1/6 Hot Toys - TMS015 - The Mandalorian: Din Djarin + The Child set ( DELUXE VERSION)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, this might not be the best place to ask this but here it goes:
I am struggling with whether to buy this figure or not and would like people's 2 cents.

I have (shamefully) never been a huge Star Wars fan - I just never grew up on it, but I always thought the characters looked really cool, especially the villains like Vader, Dooku, Tarkin and the Emperor.
However I have just binged The Mandalorian and I love it - its just a really great show and I'm enjoying every second, so much so I am considering going back and seeing if I appreciate the other movies on a second viewing. (I have to confess I wasn't a fan of the new Disney trilogy when I watched it with some friends - the story seemed all over the place).
So consequently, this figure was already kind of tempting me, and when I saw just how chock full of accessories and goodies the deluxe version comes with this figure is now really tempting me on a character and collector level.

However, space is getting super limited in my collection, I have a tonne of pre-orders already, my funds are on the verge of becoming stretched and I'm worried about this being a "rabbit-hole" figure that has me collecting a whole new line as I have no other Star Wars figures in the collection.

What do we think? I would ask the people in my life but they oscillate wildly between "I have no idea why you have this hobby" to "DO IT. SPEND ALL THE MONEY", so I though I'd ask people who'd be a little more balanced in their judgement. :rotfl

Since they're probably gonna make a lot of these, first thing I'd do is wait a week. Or two.

Second thing I'd do - money aside - is picture your collection a year from now. Do u like the show enough to want this to represent, even if down the road they release Mando v.x with a head sculpt and black armor, or something. Also ask self what if this show goes a direction I don't like?

If yes, sure, if I could have only one I'd pick this one. Re the character arc the beskar has made its first full appearance; any variants down the road wiil likely be variants on this one; and it's fully loaded. Do u really need a head sculpt for this character.

Also like Boba Fett or Darth Vader, u don't NEED to invest in companion pieces. Everyone knows who this is. No point in straining yourself re $$$ or the shelves, 'coz then it's not fun, it's stress. Also possibly rethink and maybe dump a PO or two first.

I didn't have any other SW in the collection either except Rey and Kylo, until Mando: and been rediscovering SW. And after the MCU didn't want to start another line. But, am limiting myself to key pieces. There's stuff I'd like, sure, like the Incinerator Trooper. But re the budget can't justify, really. I don't sell my stuff so hafta think hard about the long term.

So a year from now you think you'll be happy you have this in your collection, yeah, this is a good release IMO. If u can purchase without a lot of stress re the wallet or space. And then stop at this one.

The funny thing is, had they made us wait a bit more for Beskar Mando, I might well have kept my order. But a lot is happening here and in fairly short order: I bought Mythos Fett and then after a lot of deciding, I bought Vintage Fett too [no regrets!]. Then I bought version 1.0 Mando, its all good. Evidently SSC is about to ship Cody [ABOUT TIME]. I am about to pay off Deluxe Fett - and now all the sudden on top of all this $$$ they are gonna drop Beskar Mando.

It was just all too much, with the first Mando being so new. I am going to wait, his armor isn't done evolving yet and I am holding out for a headsculpt. I may try to acquire some of Beskar Mando's accessories on FeeBay, or maybe people will sell one of his two green children. We'll see.

So, currently on the PO list is.... Jango Fett. Still thinking about Deathwatch Mando, still waiting to see what if anything else will drop from Season 2. I still kinda want Beskar Mando. We will see.

Season 2 version Din Djarin is just inevitable, with that newly acquired Beskar spear, better trust me when it comes to these "speculations" :lecture

I'm getting both mandos and i'll wait until season 3 or 4 and pick up the inevitable battle damaged version with broken spear and bloody headscuplt

Justin's video really is a clear and good look. I like what I see. The child looks exceptional too. The finish is much better on the beskar, and I REALLY love that flame attachment.

Justin's video really is a clear and good look. I like what I see. The child looks exceptional too. The finish is much better on the beskar, and I REALLY love that flame attachment.

Same for me. A few reviews and pictures had me a bit worried, but Justin?s video put my mind well at ease. I am excited to get him.

Jedha Patrol also has a good video up of it. So glad it didn?t turn out like some of the blogger final product pics came out.

Hallmark Child holds up pretty well.

CwEpdjP.png

This place is full of enablers, so I say do it.

This is like asking the owner of your favorite bar to be your AA sponsor...

Id say go for it. You only live once.

You are all such enablers! :rotfl
But then, I suspect a small part of me wanted to be enabled......
- Screw it, I decided to pre-order on Sideshow! :yess:

Favreau & Filoni: Our job is done *wringing there hands menacingly*

SSFreaks: Just get it. It?s only 1 Star Wars figure :devil

*shakes fist at the heavens* Damn you Favreau!!!
and you are completely correct in that there are too many bad influences on this forum (I usually count myself among them) - but you know what they say, you can only tempt the willing.

If you really love this show, there's no better reason.

As for rabbit-holes, I don't go there, since I'm not even close to a completionist. You could represent the entire show with just Din and his little green friend.

