InArt Phoenix Joker 1/6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a feeling either he, the director or someone at WB want to keep the atmosphere surrounding the Joker as this “artsy movie” that won an Oscar for best actor, and action figures will somehow take away from the “importance” of the film. “A 12” doll for $350?? No, this movie is far too important to be sullied by this doll. BUT that statue that costs $2500? NOW THATS ART. REFLECTIVE OF HOW THIS MOVIE IS IN ALL OF OUR HEARTS”

Are the people who made these decisions far up their own ***es and love the smell of their own farts? ABSOLUTELY.

And we’ll all be there day one to slap that PO button like it owed us money because we want to be just like those egotistical fart smellers 😇

…what? I can’t be the only one that feels that way right?

I think this figure will truly be the one that’ll FURTHER separate themselves from HT. Because Joaquin’s Joker truly was sought after. And due to the mandate of “no toys. Just premium collectibles with a price tag of 1k and above”…I don’t think even HT wanted that smoke. I could be wrong. For all we know they’re probably cooking up something right now. But seeing as how they haven’t released anything like IA’s Joker with its price tag…it’s safe to assume they passed on the idea of selling a 12” figure for 1K.

If IA were able to convince WB/DC and are ready to show us their proto…yo, it’s gonna blow minds.

I’m ecstatic right now.
Mandated by Todd Phillips. The guy that made Old School and The Hangover, then Joker.

That's like going from Dumb and Dumber to Taxi Driver.

19A1608C-A56C-4F5C-98E4-3E3B5868103D.gif

Mandated by Todd Phillips. The guy that made Old School and The Hangover, then Joker.

Wait Todd made Old School???

As in Frank The Tank Old school????

You’re my boy blue!! - Old School??

Holy crap. I never knew that!! 🤣🤣

I can tell you right now for a fact that it was a WB decision and not Phoenix or Todd. The director and actor did not have that much sway previous to the movie coming out. The creatives would have to get that worked into the contract beforehand, and this was not expected to be the massive hit that it was. After the success of the movie Phoenix and Todd have power to negotiate things for the sequel but thats a different story. Todd barely had enough good will to even get a production (which was modest) budget to make this movie nevermind making wild demands about toy manufacturing. This was not a case of anyone smelling their own farts but instead a marketing decision by WB to help lean into the overal vibe of the movie. They were pushing for a prestige piece of content and having Walmart flooded with toys would take away from that marketing decision.

Last edited:
I can tell you right now for a fact that it was a WB decision and not Phoenix or Todd. The director and actor did not have that much sway precious to the movie coming out. The creatives would have to get that worked into the contract beforehand, and this was not expected to be the massive hit that it was. After the success of the movie Phoenix and Todd have power to negotiate things for the sequel but thats a different story. Todd barely had enough good will to even get a production budget to make this movie nevermind making wild demands about toy manufacturing.

Correct.

People are forgetting the 'controversy' around this film. We had notices put out working in cinemas to be vigilante for people going into this screening with bags or looking odd (and this is for the UK), in America either the FBI or a body similar were advising of the danger attributed to the film; all over incels (this discussion is a whole other thing, I won't get into how utterly stupid that all was and still is), but seeing as there were many warnings in different countries about the dangers of this film somehow inspiring people to shoot up cinema screens like the Dark Knight Rises etc. or worrying about how he may be a role model, it is needless to say that Warner Brothers themselves are most likely the ones who stipulated such restrictions - which makes sense in regards to all of this.

Just like Warner Brothers restricting imagery of weapons etc. and how they're sold with toys, I imagine WB's workaround to at least receiving some form of extra money from the licensing from this film was to place a restriction of what type of products are allowed to depict the character, and placing them at a much higher range, I guess in their minds, would reduce any potential impact that may have comeabout if someone were to be 'inspired' by the character.

I’m pretty sure the mandate is real, considering that no other licensed figures exist, and all we have are statues that pass the $1,000 mark - not even any smaller things like funko pops. Warner Bros has been really weird with DC licensing lately (not allowing any sort of realistic depictions of firearms included with any figures), so I believe it.

I remember one of the artists at Hot Toys posted concept art for a Cosbaby Joaquin Joker on Instagram a while ago, but nothing came from it. I assume that was due to whatever mandate they have in place.
Goes even beyond that. I remember they even shared the Joker trailer on all of their social media back when it first came out with a caption attached to it. Usually an indication that they have the license and to expect things from them soon. Months and months go by and we never get anything from them for it. Now we know it's likely due to the mandate and Hot Toys not wanting to release a $1300+ figure set for this movie without knowing how to justify it.

