Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any tutorial on removing the shirt? I'm afraid of running ruining it...

There is a strap that holds the shirt down and it runs between the legs at the crotch. You gotta remove the boots first, then the pants, then slowly stretch it over one of the legs(bending the knee will help get the strap over). Once thats done you can remove the shirt. Pull it upwards but do it slowly cus you dont want to tear the stitching when it goes over the wider parts of the body like the lats and shoulders.

Awesome display, Talibane! :rock

Nice set-up, Tali! Did you have all your figures in a box before?

Thanks, guys.:duff

And TonTon, some were in boxes but most were like sardines in a few cabinets where you really couldn't see the ones in the back half (so they might as well have been in boxes.) I now have 7 Besta cabinets (though one of those is Indy and GB)

Palps looks wasted there... 'Get me a bevvie, you big cloaked knobhead... and some crisps... Cheese & Onion!'

Haha - he always has a bit of a Ledger joker party boy aspect to me. It's the pale make-up and facial disfigurement but mostly its the smirks.:lol

Whoa. I always thought that sculpt wasnt that good, but it doesnt look bad in ur pic. I dont have the figure myself, so I.just want a Luke sculpt.

Yeah, it is a bit of an odd sculpt. In pics it felt like Robbie Benson from some angles but in-hand it really is 100% Hamill. I went back and forth on the HT Han as well - I recently re-bought the Han for my stormie body and I'm quite happy with it now.

Went ahead and did the fat suit mod on mine. I removed the middle section like everyone else, and then wrapped around some thin fabric to smooth things out again. I also took in the sides of the tunic by about 1/8" and stitched it to the padded pants to keep it as smooth and flat as possible.

And of course I also extended the neck as well. Still need to weather the belt like I've seen others in here do, but I'm definitely liking the look more now than before.

View attachment 422741

Very nice.:clap

I am going to get a more exciting pose for my Luke and might go in that direction. I do wish there was a way of turning on all the lights in a display with one button tap on your phone or something. I find getting to the saber switch on these figs to be a bit of a pain, so I rarely turn them (and other light-up features like R2) on.

Yeah, it is a bit of an odd sculpt. In pics it felt like Robbie Benson from some angles but in-hand it really is 100% Hamill. I went back and forth on the HT Han as well - I recently re-bought the Han for my stormie body and I'm quite happy with it now.
Imo it's not a hundred percent but still it's a pretty good sculpt. Have you checked the link I included in my last reply? I might just plan on getting that sculpt.

Sent from my SM-N920S using Tapatalk

Imo it's not a hundred percent but still it's a pretty good sculpt. Have you checked the link I included in my last reply? I might just plan on getting that sculpt.

Sent from my SM-N920S using Tapatalk

It looks good but I don't get sold on 3D renderings - I've seen too many start out awesome then not turn out so great. The other issue is paint - it'll cost you almost what the whole HT figure costs to get it painted really well by one of the top people on here.

There is a strap that holds the shirt down and it runs between the legs at the crotch. You gotta remove the boots first, then the pants, then slowly stretch it over one of the legs(bending the knee will help get the strap over). Once thats done you can remove the shirt. Pull it upwards but do it slowly cus you dont want to tear the stitching when it goes over the wider parts of the body like the lats and shoulders.

Yup. I found it also helps to push the shoulders forward as much as possible to make them narrower as you pull the shirt off.

Awesome mods Dave. A couple of questions.

When you took in the tunic, did you simply sew along the same seam just inboard 1/8" on both sides ?

Re: material removal and thin "stretch material" ?? see below

View attachment 422768

If you're talking about the cut out chest area, it already comes that way. I just wrapped some stretchy knit fabric around the gap in the torso, supergluing it to a few points on the remaining fat suit to hold it in place.

And yeah I followed the same seam from the end of the sleeve and then down the side, going in maybe 1/16 on the sleeve and 1/8 on the sides.

I'm not sure that part was really necessary though, as I've seen others create a pretty thin look just by removing the fat suit. That was just an extra step I felt like taking. :p

Rather than destroy the fatsuit, couldn't you just wrap your "stretchy material" tightly around the waist and glued it off? Or even use Scotch tape to just tighten up the fatsuit and thin the torso?

If you're talking about the cut out chest area, it already comes that way. I just wrapped some stretchy knit fabric around the gap in the torso, supergluing it to a few points on the remaining fat suit to hold it in place.