If you feel compelled to get more, I'd make some tough decisions and jettison figures you love less.

Well said mate, and to be honest this is what really sold it for me - you can represent the entire show with just this deluxe figure pack and not worry about the rabbit-hole, and if other figure and characters appeal to me down the line, then I will just have to have a close look at the situation. I am not one to Jettison a figure (with maybe the sole exception of my Batfleck - the one impulse purchase I have regretted over the years) but I may rotate them so some are in storage and others on display and hopefully my financial situation will be better, considering I'm just a poor PhD candidate at the moment!

Don't buy it, and if you wind up regretting it, I'll sell you mine for a reasonable price above retail when I get the season 3 version.

:lol I don't doubt it mate! Maybe next time!

Since they're probably gonna make a lot of these, first thing I'd do is wait a week. Or two.

Second thing I'd do - money aside - is picture your collection a year from now. Do u like the show enough to want this to represent, even if down the road they release Mando v.x with a head sculpt and black armor, or something. Also ask self what if this show goes a direction I don't like?

If yes, sure, if I could have only one I'd pick this one. Re the character arc the beskar has made its first full appearance; any variants down the road wiil likely be variants on this one; and it's fully loaded. Do u really need a head sculpt for this character.

Also like Boba Fett or Darth Vader, u don't NEED to invest in companion pieces. Everyone knows who this is. No point in straining yourself re $$$ or the shelves, 'coz then it's not fun, it's stress. Also possibly rethink and maybe dump a PO or two first.

I didn't have any other SW in the collection either except Rey and Kylo, until Mando: and been rediscovering SW. And after the MCU didn't want to start another line. But, am limiting myself to key pieces. There's stuff I'd like, sure, like the Incinerator Trooper. But re the budget can't justify, really. I don't sell my stuff so hafta think hard about the long term.

So a year from now you think you'll be happy you have this in your collection, yeah, this is a good release IMO. If u can purchase without a lot of stress re the wallet or space. And then stop at this one.

This is really great and sensible advice mate. I was a little apprehensive about potential out of stock notices given this seems to be a popular figure/series and it's now in stock instead of pre-order (and I suffer greatly from FOMO), so I have ordered it on Sideshow. But the figure is on a payment plan and all I would sacrifice is the NRD if I change my mind.
That is an excellent point about the show taking a bad turn, the only comparison I can make in my collection is my Threezero Game of Thrones figures - yes the show's ending was terrible, but the characters I chose are from when the show was great and the characters I have chosen I love (or really hate in the case of Joffrey) so I find that I still love those figures despite the shows massive drop in quality (and the Mandalorian would have to take one hell of a nose-dive to match GOT's epic fall from grace).
Your point about the Beskar, headsculpt and other figure being in a sense "variants" of this one, really resonated with me and helped me settle on choosing this particular Mandalorian figure - it is a fully loaded figure, an iconic character and look that doesn't really need an introduction and pretty much captures the show without the need of companion pieces.
I'm like you in that I don't really sell my pieces, so long term planning (and a little bit of agonising) is necessary, Star Wars stuff always looks so good as an objective collector, but I never bite because it was never my thing - but this is the first time I really liked the media and the character, so I caved. If this ignites a Star Wars passion in me, then I will, like yourself, limit myself to key pieces - but then again, it might not and I might not get anything else in the line and that's okay, this figure speaks for itself.
No stress, just keep it fun - good advice.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help - it really is appreciated, and I too one day hope to enable you all in your collecting addictions! :wave

This is really great and sensible advice mate. I was a little apprehensive about potential out of stock notices given this seems to be a popular figure/series and it's now in stock instead of pre-order (and I suffer greatly from FOMO), so I have ordered it on Sideshow. But the figure is on a payment plan and all I would sacrifice is the NRD if I change my mind.
That is an excellent point about the show taking a bad turn, the only comparison I can make in my collection is my Threezero Game of Thrones figures - yes the show's ending was terrible, but the characters I chose are from when the show was great and the characters I have chosen I love (or really hate in the case of Joffrey) so I find that I still love those figures despite the shows massive drop in quality (and the Mandalorian would have to take one hell of a nose-dive to match GOT's epic fall from grace).
Your point about the Beskar, headsculpt and other figure being in a sense "variants" of this one, really resonated with me and helped me settle on choosing this particular Mandalorian figure - it is a fully loaded figure, an iconic character and look that doesn't really need an introduction and pretty much captures the show without the need of companion pieces.
I'm like you in that I don't really sell my pieces, so long term planning (and a little bit of agonising) is necessary, Star Wars stuff always looks so good as an objective collector, but I never bite because it was never my thing - but this is the first time I really liked the media and the character, so I caved. If this ignites a Star Wars passion in me, then I will, like yourself, limit myself to key pieces - but then again, it might not and I might not get anything else in the line and that's okay, this figure speaks for itself.
No stress, just keep it fun - good advice.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help - it really is appreciated, and I too one day hope to enable you all in your collecting addictions! :wave

LOL I certainly would curse Favreau:lol except when I think of Mandalorian all the music, complete coolness of the characters, and visuals come into my head.

