Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can i stand the neck piece?
It would be great to have a photo of this modded fatsuit
Thanks

I couldn't find a neck adapter that gave the right height, so I'm currently used a very rudimentary solution with a long screw and magnets, but it's not very stable. When I start working on the shirt, I also intend to make the neck mod more permanent. I'll take some shots then and post them here. :)

I was motivated to work on Luke this weekend, I think I can finally call him done now!
I got a V2 shirt a few months ago so that I could modify one without the fear of messing up (that's my usual MO when it comes to customizing:lol). On a side note, I was actually surprised that the two shirts are not identical, after I thought I read here somewhere that they are. The V1 shirt has a velcro on the inside while the V2 does not. The sleeve length and collar opening also differ, though that might be due to normal variation.

Anyway, I used the V1 shirt to modify. I removed the sleeves and re-sewed them about 5-7 mm closer to the neck, reducing the bagginess and huge shoulder slope. I also removed the velcro and the inner white lining, since I don't intend to ever display him with the white showing. In the end, I actually stitched the shirt shut in two places, to get it as tight fitting as possible.
I also made the neck mod more robust. Being inspired by matrix' Darth Maul neck mod, I made a new neck that's about 3-4 mm longer than the original one, using a ball joint I had in my spare parts bin and a screw that I cut to size. I dremeled the inside of the peg and screwed the screw in, so it's pretty solid.
One thing often bothering me on 1:6 figures is that you can't get the arms close to the sides, so I slimmed the lats and inner arms of the TT to allow for better posing.
Finally, I removed some more padding of the bodysuit in some select places.
The gloved hand in the shots is from the SS V2 Maul, and I added some subtle shading to the sculpt last year, between the eye-brows and inside the mouth.

The new neck peg on the left vs. the original.
LukeROTJ_1.jpg

The sleeve on the right is already re-sewed here, the needle on the left shows roughly where I resewed the other side after removing the sleeve.
LukeROTJ_2.jpg

The arm on the left shows the original maximum you can bring the arms to the body (when the shoulder is up), the right is after modded.
LukeROTJ_3.jpg

The final body/padding underneath the clothing.
LukeROTJ_4.jpg

And the end product. :)

IMG_3831_3_small.jpg

IMG_3847_5_small.jpg

Awesome job, looks great [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great mod, figure looks much better 👏🏽

Great work, Agonistes!
It really shows in the final images.

And one of mine(A constant WIP):

You?re wrong. Soon I?ll be dead. And you with me.

533f269ac4acd8d8d9587b63bf8b7612.jpg

Thanks, guys. And looking good there, Username. I think he looks just a tad too skinny for my taste, especially compared to the size of the head, but perhaps it's just the angle of the photo.

I had some more fun posing mine, this time in a throne room duel pose.

IMG_3891_3_small.jpg

Thanks, guys. And looking good there, Username. I think he looks just a tad too skinny for my taste, especially compared to the size of the head, but perhaps it's just the angle of the photo.

Perhaps. I?m just going by the promo and set images and don?t like the bulking suit at all.
I?m a fan of all the tailoring work you did on yours. I reckon a better solution to the fatsuit you are using would be to take a thinner material and make an undersuit from it that will fractionally pad your costume but not make him as chubby as the fatsuit does. But that?s just an opinion. Our collection only needs to speak to us, and that figure I posted pics of above makes me think of ROTJ Luke the instant I see it.
I am using a slightly bulkier body than the HT one with a retailored suit, and the ANH head, so I can get more movement in the neck. I?m working on an ANH pilot Luke using the old hasbro suit with some tweaks, and the ROTJ headsculpt and the ANH hair piece.

I had some more fun posing mine, this time in a throne room duel pose.

View attachment 494248

Your Rotj Luke is amazing, i saw your "how to" post but i am scared to do these hardcore mods on mine.

Your Rotj Luke is amazing, i saw your "how to" post but i am scared to do these hardcore mods on mine.

Thanks! Yeah it's not for the faint hearted. I started customizing 1:6 around 10 years ago and built up my skills over the years. Doing one of these projects can still be nerve-wracking though, as mistakes can get costly.

Perhaps. I?m just going by the promo and set images and don?t like the bulking suit at all.
I?m a fan of all the tailoring work you did on yours. I reckon a better solution to the fatsuit you are using would be to take a thinner material and make an undersuit from it that will fractionally pad your costume but not make him as chubby as the fatsuit does. But that?s just an opinion. Our collection only needs to speak to us, and that figure I posted pics of above makes me think of ROTJ Luke the instant I see it.
I am using a slightly bulkier body than the HT one with a retailored suit, and the ANH head, so I can get more movement in the neck. I?m working on an ANH pilot Luke using the old hasbro suit with some tweaks, and the ROTJ headsculpt and the ANH hair piece.