And yeah I followed the same seam from the end of the sleeve and then down the side, going in maybe 1/16 on the sleeve and 1/8 on the sides.

I'm not sure that part was really necessary though, as I've seen others create a pretty thin look just by removing the fat suit. That was just an extra step I felt like taking. :p

OK cool thanks. From what I can remember of the earlier fatsuit mods the black outfit looked a bit baggy in places, so probably the better way with the stitching to make him look thinner as in the movie. (and the SS version).

I think I'll have to sign my mum up to do that though. She's the one most capable with a sewing machine.

Rather than destroy the fatsuit, couldn't you just wrap your "stretchy material" tightly around the waist and glued it off? Or even use Scotch tape to just tighten up the fatsuit and thin the torso?

I don't think the knit fabric would be strong enough to squeeze in the fat suit. Maybe a thicker material like cotton would work, but that might also make the torso so stiff that it would limit posability.

And it's always hard to make tape smooth enough on a body and not have the wrinkles show through.

OK cool thanks. From what I can remember of the earlier fatsuit mods the black outfit looked a bit baggy in places, so probably the better way with the stitching to make him look thinner as in the movie. (and the SS version).

I think I'll have to sign my mum up to do that though. She's the one most capable with a sewing machine.

I just use the simplest and most basic little sewing machine for all the stuff I do. I wouldn't have a clue how to use a real machine with all the hundreds of different features and buttons. :D

G40llMv.jpg

R2 looks a bit excited there... :monkey3

Palps looks wasted there... 'Get me a bevvie, you big cloaked knobhead... and some crisps... Cheese & Onion!'

:lol

Thanks, guys.:duff

And TonTon, some were in boxes but most were like sardines in a few cabinets where you really couldn't see the ones in the back half (so they might as well have been in boxes.) I now have 7 Besta cabinets (though one of those is Indy and GB)

You gonna go with lighting? I’m finally thinking of redoing my lighting in the detolfs. The top down lighting is nice but you lose a lot of detail in the outfits from the waist down.

Also kinda want one besta for some more of the larger scenes, the e-web gets a bit tight in the detolf and the probe droid doesn’t even fit.

R2 looks a bit excited there... :monkey3

:lol

Gotta compete with "goldenrod", right?:lol

Some of the "arms" on the new HT R2 do look like they could be used for "other purposes.":dunno

You can't notice it in the picture (lighting blown out as TonTon says) but I finally did the rubbing alcohol q-tips on the silver dome and it really does make it look more like real metal. Amazing how thick the weathering was, turning the dome into a grey more than silver.

You gonna go with lighting? I’m finally thinking of redoing my lighting in the detolfs. The top down lighting is nice but you lose a lot of detail in the outfits from the waist down.

Also kinda want one besta for some more of the larger scenes, the e-web gets a bit tight in the detolf and the probe droid doesn’t even fit.

Lighting is tough. Because I do like the top-down lighting because I guess it suggests "high-end display" yet it does blow out detail. Yet if you go with something that's too bright and more even, you run the risk of pulling back on likeness because I think some characters - Vader, Palps and Yoda are good examples - are almost always seen onscreen in quite hot/contrasty top lighting and in more even lighting look more "toy-like."

Really not sure what the answer is. I do have some strip lights left from the old displays that I thought I might use as "foot lights" aimed up from the front floor like you see in theater to provide "fill light" in addition to the hot Ledberg IKEA lights from above, but not sure yet.

I’m tempted to try to shrink the fabric around the arms. Seems a bit too baggy.

Just twist them along the arm and spray them wet. Let them dry. You'll be happy.

Meanwhile, some poor pictures of my partly futzed Jedi Luke... got him wet, squeezed the hell out of the fatsuit and put the belts on. I'm not 100% on cutting up that suit.

Jedi COMP 1.jpg

Without Jedi tunic or belt, still a bit wide...

icon 2.jpg

Need some advice if you guys don't mind. So my Luke came with a damaged art box. Sideshow offered to either credit me 20 rewards dollars or return it for a full refund. I'm kinda torn because I'm not exactly happy with the issues with this figure. If I knew they would do an updated version of this figure down the road, I would return it. But if that doesn't happen for 10 years, then I'd want to keep it and try and fix its issues. What are your guys thoughts?

Back