Ikea Granas Coffee Table become awesome Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what you start up with
granas.jpg

This model of coffee table is unfortunately already discontinued in Canada. They still have the dining table which is similar and could be modified for an even bigger display case... (I picked up the table from the as is section for cheap already :D but usually its $300 incl 4 chairs) Well keep an eye for used as I found them being offered on craigslist quite often though many of them the glass top tend to be scratched up :(
So Figurefreak started lowering the magazine shelf which is as simple as cutting 4 measured cutouts into the legs with a dremel or similar tool
Added some kind of metal sheet on top of the shelf and closed up the sides with acrylic panels and finished if with a set of Ikea Dioder LED strip lights and VOILA... what a beauty!
displayn.jpg

I started mine but have yet to finish my MDF cover and acrylic sides. I am using HomeDepot insulation foam tape to close up most of the gaps to make it dustproof
mf6m.jpg

Credit to FigureFreaks

More Granas owners:
DarthMagnus Star Wars Granas https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3702868&postcount=52

Amazing work!!
What a great idea!

Now it's my turn to do it, but not easy for people like me , cause I never know how to do works like that.

Hi jye318

Got your PM but figure I post my reply right here.
Maybe Figurefreaks and DarthMagnus could detail how they have finished off the side panels? My plans were in post#44 but I have yet to find time to actually do it myself :p
As for help to manipulate the material I am not sure where you are located but here in Canada HomeDepot cut wood and in our case MDF to your dimensions. They also carry acrylic in the door section and might do the same though not sure their blade would just rip it apart! Thinner panels you just use a cutting tool (which they also sell) to score the acrylic and then you can just break excess off over table edge
BTW welcome to the Granas group :lol

I have seem all the coffee table display, it was so cool, so I just got one from local, and finally cut the legs to make hole, but I am wanderin how did you apply the side glass( or is not glass) ? I have no experience to do any work like this, even my friend cut the legs for me, so please teach me how to do the side and I am happy with it, thanks for all the help guys!

Has anyone ever found a suitable replacement for the Granas? I have been watching Craigs for a couple weeks and there's nothing within 500 miles of me.

There is one for sale within 2 miles of my home, :yess:

It will be mine oh yes it will :clap:lol

don't get too excited... took a few tries for me to find one that was acceptable in terms of scratches on the glass. Just bring windex and towel and don't get it if too many scratches as it won't look good w lighting and you can't polish the scratches out.

Last edited:
yeah you got it new, right? ppl just don't take care of their stuff
I must have tried 4-5 times before I found one that had almost no major scratching in the middle of the glass... still had scratches but hairline mostly and 2 big ones but off centre so I took it... I remember the first one I went looking at was so bad and I still had to resist hard to convince myself to be patient cause I really wanted our setup ;)
oh one had loose legs and turns out the threaded bolt inside the leg cracked loose so you can't fix that easily either :p

:yess:Got a really nice one nice and clean Craig's list $30.00 WOOO HOOO get the Tumbler + Batpod out of the boxes.

Thanks this is great idea Figurefreaks I remember when you first posted it, it still has that WOW factor and Geil for spearheading this thread great teamwork guys, pics to come as soon as find out how from my iPad.:clap

Will do :hi5:

Thankfully with the Tumbler not being released until August I've got time to source bits and pieces overtime rather than having to do it in one big rush :yess:

Back