Ironman 1/4th Maquette paint apps- widespread problems?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know it was looked over? Where you at the factory to see each piece get the once over?

Unless Tim (GM of Weta), was lying, then yes, they were all looked over before leaving China. He even commented how the FB paint job turned out better then the initial prototype.

I'll agree, as it turned out, the veneer finish was not a good choice (a decision that is no doubt costing Weta a lot of dollars now), but to say that they weren't all checked and left the factory just fine is of course a baseless accusation which we know not to be true.

Yeah, plain and simple some oversight on a few pieces over the course of 2800. They cannot humanly check all 2800 pieces and not miss something. Just not gonna happen.

That's not a third option, that's number 2, "No one looked at them, the QC sticker was just slapped on the side and it was all sent out."
Even if the reason is because they "cannot humanly check them all", then it's still option 2.
Unless your saying that they were all checked and the simple "oversight" was that the chin wasn't noticed. Really... given the photo's we have all seen, could anyone even just quickly look at those and not notice the chin?

Unless Tim (GM of Weta), was lying, then yes, they were all looked over before leaving China. He even commented how the FB paint job turned out better then the initial prototype.

I'll agree, as it turned out, the veneer finish was not a good choice (a decision that is no doubt costing Weta a lot of dollars now), but to say that they weren't all checked and left the factory just fine is of course a baseless accusation which we know not to be true.

I know who Tim is. I've actually met the man. Very nice guy. I like him a lot. The only thing I will say was did every piece get made infront of him for him to see that. I'm sure he's going off what he was told by factory people.

Its just as baseless as the accusations made in this thread and on this board nearly everyday against SS. Thats why I said earlier these kinds of things are just freaking ignorant to say. There is no proof to back it up. Sticking with the facts is much easier and more truthful.

That's not a third option, that's number 2, "No one looked at them, the QC sticker was just slapped on the side and it was all sent out."
Even if the reason is because they "cannot humanly check them all", then it's still option 2.
Unless your saying that they were all checked and the simple "oversight" was that the chin wasn't noticed. Really... given the photo's we have all seen, could anyone even just quickly look at those and not notice the chin?

No, its a third. Please tell me you get that? Some may not have noticed it. There are a lot of factors. Hell, in some of the photos posted I had to look 3-4 times to see some of the issues. Hell, I looked mine over for 20 mins before I started taking pics and reviewing it. So yeah, with some of them it may not have been noticed just because it got overlooked.

Some of yall must really love conspiracy theories. :lol

I know who Tim is. I've actually met the man. Very nice guy. I like him a lot. The only thing I will say was did every piece get made infront of him for him to see that. I'm sure he's going off what he was told by factory people.

Not a factory person, if it wasn't Tim himself, then it was a Weta employee, they have someone on-site, full-time to oversee quality and production.

No, its a third. Please tell me you get that? Some may not have noticed it. There are a lot of factors. Hell, in some of the photos posted I had to look 3-4 times to see some of the issues. Hell, I looked mine over for 20 mins before I started taking pics and reviewing it. So yeah, with some of them it may not have been noticed just because it got overlooked.

Sorry Josh, can't agree, there isn't a third option. I've seen photo's that even from a distance, you can see the chin had something wrong, once you got more closer, it was a total mess.
We are talking about a smooth, shiny, metal surface here, imperfections just stand out. Sure, if it was maybe the back, inside foot or some spot on the base and only a few mm long it could be missed, but please, don't tell me you could look at the face, the first place anyone looks at on a statue and miss all of the chin paint issues we have seen.
Seriously, it would take a split second of looking at the face to see the problem, you do get that, don't you?
As such, it was either noticed and shipped off anyway or just not looked at and shipped off anyway. It's not a conspiracy theory, it's not guess work, it's not some baseless accusation, it's just common sense.
You can come up with various reasons why, they made 2800, they just can't check them all. Fine, maybe they can't, but that still only leaves those two options, for whatever reasons you like to guess about.

One of two things happened. Either they knew there was an issue and shipped them anyway or they placed QC stickers on statues that did not pass through QC. Either way that is unacceptable IMO.

I realize these things are suppose to be expensive. The term high end collectable implies this. But with that expense should come the highest standards in materials, construction and QC. The 1:2 scale IM is $2k, and hollow as a piggybank. Seems wrong to me. Just my opinion. Josh be gentle with me :)

i dunno guys. i believe perhaps the person overlooking QC may not have been an Iron Man fan:dunno

i mean my friends who have seen the statue were saying it looked ok and even gave me some strange looks when i pointed out the flaws.

Let's give SS the benefit of the doubt by saying that they were looked at BUT a person with MORE Iron Man knowledge should be put in charge of IM QC.

I have the IM 1:2 scale. Though not without issues, i have to say it doesn't feel as hollow as the pictures suggest. :lecture

Sorry man but you are off base on this one.

It's pure speculation that someone from SS knew about this beforehand and this was not rushed to be on time.

In fact it's a quarter early. :cuckoo:
speculation maybe but who`s name is on the box?i think many annoyed buyers realise this piece was DEFINATELY not rushed.strange reply?

Last edited:
i dunno guys. i believe perhaps the person overlooking QC may not have been an Iron Man fan:dunno

i mean my friends who have seen the statue were saying it looked ok and even gave me some strange looks when i pointed out the flaws.

Let's give SS the benefit of the doubt by saying that they were looked at BUT a person with MORE Iron Man knowledge should be put in charge of IM QC.

