1/6 Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Stained or just browner? The outer tunic on mine is slightly brown on the midsection and I thought it was just colored that way, as a off white or something.

Is it not supposed to be colored in this way?

I am pretty sure it is stained. Not the off white it's supposed to be. There is no uniformity. The parts that make more contact with the robes have more stains.

Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

I am pretty sure it is stained. Not the off white it's supposed to be. There is no uniformity. The parts that make more contact with the robes have more stains.

If you have a picture I can tell you if it looks like mine, I just have a phone camera so it wouldn?t be that good looking if I post.

Damn, and here's me thinking it was a subtle weathering all the time! :lol

The figure does have slight weathering on the outer tabbards. It's supposed to look that way. if your sleeves are brown on his undershirt that's when you have a problem

The figure does have slight weathering on the outer tabbards. It's supposed to look that way. if your sleeves are brown on his undershirt that's when you have a problem

That?s where mine is, And while I don?t immediately notice any in the sleeves under the detolf lights, I wish I could use the robe without worry. I know some people wash theirs, but I?m far too nervous a collector to do so lol

If you want to wash it just get some hot water and put it in there to soak. A lot of the loose pigment will come out into the water. Then a cold rinse and air dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep. No harm will be done by putting it in water to wash off some of the excess dye. Just don?t go throw it in the washing machine & dryer lol

How much does a wash impact the lay and flow of the fabric, like Kenobi's robe as is hangs and looks like it has the weight of a 1:1 costume piece and not like a figure's robe like say the Sideshow Kenobi, would hate to lose that quality by messing with it.

You wont lose any of that. the robe may get a hair stiff as it dries, but should go back to laying the same way. sometimes after my items that i have washed are finished drying, I tumble them in my hands a bit to loosen them up, just don't use heat to dry it and you should be fine. Just be sure when you wash it that you do not scrub it at all, a gentle rub if anything is all you should give it. And don't use soap as it leaves a residue.

Using a fine, gentle detergent like that for babies is a good option too. When you're finished a mild vinegar/warm water dunk and final rinse will help set the remaining dye. There's so much dye in the robes that I legit turned three tupperware buckets totally brown while doing rinses; the robe looks identical but actually feels a bit looser and more natural now. Looks perfect too.

Just want to thank DioramaMaker for the heads up to me on the staining :hi5: I hand washed my robe tonight twice with a small amount of Gain detergent and a BUNCH of brown dye came out in the first go, the second time I used even less detergent and I think I got the remaining dye out as there wasn’t much brown in the water. I really appreciate it as this would’ve been one heck of a disappointment for a first Hot Toys after a couple years. Just waiting for it to air dry and we’ll be good to go! :yess:

Ahhh, I see! Cool, I've no problems then. :yess:

Just want to thank DioramaMaker for the heads up to me on the staining :hi5: I hand washed my robe tonight twice with a small amount of Gain detergent and a BUNCH of brown dye came out in the first go, the second time I used even less detergent and I think I got the remaining dye out as there wasn?t much brown in the water. I really appreciate it as this would?ve been one heck of a disappointment for a first Hot Toys after a couple years. Just waiting for it to air dry and we?ll be good to go! :yess:
For sure dude! I'm glad to hear that it worked out!

Do others like Anakin, Dooku etc stain as well?

Yes. Might not stain the sleeves since they're black, but they can stain the neck of the figure.

If you get a figure with a robe, wash the robe. Takes a few minutes and it'll save you a lot of headaches down the road.

Do everyone wash the robes? Mine is in the box (for 5 months I think). I checked it last week and saw no staining. Is this staining a given or a possibility?

Mine's in the box too, but I guess I should just wash the robes just in case.

I didn't put the robe on my Jedi Luke figure from ROTJ, but I still washed it just in case. It's worth doing.

Yeah all of the robes are subject to stain. They're just saturated with pigment with the rich color they've got. You gotta get the excess out. And I do recommend a mild vinegar/water combo rinse to help set the dye before your final rinse after soaping it up.

I'm really scared of damaging those robes, or discoloring them. I got a couple figures boxed right now, I guess I should check on them soon.

Back