Good call on using a bulkier body. And I agree that my Luke is still a bit too bulky actually. After looking over more reference shots and my figure, I decided I'll work on him some more, so he's back to a WIP at the moment. Guess this didn't last very long: :lol

I was motivated to work on Luke this weekend, I think I can finally call him done now!

The HT arms are too skinny and lack any detail, so I'll rework the arms (dremel and sculpt) to portray Hamill's shape more accurately, using ESB Dagobah shots as reference mostly. While he was thin, he was quite athletic and wiry, which gives him rather angular shoulders. And I'll resew the suit some more - for now, my plan is to bring in the sides, and potentially slim the sleeves, depending on what it looks like once the arms are more accurately shaped.
I do think I'll leave the padding on the waist as is, but I'll re-evaluate once I'm further along.

I'm hoping to have an update again in a few days. :wave

Good call on using a bulkier body. And I agree that my Luke is still a bit too bulky actually. After looking over more reference shots and my figure, I decided I'll work on him some more, so he's back to a WIP at the moment. Guess this didn't last very long: :lol

It's great fun to keep tinkering till you get a figure perfect!
I can't wait to see it after your next alterations.

Well, I can finally call him done for now. I did quite a large overhaul since my last version, and I'm quite pleased with the result. Before, I preferred to display him with the vest, now jumpsuit-only actually has my preference.

Here are all the changes I made to the original version:
  • Changed out shoulders and upper arms from another slim TT
  • Extended neck length by making a new neck peg
  • Dremeled and sculpted on the arms to give a better silhouette
  • Dremeled/sanded the lats, chest, and upper thighs
  • Retailored the shirt: Took in shoulders, tightened up the sleeves, slimmed the sides/waist, and generally removed a lot of excess fabric (also removed the white flap completely)
  • Retailored the undersuit (I dislike the term fatsuit, since it does serve an important purpose)
  • Put new stronger velcro on the belt to suit new slimmer waist, but also allow to be put over vest and sash
  • Darkened teeth/inner mouth and furrowed brows slightly

?I am a Jedi, like my father before me.?
IMG_4010_2_small.jpg

IMG_4006_2_small.jpg

IMG_3998_3_small.jpg

Some pictures of the body underneath:
IMG_3941_2_small.jpg

IMG_3949_2_small.jpg

IMG_3970_2_small.jpg

Before/after (and the before already had the shoulders retailored!):
IMG_3831_3_comparison.jpg

Well, I can finally call him done for now. I did quite a large overhaul since my last version, and I'm quite pleased with the result. Before, I preferred to display him with the vest, now jumpsuit-only actually has my preference.

Here are all the changes I made to the original version:
  • Changed out shoulders and upper arms from another slim TT
  • Extended neck length by making a new neck peg
  • Dremeled and sculpted on the arms to give a better silhouette
  • Dremeled/sanded the lats, chest, and upper thighs
  • Retailored the shirt: Took in shoulders, tightened up the sleeves, slimmed the sides/waist, and generally removed a lot of excess fabric (also removed the white flap completely)
  • Retailored the undersuit (I dislike the term fatsuit, since it does serve an important purpose)
  • Put new stronger velcro on the belt to suit new slimmer waist, but also allow to be put over vest and sash
  • Darkened teeth/inner mouth and furrowed brows slightly

?I am a Jedi, like my father before me.?
View attachment 495396

View attachment 495398

View attachment 495399

Some pictures of the body underneath:
View attachment 495400

View attachment 495401

View attachment 495402

Before/after (and the before already had the shoulders retailored!):
View attachment 495403
Well, that's got to be the best looking 1/6 Luke out there. Truly one of a kind.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Yeah I should pack mine up after seeing that lol. That's amazing! It's weird it doesn't look like you took off all that much with the dremelling? But added more to the arms?

Well, that's got to be the best looking 1/6 Luke out there. Truly one of a kind.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Yeah I should pack mine up after seeing that lol. That's amazing! It's weird it doesn't look like you took off all that much with the dremelling? But added more to the arms?

Thanks guys, that's some high praise!
The main reason for changing the shoulders was to get the shoulder bell wider than the upper arms themselves, which for some reason is backwards on the original body, causing a weird silhouette where the arms flare out. I dremeled only on the sides in between the biceps and triceps, yeah, to get that dimple where the biceps, triceps and shoulder bell meet. The sculpting is to fill out the suit more and give him better proportions. The original arms are way too skinny, so coupled with a too baggy suit, it causes wrinkles and creases in all the wrong places. Since this is a skin tight outfit, that's essentially what I tried to replicate. I used reference shots from Dagobah to try to get Hamill's physique right, though that's more of an approximation anyway.

It's weird.

I never find much wrong with Hot Toys figures, but then someone does mods to it, and I'm like "Hmm, I guess it wasn't that great" :lol

Looks great, really nice improvements. I like that the "before" photo is still a decent picture, so often you see people show one of the worst iphone photos as their before and then a high-quality DSLR shot for the after. :lol

Back