I have the IM 1:2 scale. Though not without issues, i have to say it doesn't feel as hollow as the pictures suggest. :lecture

I don't think the painters need to be fans in order to do the job well. Basically the company should have trained to paint well and know what is unacceptable. Similarly the QC as well.

If bad pieces are returned, the company should investigate on two things. One is those bad pieces have the QC passed stickers? If so, QC is sleeping on their jobs. If alot of bad pieces do not have stickers, then the company should increase their QC sampling checks.

Specific details related to the character may be missed by a non-fan but common sense errors like chipping, orange peel, lining off, unable to light up shouldn't be.

Yeah, plain and simple some oversight on a few pieces over the course of 2800. They cannot humanly check all 2800 pieces and not miss something. Just not gonna happen.

Yes QC do not do 100% checks, they do sampling checks. If QC stickers are pasted on bad pieces, how will one perceive the standards of their QC?

As customers, we will be very much disgusted to discover a faulty product with a QC sticker on it than one without.

How you perceive it I suppose depends on how much of a conspiracy theory you might be. Thing is some where missed and ss is doing everything to fix it.

I've dropped entire lines due to poor QC (Ie: Dinosauria). I've had to return almost every piece SS has ever sent me for replacment or refund. I dont think I've ever been shipped something from SS and...JUST KEPT IT. This is NOT just a few IM pieces with issues, if SS has stopped shipping statues till the end of the year...its clearly MORE than a few. The 1:1 IM Bust was more than a "few" with issues....the 1/2 IM was more than a "few" with issues. They obviously are creating a bad track record for their IM line. How anyone is still able to PO a IM collectible from SS and keep a stright face is beyond me. When I first saw this 1/4 go up for PO I KNEW it was going to be plagued with more issues...I just had a feeling. And you know what, WM will have issues as well. SS's QC has become so predictable that its getting easier and easier to NOT order something from them. The longer they keep having these same issues attched to inflated prices the harder it will be for them to gain new customers. The older loyal customers will slowly taper off. Thats when SS will start making collectibles out of even CHEAPER materials to try and recoupe the cash thats not coming in like it use to. Its already started...

Dinosauria line....Hollow
LSB line..hollow
1:1 Im bust...hollow
1:1 Hulk bust...hollow
1:1 Carnage bust...hollow
1:1 Thor bust.......hollow
1/2 Iron man......paper thin AND hollow

The list gos on and on....

As much as I hate to think about it, I believe the new Optimus prime maquette will arrive with issues as well as the Legacy nitery maquette. Only time will tell...

Chris

While I agree that some have come out of poor quality, I think there have been several instant classics released lately.

Man-Thing
Evil Queen PF

A few Iron Man pieces with problem and all of a sudden they've stopped making quality items? :rotfl

I'm curious if you have proof to back up these BS accusations. If you feel that way why are you here and still buying their stuff?

how low has quality craftsmanship sunk, when the attitude is 'if you don't like it, don't buy it'?

how about, make a quality product and you'll keep your customers happy.

Yes QC do not do 100% checks, they do sampling checks. If QC stickers are pasted on bad pieces, how will one perceive the standards of their QC?

As customers, we will be very much disgusted to discover a faulty product with a QC sticker on it than one without.

Have you ever gotten (or seen) a shipped SS piece WITHOUT a yellow qc sticker on it?? I hope not..

Getting a faulty one just s#cks, always..

speculation maybe but who`s name is on the box?i think many annoyed buyers realise this piece was DEFINATELY not rushed.strange reply?

you were suggesting earlier that the piece was rushed to meet the release date.

This is not factual. It was not rushed to meet the release date.

Whether it was rushed in production for other reasons remain to be seen BUT if there was a reason, it was NOT to meet the release date :dunno

I don't think the painters need to be fans in order to do the job well. Basically the company should have trained to paint well and know what is unacceptable. Similarly the QC as well.

If bad pieces are returned, the company should investigate on two things. One is those bad pieces have the QC passed stickers? If so, QC is sleeping on their jobs. If alot of bad pieces do not have stickers, then the company should increase their QC sampling checks.

Specific details related to the character may be missed by a non-fan but common sense errors like chipping, orange peel, lining off, unable to light up shouldn't be.

My theory is the guys tasked to paint the statue weren't up to speed on the steps or the steps for production was not well thought out enough.

They prob painted the whole head red, then painted the mouth in and then added the faceplate.

The QC guy prob gave it a 10 second glance and just made sure it looked right.

Is this wise, prob not. Have they learnt from it? Look like yes since they are now stating they need 90 - 120 days to rectify the problem.

As far as orange peel, its really not that bad.
:1-1:

Well since the Customer Service is good (as many people here said so), maybe the person who heads this dept should be transferred to QC or production. :)

Well I have just finished destroying my IM and I have gotta say it was not a very enjoyable experience!! :thwak:ohbfrank: I hope I NEVER ever have to do this again...

But on the positive side at least I will get a new one and I :pray: he will be perfect this time, even if it is 3-4 months down the road ffrom now, I can wait that wont be a problem, coz I cant display any of my stuff at the moment anyway.

What and how is everyone going about to destroy these Ironman Maquettes? I'm waiting on a reply from Sideshow. I've been very busy lately, and just recently had time to take a few pics of my maquette and send to them. What makes the difference between sending it back or destroying it?

Back