1/6 Hot Toys MMS200 - Man of Steel: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad this figure is still getting the love it deserves.
Those pictures posted by DaveJames were done by Owen who graciously gave me
Pointers on how to repaint mine.
Here?s the two I repainted.
Still one of my all time favorite figures.

I also still prefer this sculpt over the newer ones.
The JL has a better paint job, but it still suffers from being on the small side.

XP9M6pl.jpg

belRRO3.jpg

got one of those knock off superman heads that were in the justice league thread , was really wonky in hand but sanded the hair down and darkened it for my black suit custom it sort of works in the back of the cabinet type way lol ,crappy picture alert

20200601_121013_resized.jpg

20200601_095605_resized.jpg

20200601_095636_resized.jpg

Anyone know what went wrong here, someones selling this. The suit seemed to deteriorated.

View attachment 486274

View attachment 486275

It looks like someone tried to do the shoulder/cape mod and screwed up the suit with a glue that ate through it. If you have pictures of the figure straight on you can tell because the stock figure has very high shoulders because of the collar HT used. Many people got rid of the extra collar piece and reattached the cape or bought a after market one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic work! So how did you go about darkening the suit? With an airbrush, and the lighter areas drybrushed on afterward?

I just handpainted it. I knew Owen used airbrush, and paints that he used were lacquer paint which is generally used using airbrush. Its the paint a lot of people use on gundam robots and stuff. Lacquer paints are generally more vibrant than acrylic. They also dry faster.
I did look it up, and some people do use it to handpaint. So I thought, what the heck.

Its been awhile since I've done this mod. I basically painted in layers keeping the colors in very watery consistent using thinner.
I drybrushed some of the muscle areas like the abs, lower pecs, quads.
You can PM me and I can give you pointers to the best of my recollection of what I did.

The reason I have two MOS, cause I thought I was for sure gonna butcher it, since I'm not using airbrush. And I figured I'm gonna be really pissed if I do mess up...and now I dont have any MOS figure, lol.
At the time, I saw someone looking to trade their MOS, so I traded another figure, so can can have another MOS figure in case I screwed up.

Snyder used different filters where on some scenes, Superman had the more darker blue, and some scenes, like the interrogation scene, it was more metallic blue.
I know i really wanted the darker blue scheme, so that was my version 1.
I had a lot of fun doing the mod, and I thought it was actually easier than I thought, so I
repainted version 2 with the metallic blue color scheme.

Wow really impressive work for being all hand-painted! Not sure when I'll ever get my hands on the figure again, but when I do I'll be sure to bug you for those details.

And can't believe you actually sold that. It's probably the best MOS mod I've ever seen.

Very nice work Remy :clap Love it! The main reason I did't go the airbrush route is, for me, I prefer using the method like in the movies. The airbrushing looks FANTASTIC, though. I love what you, Owen, Jaxon and other's have done, I just like going the actual movie suit route :)

This one was mine (terrible, old pics from 2016 though :lol)

-BvS body with forearms and thighs removed with high gloss coating applied
-BvS boots with MoS wing trim--more accurate plus ankle mobility
-BvS cape
-Repainted chest symbol. (can't tell in these pics but it's metallic red :lol)
-Repainted suit dark blue.
-I later made my own thin more accurate cuffs but those pics haven't been resized.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Wow really impressive work for being all hand-painted! Not sure when I'll ever get my hands on the figure again, but when I do I'll be sure to bug you for those details.

And can't believe you actually sold that. It's probably the best MOS mod I've ever seen.

Thanks man. Hope you get a hold of one of these days.
Oh, I didnt sell either one of mine, I still have them both ver1 and 2 of my MOS repaint. :)

Very nice work Remy :clap Love it! The main reason I did't go the airbrush route is, for me, I prefer using the method like in the movies. The airbrushing looks FANTASTIC, though. I love what you, Owen, Jaxon and other's have done, I just like going the actual movie suit route :)

-BvS cape
-I later made my own thin more accurate cuffs but those pics haven't been resized.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks G! :duff
Man, your MOS is also impressive dude. More movie accurate!
Great job dude! :clap

Yep. Like I?ve said, I feel the best Cavill Supes body is the MoS body. It looks most proportionate to me. Even stock I think the figure is very nice, but when you perform the collar/cape mod by plucking out that weird trapezoid riser piece, install a cape with a nicer drape and give the suit a repaint to make it look more film accurate (I personally like the color of the stock suit regardless of being film accurate), then yeah, this figure I think blows away all Cavill Supes figures, even if you mod those.

I remember snaring this figure off of eBay for $50 in 2014. Auction, no BIN, no reserve. This was back when this figure was going for peanuts and people couldn?t give them away.

:horror That's amazing! I don't remember it ever going for under $150 and that was for a very short time-frame.

-BvS cape

attachment.php

Amazing job! I especially like the paint apps on the boots. Really highlights them, as opposed to the stock "all-red" that mine are.

