I saw Spider-Man 3 today

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
watched it last night, probably the cheeziest spiderman of the 3 and the most disappointing ending. Half of film is pretty much a chick flick, might as well make this into a day time TV soap when they run out of villains to ruin.

You can summarize this film with 2 comments:

1)Great special effects

2) Man tears = Peter cried at least on 4 separate occasions
Brock cried once
sandman cried once
hobgoblin cried once
Ben cried once

jml969 said:
You can summarize this film with 2 comments:

1)Great special effects

2) Man tears = Peter cried at least on 4 separate occasions
Brock cried once
sandman cried once
hobgoblin cried once
Ben cried once

So either real men can cry, or the movie was just filled with a bunch of little girls......

I think the main problem is with Venom. I'm sure they just wanted to please the fanboys by putting him in, but his story shouldn't have been wrapped up entirely in SM3. The movie should've ended in the bell tower with Parker ditching the suit & it dripping onto Brock. Then they could've ended it with Venom coming to life and swinging off into the night. I'm sure they probably wouldn't want to end the movie on a cliffhanger, but it could have set SM4 up to be the best of the series for sure. I know I would've loved to see Venom vs Spidey in the middle of the city at night. They could've made it a huge epic battle.

I liked Topher Grace as Eddie Brock though, I always thought he'd make a good Peter Parker. I like the way they made him such a Parker-wannabe type character in SM3.

die said:
I liked Topher Grace as Eddie Brock though, I always thought he'd make a good Peter Parker. I like the way they made him such a Parker-wannabe type character in SM3.

He is the perfect antithesis/foil, which works great for the films; just as long as you are not a stickler for the comics.

Venom wasn't really put in because of the fanboys' demand...though I don't doubt that had some input.

Raimi was already set with Sandman as one villain and wanted the villains to have a "personal" connection to Parker/Spider-man....Sandman's connection was being the true killer of Uncle Ben.

Raimi and his writers couldn't really tag down a suitable personal connection for the original third villain: Vulture. They went ahead with designs while the script was being tweaked.

Meanwhile, one of the screenwriters threw out Venom's name and he fit in as a better villain with a personal connection to Parker/Spidey...so they pulled the plug on Vulture and put in Venom.

Polystoner said:
Yeah, I noticed that too. That one was wierd. He cries right after he gets shot and before he hits the ground. WTH? :confused:
Well wouldn't you if you knew you were going to die and never see your wife and nephew(Or son, as Ben considered Peter) again?

Men have feelings too, regardless. That 'Men don't cry' crap is pure BS.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've given it some thought and I think that if Spielberg had directed Ghostbusters 2, it would have felt a lot like Spider-Man 3.

It's seemed like the writers (fresh from writing video games for the last five years) watched the Mask and Fantastic Four over and over again and asked themselves, "How can we make a Spider-Man film that was more like that?" Spider-Man 3 is closer in tone and quality to those films than it is to Spider-Man 1 or 2.

I don't get the need for all the villains to have a personal connection to Parker. Having Sandman as Uncle Ben's killer played out fine, to me at least, but when I first saw the trailer where they said they found Uncle Ben's real killer I was annoyed. I've never been a big fan of "He did it! No, wait, actually it was him!" Sometimes its okay, it seems some movies, tv shows, and books do this a little too often and it annoys me. Plus if they didn't waste time making Sandman Uncle Ben's real killer maybe they could have put in some more about his relationship with his daughter and her illness or something. Failing that more black suit spidey.

It all tied in nicely though for the trilogy.Now all of that **** is out of the way,for 456 i hope they don't concentrate on peters love life AS MUCH and things can really let loose now.(i'd love for peter to explore his powers more)

So I saw this again today and after the second time, knowing the dancing is coming, I liked it much more. I guess it wasn't as much of a shock, I don't know.

I have to say I was a bit harsh on SM3 before but now I actually enjoyed watching the whole film, dancing and all. It's strange how that works. The Fifth Element was the same way for me. First time I didn't like it. The second time I loved it and I've watched it several times after that.

I think it because sometimes the first time you see something you have high expectations and you keep waiting for things to happen that you hoped would happen. They don't and so you feel disappointed. When you see it the second time you know how it will all play out so you enjoy it for it is. Dunno if that makes any sense to anyone else, but its the way I felt when seeing it the first and second time and I've felt the same with others too. Can't think what at the moment though.

Saw it last nite! Enjoyed it a lot!! Only misgivings:
  • Too much weeping.
  • Sandman AKA Cave Troll :lol
  • Too much whiz-bang chasing.
Otherwise, was Jolly Enjoyable

TC

Finally saw Spidey 3 on Sunday.

LOVED IT. My favorite Spider-Man film and probably my favorite superhero movie of all time. The "Empire Strikes Back" of comic book movies. So many great things about it I can't imagine how much time it would take to type them out.

I saw Spidey 3 in IMAX today and it sounded great and looked OK. It was my first true IMAX experiance and I was underwhelmed. I first saw SPECIAL EFFECTS by Ben Burtt in LIBERTY SCIENCE CENTER here in Jersey, back in the 90's.

Now about the movie, it looked as if Sam had all these ideas and threw as much into it as posible. It needed to concentrate better on the Sandman's storyline. Topher was great but his character needed more set-up and lead into the next movie. Venom should have only appeared at the very end and the story should have been a cliffhanger. Harry should have been the Hobgoblin in full costume rather than X-treme sports Harry.

When I saw the newspaper on the wall behind JJJ saying "Dr. Octopus on the lose", I was hoping he was showing up and doing away with these poorly fleshed out villians. Spidey 3 was fun but definitly the weakest of the three.

I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would, given all the mixed reviews I'd read before seeing it.

There are parts that made cringe (the reporter and the newcaster are two of them), but I found myself wanting to see it a second time, and I liked it even more after that viewing.

The Spider-Man movies have been made into a solid trilogy, IMO.

Enjoyed the movie nonetheless. But what's on Peter's head with the moves and dance?!

The thing that kept annoying me was the fact that peter kept taking his mask off. He spent more time maskless in the suit than he did with it on. What happened to the ending? Why no last swing? In the book it ended with both Spidey and Mary Jane swinging through the city. That would of been a cool way to end it. I tell ya' Sony was ready for this one to be the last.

chewblacca said:
The thing that kept annoying me was the fact that peter kept taking his mask off. He spent more time maskless in the suit than he did with it on. What happened to the ending? Why no last swing? In the book it ended with both Spidey and Mary Jane swinging through the city. That would of been a cool way to end it. I tell ya' Sony was ready for this one to be the last.
Yes indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back