Ikea Granas Coffee Table become awesome Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: what are the dimensions of both the dining table and coffee table? I fell in love with the batman display and i want to do the same to display in my living room. I found a really good price on a dining table but not sure if it will fit the tumbler and batpod. Any tips or advice would really help! Thanks!

coffee table is l47" x w31" x h20" (based on a quick google search, result is from a persona ad so might not be 100% accurate)
dining table is length 57 1/2", width 30 3/4", height 29 1/2"
https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/40134347
Mind you the dining table shelf is mounted by screws so the mod will have to improvised differently than the coffee table which I have not attempted but I am sure it's just a matter of drilling a few holes instead.
The dining table is about the same footprint but is significantly higher so you really can't use is as a coffee table unless you start hacking away at the legs. I was going to use that one for the Star Wars setup eventually when I have the spave where I could benefit from the extra height to display more X-Wings but it would certainly stay along the wall as a dedicated display.

So i finally got a granas coffee table and now i'm ready to turn it into a display but would like some feedback on the best approach. I really like figurefreaks custom and would like to do something very similar. I understand that i have to drop the bottom shelf but how do i go about sealing it and making it dust free?

Finally another member to follow! Can't believe this idea does not get picked up more often!
Dropping the shelf is a matter of cutting new cutouts in each leg and to make sure it is exactly the same height. I used a dremel with cutting disc to do it.
As for how to seal the case I have yet to do it so Figurefreak is the only one who actually executed it.
My theoretical approach:
Base:
- cut 1/2" MDF panel the size of the glass top
. cut out squares in the four corners to clear the legs
- route 1/8" wide groves close to the edge of each side 1/4" deep
- finish it with a few coats of black.
Side panels:
- cut 1/8" acrylic panels to fit the open sides (could use more $$ thicker panels for a more solid look, increase width of groove accordingly)
- exact width but taller by 3/4" so it can lean on the inside of the top edge of the frame
- slide it in the groove of the base
- insulation foam tape along the inside edge of the top frame for the acrylic panel to lean against and create a seal
- also use insulation foam to seal the gap between the frame top and the glass top
- apply insulation foam tape along the inside of each leg to flush against the acrylic panel to seal the sides and hold the panels in place
- not very strong structure and with my kid starting to walk I am going to have to figure out a way lock down the panels....

Hello there! :wave

That’s a very nice description Geil. :goodpost:

I still need to use some kind of insulation foam tape to make mine a little more dust free. Not much dust coming inn as is, but like to use some where the acryl rest on the shelf. I feel that will do it. Other than that it has survive small kids and pets… My cat tried to jump trough it …but he have learn. :rotfl

Glad to see that someone pick up this idea, I think it’s a great way to display something like this. Good luck to you Danielito. :yess:

…but what to do if HT release a 89 Batmobile?!.. :panic:

:hi5:

I still need to use some kind of insulation foam tape to make mine a little more dust free. Not much dust coming inn as is, but like to use some where the acryl rest on the shelf. I feel that will do it. Other than that it has survive small kids and pets… My cat tried to jump trough it …but he have learn. :rotfl

Glad to see that someone pick up this idea, I think it’s a great way to display something like this. Good luck to you Danielito. :yess:

:rotfl that is so hilarious :rotfl
yeah with the Millenium Falcon being so huge and possibility of the'89 Batmobil I am going back to my original setup of the TV being flanked by the vehicles. In the past I only had the Tumbler and Batmobil so it wasn't well balanced as a display but this will change with '89 :D Besides I miss the fact that I can stare at the Tumbler when I am watching TV

O-oh...try to find one of these babies now:gah:

better start now! With HT 89 bat mobile being a sure thing (Oh god it is so big!) this solution should see a lot more adaptation ;) I am sure HT will improve it some more and then it will be bat heaven for me and not so much for my wife :lol

Hey Geil and friends! The time has finally come for the unveiling of my project! Much love and respect to Geil for opening my eyes to this awesome way of displaying large collectibles. Worked perfect in my case! Without further ado I present Jabba's Throne Room! Still under construction (pending SS+Hot Toys releases :lol)! Video Review below the pics!

046.jpg

048.jpg

054.jpg

053.jpg

037.jpg

055.jpg

A pic with my Daughter for scale! :)
042.jpg

[ame="https://youtu.be/FYZkywCe_gE"]302 Found[/ame]

Hey Geil and friends! The time has finally come for the unveiling of my project! Much love and respect to Geil for opening my eyes to this awesome way of displaying large collectibles. Worked perfect in my case! Without further ado I present Jabba's Throne Room! Still under construction (pending SS+Hot Toys releases :lol)! Video Review below the pics!

046.jpg

Looks awesome! :google

That's why I love this place! Ideas shared. Collections enhanced! :rock2

Again, really nice display, I can't find the coffee table , find a lot of dining table tho. And very cheap.

Back