Hot Toys Superman (1978 film version)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being older now I sometimes look back at the old films and think man that was stupid. The part where sups throws the plastic wrap S symbol in part 2- "That was stupid". I still think the part where clark is still in smallville before he goes to Metropolis is one of my alltime favorite superhero movie parts of all time. Overall it is nice to own.

Superman II was a mess because Richard Donner was fired as director and replaced with Richard Lester.

The Salkinds wanted a Superman film that resembled the Batman series of the 60's. They were also upset at how much production was costing.

Donner was filming Superman 1 and 2 at the same time to save money, and the Salkinds were frustrated at the attention 2 was getting when 1 wasn't yet in theaters. They also liked the ending of Part 2 better. Ursa was to kill Lois and Superman turns back time to save her. The Salkinds forced Donner to graft this idea to the end of Part 1.

They had Lester "assist" Donner and after Superman I was finished they replaced him. Lester wanted a Director credit, which means 51% of the footage had to be his. He re-filmed many of Donner's scenes so he could take the credit away from Donner. Lester was a 'camp' guy, so his scenes have a more slapstick quality. (The Plastic S was Lester's fault BTW, The Magic Kiss, the Rollerskating guy, the topee guy, "They have a wide Selection" - "I don't like fish", and so on...)

The irony is Donner had about 80% of 2 filmed, so Lester's re-filming ultimately cost more.

Watch Superman II The Richard Donner cut and you'll see a much different film.

True. No one likes to be insulted... it's a terrible way to critique. it just urges retaliation and unwillingness.

Watch Superman II The Richard Donner cut and you'll see a much different film.

Yeah, i've yet to see it. I been wanting to but keep holding out, I think i'll do that this weekend. I still get all nostalgic when I watch the first costume change in part 1. "Man!! that's a bad outfit!! Woooo!"

Yeah, i've yet to see it. I been wanting to but keep holding out, I think i'll do that this weekend.

Watch it twice. The second time turn on the Director's commentary. :monkey1 It's funny listening to Donner, who tells great stories, and he bashes on Lester without ever uttering his name. Persona non grata.

Different, but not better. While a lot of the scenes flowed better, especially the "reveal," the ending of Donner's version was uninspiring.

Unfortanately the ending is spoiled. Superman was two movies with only one ending. Since that ending was used on 1, Donner and Puzo never had the chance to write a new ending for 2.

Donner restores the 'turn back time' bit, but since they never filmed Ursa killing Lois there's not the same motivation. I'm sure it would have had a much more powerful feel if all the pieces were there.

I'm amused by the continuity error that's created now. Superman undoes everything, then Clark beats up the Truck Driver who would have no F'ing idea why.

One thing for certain - Superman's last scene with Lois on her balcony is a more satisfying resolution than the magic kiss.

I'm amused by the continuity error that's created now. Superman undoes everything, then Clark beats up the Truck Driver who would have no F'ing idea why.

LOL, yeah, I did hear about this part. The dinner must have been isolated in an anti time disruption field and they did remember clark getting his butt kicked. Seems reasonable right?

So when is this Sculpt or figure reveal coming anyway. LOL

...i'm neither an apologist or hater, just a mild mannered collector.

We need more of those. Sadly some insist on labeling even the most genuine mild mannered collector an "apologist" or "hater" because of their cynical world view.

I do feel there is no better way to hold a company accountable for their product then doing it in a constructive and professional manner...

Again, the cynics can't comprehend this. Brute force and insults are the only language they understand, and believe that that is what moves people and the world.

I'm sure if someone told me my sculpts suck I wouldn't be, ok let me work on improving my quality. I'd tell them to go F themselves.

:exactly: In the same way that violence begets violence.

We need more of those. Sadly some insist on labeling even the most genuine mild mannered collector an "apologist" or "hater" because of their cynical world view.

Again, the cynics can't comprehend this. Brute force and insults are the only language they understand, and believe that that is what moves people and the world.

Because the condescension from a conceited, brown nosing patsy works so much better. :lol

Well I'm Satisfied that we received a response finally. I've waited 30 years for a Reeve Superman. I could wait a little longer.

Thank You Arnie

Very true.
I am greatful I can afford to get some of these, but just barely with careful monitoring of the bank balance. I know fellow Mild mannered collectors(geeks like me) that lost their jobs due to the economy and would love to be able to pick some up but can't. It just sucks that with the times getting harder that the retail prices are going up, and even more on the secondary market.

Because the condescension from a conceited, brown nosing patsy works so much better. :lol

There's that world view I was talking about! :clap

You think you have everybody pegged, but your just seeing everyone through a lens of irrational cynicism. It must suck to live in a world where everyone around you is either out to get someone, sucking up, or stupid.

There's that world view I was talking about! :clap

You think you have everybody pegged, but your just seeing everyone through a lens of irrational cynicism. It must suck to live in a world where everyone around you is either out to get someone, sucking up, or stupid.

I just prefer people to be real and honest. Unfortunately, that's a concept that's lost on most nowadays. :huh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back