Iron Man 3 - 1/6th scale Iron Man Mark XXI (Midas) Diecast Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I got this guy coming Monday and all I find myself doing is worrying about the QC issues. Really hope its just a scuff on a head or something, bc I really don't want to ship it back for a swap as I never had to do before. This whole situation really kills my excitement for it unless it arrives flawless(not likely). ��

z37, Congrats on picking this guy up.You will be blown away when you open this Figure.It's really a beautiful piece much more in person.Hopefully no issues.

I LOVE GOOOOOOOOOOOLD

image-from-ios-1.jpg

Have a pic of your setup in the background? Looks epic!

z37, Congrats on picking this guy up.You will be blown away when you open this Figure.It's really a beautiful piece much more in person.Hopefully no issues.

Thanks for the optimism! Its funny, I just got a Hulkbuster in after always wanting one, its been a sort of unattainable figure for me for a long time, but for some reason I'm looking forward to this more.. I really love how the gold looks in pics and reviews. Not to mention I have always wanted a Mark VII and this sort of ticks the box. I don't even own a real Iron Man armor that has been in movies. I have all the Neon Techs and the concept 46, so this fits with my theme too(though it is a HPP armor). Pretty stoked for it to come in and see that gold shine under my blaring cool white leds lol.

So got this in on Monday and he's brilliant! I was relieved to find the QC issues just on a forearm gauntlet and on my mask. No other scuffing/rubbing anywhere! Most people probably wouldn't have cared but I do, so put in for replacement parts. He really stands out tremendously with the gold/bronze shine I love it. My problem is having him now, I feel I need the Avengers Mark 7 to go side by side for contrast lol. The pics really don't do this justice at all, but here's a few.Midas.1.jpgmidas 2.1.jpg

Looks fantastic, I had a few replacement parts from Ssc too, new leg and new head bc of scuffs, everything worked out great.

Thanks! At least sideshow has always been on the ball with their service for me, so not worried one bit. Just super relieved its not on numerous pieces that would require a total figure swap. But I can understand how easy it could be for the figure to be damged by scuffs while in the shipping process.

Sideshow quoted me this nonsense in their e-mail which really frustrated me but at least they agreed to replacement...though they haven't replied yes to me yet.
I'm pretty sure the armor parts are not hand-painted, and this should not be an acceptable norm for a figure of this price.

"Please know that after comparing your photos to our in-house sample and a few stock pieces, we have found that your request regarding the white marks on the abdomen appear to be a common variation, as all the collectibles I examined looked similar to your current item.

Please keep in mind that all of these collectibles are hand-painted by individual artists, so there will be slight variations in the paint application and detail work between pieces. Please be advised that any replacement we may send you will be extremely similar (if not completely identical) in regards to the white marks."

I'm pretty sure the armor parts are not hand-painted, and this should not be an acceptable norm for a figure of this price.

"Please know that after comparing your photos to our in-house sample and a few stock pieces, we have found that your request regarding the white marks on the abdomen appear to be a common variation, as all the collectibles I examined looked similar to your current item.

Please keep in mind that all of these collectibles are hand-painted by individual artists, so there will be slight variations in the paint application and detail work between pieces. Please be advised that any replacement we may send you will be extremely similar (if not completely identical) in regards to the white marks."

That's likely boilerplate response for Iron Men figures, the vast majority of which have scuffs and scratches painted on in white or silver as wear marks and light battle damage, and that is done by hand. Midas is a rare clean armor, and every time one of those comes out every molecule of actual scratches and scuffs stands out hard.

Sideshow quoted me this nonsense in their e-mail which really frustrated me but at least they agreed to replacement...though they haven't replied yes to me yet.

I got that same exact response. Afterwards they mentioned that the parts for the paint was scuffed off was a problem. In my response I even said I don’t understand what’s white spot you were talking about and the only thing I could think about was the dust that was on the figure. Not to know that it’s just a canned response that’s really disheartening. With my scuffed up Iron Man I ended up just taking $50. I was just so concerned I was gonna end up with one that looks even worse. Well it looks really nice in the cabinet I’m very disappointed with the paint job.

I felt like I hit the lottery when mine came with no torso scuffing now(was in a forearm gauntlet and mask tho). I would be pretty pissed if sideshow came back with this sort of response to an issue with a fig. Could you guys post some pics of your scuffed torsos, just curious.

My torso had a couple scuffs, not too bad, I could live with it. But then I got to looking a little closer and the legs are a total mess, black scuffing and wear all over the place. I expected it to happen but it's still disappointing that such an expensive figure has this issue.

My torso had a couple scuffs, not too bad, I could live with it. But then I got to looking a little closer and the legs are a total mess, black scuffing and wear all over the place. I expected it to happen but it's still disappointing that such an expensive figure has this issue.

Sorry to hear.

You gonna put in for an exchange?

Sorry to hear.

You gonna put in for an exchange?

Yup, waiting to hear back from Sideshow. Hoping I won't have to send the entire figure back or anything, but given the fact that it's almost the whole thing except the arms I'm thinking they'll want to do a full exchange.

hope it works out for you.This Figure should be perfect..

it's really a shame that Sideshow has to deal with all these issues when the fault is totally Hot Toys quality control.You would think Sideshow would demand better from Hot Toys.I mean the amount of Hot Toys issues Sideshow receives resulting in returns or replacements has to be astronomical.We are looking at a multitude of Figures from every genre.It's honestly mind boggling considering we are just talking one Figure.And only Sideshows allotment from Hot Toys.

Last edited:
So I just did a thorough inspection of the King. I found only the slightest smudge on the crotch piece. Other than that, it is a beautiful heavy figure of the Golden Child.

Back