1/6 Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

If you bought it new, after tax and shipping, it'd be what about $300? So a $100 (25%) increase isn't terrible and I bet it goes up more as the CW line expands. They might make a General Kenobi though.

But overall, if you REALLY want this version, and the retail price was ok to you, just skip a different figure and save up that extra $100 and jump. If you couldn't really afford it even at retail though, I get it, sometimes it be like that and I feel ya. But if you can find a way, now is the time.

:exactly:

Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

I can't see them not making a General Kenobi at some point. The Sideshow one (to my knowledge) was popular, and the CW hype should really give that a good push. I'll say though I'd wish they'd go with the non-cannonical armor, like the Walgreens BS figure had. I really have always liked that.

Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

I hope this gets a re-release. Had to miss out due to budget, but since they?ve reissued figures before its not impossible. Like the recent ESB Vader and Boba, IW Thor, IM Mark 43, and I think all the original ANH figures. Even the Mando Death Trooper. They could include him as part of the Clone Wars line. A CW General Kenobi would be nice as well.

I missed out on this guy but I’m not a fan of HT T re-releasing figures. These are limited collectibles and should be treated as such. Hoping for General Kenobi as well and an Anakin to pair with him.

Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

I can definitely see why it could be bad for those wanting to resell their figures, however the amount produced shouldn?t really matter in any other case. While these can turn out to be a good investment, its not exactly the main purpose of these figures. But I understand its nice to have an awesome collectible that?s rare too. Even if its not reissued, a General Kenobi and Skywalker would still make a great pair.

Crazy how these prequel figures just came and went. Should've kept my Dark Side Anakin.

I can definitely see why it could be bad for those wanting to resell their figures, however the amount produced shouldn?t really matter in any other case. While these can turn out to be a good investment, its not exactly the main purpose of these figures. But I understand its nice to have an awesome collectible that?s rare too. Even if its not reissued, a General Kenobi and Skywalker would still make a great pair.

That’s the thing. It’s not necessarily about resale value, though it’s appreciated, it’s more about the rarity and how “collectible” an item is. If these figures are over-produced and end up warming shelves, dropping in value, expect many collectors to lose interest. It’s part of the hobby. Everyone has a fair chance at these items when they’re put up for order. The pre-order window is quite large. If you miss out, you miss out.

If you collect the most mass produced item in the world it's still a collectible.

Yeah firm disagree. Don't really care if they reissue. I think situations like the Hot Toys ROTJ Lukes are much more egregious. No reason those figures were released so close together and couldn't just been a DX. I think V2s are fine in concept, but lets at least space it out before returning to the same well.

Straight reissue though I don't have a problem with or even if they want to "soft reissue" by releasing the same figure with fewer accessories (i.e. movie promo spider man FFH).

Should never ever do reissues. Ever. But I don't mind if after a number of years they do a 2.0 with different sculpt, accessories, etc. Bespin Luke is a good example of a figure ready for a 2.0.

These are NOT limited collectibles. They produce as many as ordered, when was the last time there was a HT figure that had a production run # associated with it? Like "Only 1000 available worldwide!" or something like that.

It doesn't happen, they make however many that are ordered. Hell look at the Dark Side Anakin. Hot Toys was STILL making that figure for Sideshow before the pandemic hit.

These are NOT limited collectibles. They produce as many as ordered, when was the last time there was a HT figure that had a production run # associated with it? Like "Only 1000 available worldwide!" or something like that.

It doesn't happen, they make however many that are ordered. Hell look at the Dark Side Anakin. Hot Toys was STILL making that figure for Sideshow before the pandemic hit.

They’re limited to the initial demand and then no longer produced. No one claimed they announced an edition size.

I mean reissuing figures has already been done with numerous figures whether we wanted it or not. All anyone can do is wait and see which ones they decide to do. If I?m not mistaken I think PT Yoda got a second run/reissue? I see him up for PO again. While these could be considered limited compared to many other cheaper figures you find in stores, I can?t remember HT ever actually calling them limited.

I mean reissuing figures has already been done with numerous figures whether we wanted it or not. All anyone can do is wait and see which ones they decide to do. If I?m not mistaken I think PT Yoda got a second run/reissue? I see him up for PO again. While these could be considered limited compared to many other cheaper figures you find in stores, I can?t remember HT ever actually calling them limited.

No doubt it's been done several times so would not be unheard of. Both Sideshow and Hot Toys have. And it does indeed seem pretty random which figures do and do not get second runs.

They’re limited to the initial demand and then no longer produced. No one claimed they announced an edition size.

Yeah exactly this, Yoda up for preorder again, they did another run of John Wick that just arrived to Sideshow recently. It's getting more common and really shouldn't bother people too much. It's still a handful of individual cases overall. I'm more concerned about overall quality or other production things like the split Jedi Luke releases as someone else brought up over however many other people have the same figure as me.

We all have our biggest regrets. My current one is not buying the Haslab/Hasbro Sail Barge. I don?t really collect that scale anymore so I passed but now I really wish I had made an exception. The way it goes...

Full reissuse are still very rare (ie. bring back a long sold out figure). I would consider that different from what Hot Toys has done recently, which is to make more runs of recently released figures that have sold well. I would imagine it's easier to do that because the facilities are still set up to make those figures.

Reissuing a figure would take more time and effort. Even the Iron Man Mk 47 reissue doesn't quite fully count as a reissue because they were still making the Mk 46 base figure right up until the announcement in Concept Armor form.

So I don't expect Hot Toys to reissue or re-release a lot of figures as it takes away from factories and workshops making new figures, which they seem to always just barely have capacity for. Setting everything up to make a figure again doesn't happen overnight just because they made it before. Plus there are other factors like licensing, likeness, material availability, etc.

And I do feel it would take away from some of their appeal if a lot of figures got re-released, both from a business and collector standpoint. Why buy it now when they'll just re-release it a short while later?

Last edited:

Ive definitely learned my lesson to ignore naysayers and nit pickers because I skipped out on ROTS Obi wan thinking he would drop in price or wait for an improved v2. Oh well now I gotta spend $400 minimum plus tax and shipping. I have to get him though because Anakin will be so lonely waiting for Rex and Ashoka (one day).

Ive definitely learned my lesson to ignore naysayers and nit pickers because I skipped out on ROTS Obi wan thinking he would drop in price or wait for an improved v2. Oh well now I gotta spend $400 minimum plus tax and shipping. I have to get him though because Anakin will be so lonely waiting for Rex and Ashoka (one day).

Got lucky on FB with someone selling the regular Obi-Wan for $350 and snagged it. The crazy thing to me is Anakin, maybe a year ago now I was trying to sell my reg. Anakin to get the Dark Side version instead and had him listed on FB for 180...no buyers....now you’re lucky to find him for less than $450. So glad I didn’t sell him as I have Obi to go with him now but it’s crazy the way the values change with these figures.

Well I finally lucked out on an eBay auction and got the regular set for $375 (of course tax hurt) but still a lot better than most listings and the other auction has a day left and is already at $385. I?m happy I will finally have the Negotiator in my collection next to Anakin soon. :D

Back