modern aesthetics in a way that makes it look phenomenal. I love the design of it, and all the classic sounds are there!! :rock2

Back