InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. And yeah I'm not seeing much of a likeness in this sculpt either. Which makes me worried now for their Aragorn, which is the figure I was really looking forward to. Because if they can't capture Gandalf with his exaggerated old man features, it doesn't give me much hope for someone as notoriously difficult to capture as Viggo Mortensen.

Thanks guys. And yeah I'm not seeing much of a likeness in this sculpt either. Which makes me worried now for their Aragorn, which is the figure I was really looking forward to. Because if they can't capture Gandalf with his exaggerated old man features, it doesn't give me much hope for someone as notoriously difficult to capture as Viggo Mortensen.
That's the figure I'm interested in. I'm fine with the Asmus Gandalf the Grey.

Yeah, it's a lifelike head sculpt, but something about the eyes - and eyebrows, is throwing the likeness off.

C5hJQji.jpg

This just looks like a shallow focal length issue to me.

different-lenses-focal-length-perspective-spatial-distortion-example-gif-fb.png

I think they said if everything goes well that Batman will be this month but that it's not 100%. Not surprised if Paul and Batman get delayed in announcements. Wouldn't blame them for wanting to space out announcements from one another.

When Joker went up for order, didn't they say all those silhouettes would be revealed by end of May? Then that got changed to just Paul and Gandalf a few weeks later. I just read their Batman post a few days ago.

I do agree with the comments being made about it lacking the character of Gandalf. And yes realistic doesn't necessarily translate into superb likeness. I had that argument so many times about the Prime 1 Police Assault Terminator statue....super realistic and terribly inaccurate with the likeness.

I think the one on the left looks more like Gandalf...
Yeah that Hobbit comparison isn't the best. Ian is noticeably older looking in it since it was 11-13 years later.

Even in Fellowship alone he can look different from shot to shot.

Nc2BG0C.png
tbjBbZh.png

Qb2xG5T.png
33MmSFr.png

6k1ncgx.png

I disagree. You can still see the eyes are essentially the same there, and neither of the Gandalf pics is shot at that extreme a focal length.

I dunno, the figure's face looks quite flat to me.

A complete front view like this is a bad way to show off a sculpt, anyway. If there's one thing I think Queen has been pretty consistently bad at so far, it's the marketing decisions.

Good ref. The mustache shape is fairly consistent, and Queen needs to fix that to help sell the likeness.
Definitely, the one on the proto is covering too much of the mouth, I believe trimming the excess and revealing more of the lips would do wonders to improve the likeness, but then again we won't know for sure how this will look until it's out.

Even with different lighting and color grading, it's still obviously McKellan, something the InArt sculpt can't convey or match.

Ironically the shot from Rivendell sells the Asmus sculpt because it looks smoother haha.

Back