Hot Toys Rogue One Shoretrooper MMS389

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone seen any NYCC pics of the Shoretrooper ? Maybe the Sergeant variant like they've shown for the Jedha Stormtrooper ?

I'm going to NYCC on Saturday. Is HT there? I thought they weren't doing NYCC. If they are, I'll go take a look at their booth.

Thats wierd. Sideshow being selective with their stuff I guess. That must be a love / hate kinda relationship between those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might help choose which one to buy

wu1s6yhneypx.jpg

Yeah, but offhand, it looks like they throw it back to OT era via harder, more industrial-feeling lines and angles.

PT design seems to me a combination of blended curves and that CG-model, "future-faceted, techno" look that has dated so badly.

I'm not 100% sure, but it feels like the lines used in the OT came from real-world technology which *at the time* didn't iterate as quickly, so was stuck in our collective consciousness in a way that modern industrial design isn't, necessarily.

For the moment, real-world things like phones and autos have their forms dictated by things like ergonomics and aerodynamics to create these platonic shapes that sort of fade into the background noise, with incremental changes going by in an accelerated blur that our splintered attention spans dispose of, much the way we do most modern media.

If you look at things being developed right now, like Project Soli by Google: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QNiZfSsPc0

...the forms become even more abstracted. One more reason to think something like the OT will never happen again. The new world isn't evenly distributed (to paraphrase William Gibson) but the old world ain't coming back.

Correct. The ot was based in a very practical utilitarian design aesthetic which implied a universe who now had lack of appreciation/ time for beauty. Plus it was easier to cannibalize background props etc. from existing machinery for a production on a budget. That said, it's easier to create props with straighter angles and easier curves since most of these items were created by hand and without computer controlled machinery...with the exception of proprietary machines like the dyxtraflex camera at the time. Remember this was the 70's. No computer printing machines or anything like that.

Ralph McQuarrie's designs were very much based on real world technology, and he had a simple vision with straight lines and simple curves. The triangle of a star destroyer, the sphere of the Death Star, the triangle of Vader's mouth, the X of the x-wing, the bowtie look of the TIE fighter, the cylinder of Artoo,-- with interior details mirroring the same, straight lines circles, and simple curves.

(All have simple and distinct silhouettes....the distinction is in its outline not its tangible shape....but it could be argued that the pt also has distinct silhouettes.)

I agree, however if technical designs were based on modern designs, it'd simply blend in, as a mishmash of been there done that designs. The only way to recapture the ot spirit is to draw from the same mindset that was in place when Star Wars was being created. Room for mechanism and mechanics. .... Space exploration was still new, more "analog" machinery dictated the designs over microtechnology which could be hidden in plain sight ( which ironically was added to the Star Wars canon in books after so many years of speculation about the technology ,and the science fiction part of Star Wars...

The pt heavily drew from art nouveau and Art Deco etc ...implications being that the aerodynamic and articulate details of a content society are from a prosperous and more peaceful time...before the dark times. Before the empire.

That said, I love the scarif stormtroopers colors, and the harkening back to the biker scout (that's the scout trooper for the millenials) but I love the design of the tank trooper helmet better...almost like a centurion helmet

Yeah, go Squad Leader !

They always look the coolest. A bit of colour, but not too much. Has the Kobe skirt (or whatever it's called) so theres more going on around those strange brown pants. However doesn't have the "man bag". Not sure if that's a good thing or not. A Man Bag can come in handy ??

Now HT just needs to announce their version. This is Hasbro.

This might help choose which one to buy

View attachment 297142

I think I prefer the Tanktrooper to the Shoretrooper...

View attachment 296714

Although similar designs from the same 'family', the Tanktrooper feels way more Star Wars-y.

The flared shape definitely feels OT.

Good point about the flared shape. I like them both, but I may opt for the tanktrooper since he has the more traditional black and white coloring.

I really like this trooper. It will add some nice color to the collection. I prefer the standard version over the Captain which I hope they announce it soon.

I just noticed that in the original pics from HT that the Captain has a sweet looking rifle, and the standard trooper doesn't. Decisions, decisions.

[McQuarrie] ... had a simple vision with straight lines and simple curves.

I'm familiar with all his work, of course, but I don't know too much about what his influences may have been. The geometry of mid-century modern, the flat shapes of Saul Bellow, the industrial geometry of Dieter Rams?

While generally more angular than much of the above work, I see some geometry and design elements in common. I know McQuarrie thought about the environment a given design would be used in; Vader's suit was partially conceived as something necessary for boarding a starship through the vacuum of space, if I recall?

The angularity, exposed structures and occasional asymmetry of the space craft are nods to exotic technology and the lack of any need for aerodynamics in vacuum; and for myself, I eventually came to see the "used universe aesthetic" as something distinctly post-war, salvaged and utilitarian, although as a child it reminded me of my father's garage and in that sense, was always grounded in realism.

[McQuarrie]That said, I love the scarif stormtroopers colors, and the harkening back to the biker scout (that's the scout trooper for the millenials) but I love the design of the tank trooper helmet better...almost like a centurion helmet

I like the Scarif troopers but I'm not sold on them yet. The tank troopers look great and I prefer them too; somewhere between centurions and grunts from any number of eras and cultures.

Last edited:
I'm familiar with all his work, of course, but I don't know too much about what his influences may have been. The geometry of mid-century modern, the flat shapes of Saul Bellow, the industrial geometry of Dieter Rams?

While generally more angular than much of the above work, I see some geometry and design elements in common. I know McQuarrie thought about the environment a given design would be used in; Vader's suit was partially conceived as something necessary for boarding a starship through the vacuum of space, if I recall?

The angularity, exposed structures and occasional asymmetry of the space craft are nods to exotic technology and the lack of any need for aerodynamics in vacuum; and for myself, I eventually came to see the "used universe aesthetic" as something distinctly post-war, salvaged and utilitarian, although as a child it reminded me of my father's garage and in that sense, was always grounded in realism.

I wish I could write like you speak.

I wish I could write like you speak.

That's funny, I'm not actually sure if I'm "speaking" or "writing" on this forum. A little of both?

I write in different voices: 'business', 'personal', 'casual', 'business casual' ... depending on audience and function. Haven't written fiction in a while but that's different again.

Don't know that I sound that different when I speak, other that swearing extravagantly when company allows. ;)

Back