InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Likeness issues aside, it's kind of blowing my mind how life-like this sculpt looks.
That's a 2 inch sculpt that you're looking right there. :medic Could pass for a 1/1 bust or a wax statue. Figures have come a looooonngg way, production stuff aside.

Agreed. I kept re-looking at it to make sure I wasn't being punk'd.

Again, I'm hoping a few more pictures might give a better idea how accurate or off the sculpt is.

This was a figure I was excited to see but less inclined to purchase... but I have to say I'm leaning towards buying now even if I see Robert DeNiro now behind that wiry beard.

Yeah, it's a lifelike head sculpt, but something about the eyes - and eyebrows, is throwing the likeness off.

C5hJQji.jpg
I don't think this is a legitimate comparison photo to use. The figure has a stern demeanor while the photo is a bit forlorn. Of course the eyes and brows are going to look different.

I don't think this is a legitimate comparison photo to use. The figure has a stern demeanor while the photo is a bit forlorn. Of course the eyes and brows are going to look different.
I know, it wasn't supposed to be a "See?" comparison, more like something to get a general idea, since McKellen's eyes always look mostly like that, and his eyebrows usually look more arched than that, too, no matter the scene.

Anyway, here's hoping for more pics soon, but while I'm wowed by this likeness:

esKM6Rd.jpg

... InArt's offering doesn't wow me like I hoped it would, even if it's awesomely life-like.

I’m somewhat relieved that, so far, this is not enticing me to salivate over the prospect of owning one the way their Joker did from the very first image.

Sure, the hair is done well, plus it’s sculpted and painted incredibly but it just isn’t Ian McKellen. Paint it as much a you like; without the likeness, it’s a wasted effort- and I’m just not seeing him in the sculpt.

Gandalf is the last Asmus figure in need of an upgrade imo so, while I’m aware that I’m looking for reasons to skip the IA release, I also believe it is objectively a weaker likeness’s and that’s what really counts at the higher price point.

The Queen just seems to lack a definite expression. Can't read his face. His very realistic face.
I’ve been trying to figure out what’s bothering me about the sculpt, it’s this.

It’s a beautiful piece of art but much like the Bilbo figure coming from Asmus, the expression hurts it by not giving the feel of Gandalf.

It’s very, very clearly an upgrade from the Asmus version. It’s just not one I’m sure I want to spend $500+ on.

Very curious how sales will be for rooted hair offerings. I wonder down the road when Inarts has a few SKU’s in the market (Gandalf, Joker) they may find that sales are low due to price and reduce manufacturing cost to sculpted hair. For me I think Gandalf looks good here but I am not putting any stock into this as I am not willing to spend $500+ on a 1/6 figure!

Yeah, a $500+ price tag really requires the sculpt to not only be life-like but also read as the character (actor).

An arched eyebrow, a curl of the lip, something that gives us a hint of character and expression.

definitely very realistic and life-like, but similar to some JND pieces, while being very realistic, they lack a little something in the likeness. Maybe if the hair wasn't in the Moria look but brushed back, then it would possibly look more like Ian McKellan?

And I know everyone is fixated on the likeness as that's the most important thing obviously, but if they miss the little detail of the thumb holes on the long sleeve undershirt, I wonder what other details in the clothing they will be missing. It will also be interesting to find out if Glamdring is made of metal like the Asmus one or not.

The more I look at it, the more I hate the sculpt.

Everyone been acting like QS is perfection, but their statues have shown they can fail here and there.

Hope the feedback around Chinese forums are saying the same thing about the likeness so they are more inclined to update it.

definitely very realistic and life-like, but similar to some JND pieces, while being very realistic, they lack a little something in the likeness. Maybe if the hair wasn't in the Moria look but brushed back, then it would possibly look more like Ian McKellan?

And I know everyone is fixated on the likeness as that's the most important thing obviously, but if they miss the little detail of the thumb holes on the long sleeve undershirt, I wonder what other details in the clothing they will be missing. It will also be interesting to find out if Glamdring is made of metal like the Asmus one or not.
Definitely agree with this and most comments here, the head is really well sculpted but something is throwing off the likeness, I think the moustache/mouth area and eyes are what's screwing with it, trimming the moustache and painting the eyes a lighter shade of blue would be a massive improvement if this quick edit I made is anything to go by.
gandalfedit2.png

Idk, I like it but I am also more of a fan of the books than the movies even though I love both for what they are. So to me, a 100% likeness to the actor is not as important as the realism.

Asmus unfortunately doesn't quite get where I would want on likeness or realism.

This looks like it could hit the mark on realism and the likeness isn't so off that it looks distinctly like another person so in my mind it's a near perfect rendition of a book Gandalf with a passing resemblance to McKellen.

I'm glad others are seeing what I'm seeing. I appreciate how different the texture of the beard and hair are but the likeness isn't hitting me like it should. I kinda like my Asmus more. Regardless of its obvious problems.

20210823_073414.jpg

I can see issues with both Asmus and Queen likeness.

Price will really tell us where this lands on the Asmus vs Queen scale. The caveat "for the price" does have a baring as long as the spread is significant.

Asmus Gandalf is $350. If Queen is $500-$600 then yeah, for what you get Asmus may be the better deal. But if this comes in at the unlikely under $$450-$500, then I would find it hard to argue that Asmus is superior regardless of what people "see" in it.

Last edited:
They’re both good figures, Asmus has a slightly better resemblance, Queen has slightly better rooting. Just depends on pricing for the individual buyer imo.

I'm just not a fan of Asmus production sculpt and it's quality overall. The eyes are painted poorly, looks too soft and I honestly just don't see the likeness in it. The prototype from Asmus was great but not the production version imo. They just messed up the eyes too much that the likeness is lost.

This is comparing prototype to production of course but yeah not a fan of Asmus final output. INARTs sculpt is off but I think it's minor things that are holding it back from really nailing it. I hope they take all the criticism they're getting for it and adjust it because it's almost there.

They definitely need to brighten up the eyes to be more blue.

Vzk4LUf.png
kpuZV3Q.png

sQsfGw8.png

Last edited:
Back