This is right up INARTs alley since they can do a double/triple pack, similar to Ledgers Joker, to meet the mandate while also throwing in everything possible for the price.

474493-Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Todd fought with WB for a year to get this film made. He recalls receiving emails stating - “Doesn’t he know we sell Joker pajamas in Target” WB wanted to market the film and sell toys, Todds vision simply didn’t allow that to happen given the films violent nature. He had this discussion with Martin Scorsese on a Roundtable episode. So yes it’s due to Todd Phillips’ vision. The price point bottom line is a reflection of that, high priced statues & collectibles aren’t marketed or affordable to kids.

Goes even beyond that. I remember they even shared the Joker trailer on all of their social media back when it first came out with a caption attached to it. Usually an indication that they have the license and to expect things from them soon. Months and months go by and we never get anything from them for it. Now we know it's likely due to the mandate and Hot Toys not wanting to release a $1300+ figure set for this movie without knowing how to justify it.

This is right up INARTs alley since they can do a double/triple pack, similar to Ledgers Joker, to meet the mandate while also throwing in everything possible for the price.

474493-Untitled-1.jpg
Wow, I wonder if Hot Toys paid to acquire the license only to be sideswiped by that mandate. :lol

Todd fought with WB for a year to get this film made. He recalls receiving emails stating - “Doesn’t he know we sell Joker pajamas in Target” WB wanted to market the film and sell toys, Todds vision simply didn’t allow that to happen given the films violent nature. He had this discussion with Martin Scorsese on a Roundtable episode. So yes it’s due to Todd Phillips’ vision. The price point bottom line is a reflection of that, high priced statues & collectibles aren’t marketed or affordable to kids.
Todd did not mandate that toys were not sold. WB made that decision. Period. He did not have the power to mandate how studios could or could not make money on the thing they were financing. He could make a suggestion but WB made the call.

Todd did not mandate that toys were not sold. WB made that decision. Period. He did not have the power to mandate how studios could or could not make money on the thing they were financing. He could make a suggestion but WB made the call.
You’re missing my point. He stuck to his vision which made toys marketed for kids impossible. Yes Warner made the decision financially, but they still wanted to market a new “comic book Batman film” to kids. This is why they weren’t happy with his vision and is why he received multiple emails about it. They didn’t make him change the film, but they definitely wanted him to.

Yep, as well as Road Trip and all 3 Hangover movies.

Makes Joker, suddenly he thinks he's 70s Scorsese.

I definitely see the humor in this post because it’s funny AF.

But in all fairness, I think a lot of these directors have that “avant-garde” side to them.

Before Peter Jackson made the LoTR trilogy, I wasn’t familiar with him and his movies. Didn’t he make heavenly creatures and some other horror flick?

Not gonna lie, I was iffy on the trilogies quality. Then when FOTR came out, I was blown away. it was better than it had any right to 😅

Then of course he took the trilogies film language and applied it to King Kong and that resulted (IMO) in an overstuffed, pretentious film that left me feeling disappointed. I was like…”did this need to be THREE HOURS LONG??”

Regardless…imagine if we still had trailer voice guy in the “Joker”’ trailer??

“From the visionary director of Road Trip, Old School and the EPIC Hangover Trilogy comes the next film that will change the way we watch movies FOREVER”

I don’t know about you, but they got my ticket!!

Both you and Nick make valid arguments and points.

I can see how the talent involved can influence decisions regarding the merch side.

Tom Cruise, for example, FORBIDS any toys on anything he’s involved in and will not allow his likeness to be used in any capacity. I think there was a Mission Impossible game based off the 1st or 2nd movie (?) that came out for either Xbox or PS2…and the Ethan Hunt in the game looked nothing like Tom.

I don’t think Tom had the pull in the industry like he does now…but yeah, sometimes the talent can find ways to squeeze into the contract on what’s allowed to not allowed when it comes to merch.

I think Nolan may have done something similar as well. For toy sales, you’d think he would’ve been encouraged or forced to give Baleman a whole new suit…but he stuck with TDK suit and never looked back.

Meanwhile EVERY MCU movie had a new look for every character.

474493-Untitled-1.jpg

I wouldn’t put it passed IA for using ledger jokers deluxe set as a way to test the waters for their inevitable Joaquin Joker.

As I mentioned before, people have desired a 1/6 J.Joker for a long time now.

Movie Jokers SELL right?

If a 1K L.Joker set sold well, I can’t imagine J.Joker doing any different.

Back