Yeah, I hope everyone's comments helped. Like the Ironman-multiple-armors comparison has already come up with Mando, and I have about every version of Cap. But that's a personal choice, as some would think my shelves are boring.

Another way to collect would be to try to get the best represent of a lot of characters (which may need shuffling/selling).

The GOT thing of a show going South is a great comparison!:clap
I ended up with Rey and Kylo 'coz while I didn't collect SW (and at the time was happy 'coz so much is out there$$$$) when TFA was released, like with Mando, I liked the whole gritty lonely desert motif. Later Kylo looked cool and menacing and Sidewhow had a coupon, so why not.

Fast forward and while I don't hate the ST - there wasn't an arc or a look or that connection where I HAD to have more figs - Luke looked cool, but did I really think that was the best representation of the character; Finn's sculpt altered in production, and so on. Not enough there to pay another 250-300$. I think u gotta luv ur figs otherwise they are just taking space up.

I'm more in with Mando. But if I had to choose 1 Mando right now, it'd be the Beskar. If nothing else he spends a lot of time in the Beskar, AND this is a fully loaded, iconic look. I figure no matter what they do with the character later, Beskar Mando with Baby is the main visual and the one that represents. I own V1 and sure it's outstanding. But no knife and u gotta pick up Baby somewhere separately.:slap

Congrats on the PO:) as while for Cap I've bitten the bullet to get a new, older fig I missed (Ultron Cap) can't say it makes me HAPPY to pay upmarket reseller prices.:cool: For me it's been fun retroactively re-discovering and re-appreciating SW; think the only things retroactively I miss getting are some older Sideshow figs (Tuscan Raiders).

The funny thing is, had they made us wait a bit more for Beskar Mando, I might well have kept my order. But a lot is happening here and in fairly short order: I bought Mythos Fett and then after a lot of deciding, I bought Vintage Fett too [no regrets!]. Then I bought version 1.0 Mando, its all good. Evidently SSC is about to ship Cody [ABOUT TIME]. I am about to pay off Deluxe Fett - and now all the sudden on top of all this $$$ they are gonna drop Beskar Mando.

It was just all too much, with the first Mando being so new. I am going to wait, his armor isn't done evolving yet and I am holding out for a headsculpt. I may try to acquire some of Beskar Mando's accessories on FeeBay, or maybe people will sell one of his two green children. We'll see.

So, currently on the PO list is.... Jango Fett. Still thinking about Deathwatch Mando, still waiting to see what if anything else will drop from Season 2. I still kinda want Beskar Mando. We will see.

Yep, reminds me of around MCU Civil War, when amazing fig after amazing fig was rolled out $$$$. Good times:cool:, if u were as insane about Team Cap and TWS and CW as I was (and still am).

Even then tho kept it to Team Cap except for the IM #46 diecast. I already figure there'll be a Beskar diecast down the road. But that's the thing - it would be a variant IMO. An EXPENSIVE variant. Not sayin' I wouldn't go for it, but IMO it's times like that u ask urself how much do I luv this character. $$$$.:horror

Anyway dropping Beskar Mando early is an obvious, but sensible money grab riding on the show hype train. Fans may be happy about it, but still - it's the time of year (at least in my hemisphere) where stuff gets more expensive. Lots of bills. Lots of sales. I'm pushing POs out until next year where I can, because I can wait on stuff vs. having to come up with lots of cash right now$$$$.:horror

Okay, this might not be the best place to ask this but here it goes:
I am struggling with whether to buy this figure or not and would like people's 2 cents.

I have (shamefully) never been a huge Star Wars fan - I just never grew up on it, but I always thought the characters looked really cool, especially the villains like Vader, Dooku, Tarkin and the Emperor.
However I have just binged The Mandalorian and I love it - its just a really great show and I'm enjoying every second, so much so I am considering going back and seeing if I appreciate the other movies on a second viewing. (I have to confess I wasn't a fan of the new Disney trilogy when I watched it with some friends - the story seemed all over the place).
So consequently, this figure was already kind of tempting me, and when I saw just how chock full of accessories and goodies the deluxe version comes with this figure is now really tempting me on a character and collector level.

However, space is getting super limited in my collection, I have a tonne of pre-orders already, my funds are on the verge of becoming stretched and I'm worried about this being a "rabbit-hole" figure that has me collecting a whole new line as I have no other Star Wars figures in the collection.

What do we think? I would ask the people in my life but they oscillate wildly between "I have no idea why you have this hobby" to "DO IT. SPEND ALL THE MONEY", so I though I'd ask people who'd be a little more balanced in their judgement. :rotfl

No, lordnastrond, run away! Far away! If you can still feel temptation's presence then leave this place. I wish I could go with you, but...

Is there a difference between the s1 and s2 beaker outfit? When watching the show I can?t tell the difference.

If anyone needs the child in hover pram and the DX accessories (whistling birds/holo etc) hit me up.

Should arrive in a few days and can get them out ASAP.

Thx.

Back