Either of you take commissions? [emoji28]

Lol. I have been asked before if I take commissions, and as much as its a huge compliment to be asked, I really only do this for fun, and as extension of the hobby. I've been tempted to take commissions, as it would be nice to get some $$ to help fund the hobby.
But honestly, I dont do it enough to be comfortable taking someone's money and not do a good job of it. Many times, when I do the repaint or mods, its all trial and error for me.

Lol, that's why I mentioned I got another MOS figure, cause I was already anticipating screwing it up. I was actually already
planning on what I would do with the MOS body to use on another figure if I screw up. :lol

Fortunately, the outcome came out great. But I may do it at another time, and not get the same results. I dont want to take people's money, and give less than the desired results.
When I did my Batfleck repaint, it was nowhere near as fun as repainting MOS. I literally had to step back cause I was getting frustrated and had thoughts of throwing the figure in the trash. lol
Thank you though, that's a nice compliment to be asked. :duff

I never planned on getting the MOS figure but a few months ago I found someone locally(offerup) selling one for $125 obo. This was a deal too good to pass up, plus i had been wanting to do the black suit mod so I bought it. Now that there may be a chance HT will make a black suit supes since the announcement of Snyder cut JL, ill hold off on the black suit mod. Lately I've have been contemplating painting it to look more movie accurate also, im just nervous ill mess it up somehow[emoji28]

By the way, awesome repaints Remy and Gipetto0812!

By chance did either of you take the suit off and apply any paint to the body of the figure?

I never planned on getting the MOS figure but a few months ago I found someone locally(offerup) selling one for $125 obo. This was a deal too good to pass up, plus i had been wanting to do the black suit mod so I bought it.
A good while back I ordered MOS Superman from SS for about the same price, figuring he'd be a cool companion to Christopher Reeve Superman, which at the time was my only HT. Great sale, I thought. I was floored when Superman AND Jor-El arrived. Needless to say I had to get Zod. I now have about 2 dozen HTs displayed in my office. This hobby is something else.

I never planned on getting the MOS figure but a few months ago I found someone locally(offerup) selling one for $125 obo. This was a deal too good to pass up, plus i had been wanting to do the black suit mod so I bought it. Now that there may be a chance HT will make a black suit supes since the announcement of Snyder cut JL, ill hold off on the black suit mod. Lately I've have been contemplating painting it to look more movie accurate also, im just nervous ill mess it up somehow[emoji28]

By chance did either of you take the suit off and apply any paint to the body of the figure?

Thanks man. I believe G did. His is more movie accurate.
I didnt, I only painted the suit.

Oh I see. It still looks pretty damn good though.

Here's a Resinworx MOS repainted by darkspideycusyoms which is freaking ridiculous. I'm wondering if this can be achieved on the hot toys MOS. I'm tempted to give it a shot but I need to figure out a technique, what kind of paints , etc... sometimes I think about it too hard and start to get a damn headache[emoji1].
d1196e579ba351ddde744e244c644367.jpg

Oh I see. It still looks pretty damn good though.

Here's a Resinworx MOS repainted by darkspideycusyoms which is freaking ridiculous. I'm wondering if this can be achieved on the hot toys MOS. I'm tempted to give it a shot but I need to figure out a technique, what kind of paints , etc... sometimes I think about it too hard and start to get a damn headache[emoji1].
d1196e579ba351ddde744e244c644367.jpg

Find you here buddy,my message box is full email me [email protected]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks G! :duff
Man, your MOS is also impressive dude. More movie accurate!
Great job dude! :clap

Thanks man but I've always been impressed by yours. Yours doesn't look overly shaded like so many others which I really dig. I think some ppl have gone too far with the airbrush. Since yours is by hand I think it gives it a much more natural look. :clap

Either of you take commissions? [emoji28]

Remy has said it perfectly for how I am when it comes to customizing, I just do this for fun in my off time. And I don't buy two, so I reeeeally can't eff up :lol I've tried taking commissions before and it's too stressful for someone with a full time job, pets and gf, let a lone having someone else's item to work on, who is also very anxious to receive it. So, customizing is just a little fun escape for now. Maybe in a year or two when I get my online business becomes regular work. I would *think* it would easier to do commissions by then but who knows :lol But, I'm always flattered and honored that someone would be interested in my work, so thank you for asking.

Amazing job! I especially like the paint apps on the boots. Really highlights them, as opposed to the stock "all-red" that mine are.

Thank you! The boots are actually from the BvS figure, so no repainting required. They're pretty much the right shade already. I just removed the BvS wing trim at the top of the boots and replaced them with the ones from the MoS boots. it was a very slow peeling process with an xacto knife.

Thank you! I did take the suit off as I replaced it with the already silver BvS body. I just just had to paint the forearms and thighs silver since I removed the huge ones that HT put on there. Those parts were black underneath. After that, I did just one quick coat of high gloss sealer over the entire thing with the neck and collar area taped off to give it an extra bit of shine.

Glad this figure is still getting the love it deserves.
Those pictures posted by DaveJames were done by Owen who graciously gave me
Pointers on how to repaint mine.
Here?s the two I repainted.
Still one of my all time favorite figures.

I also still prefer this sculpt over the newer ones.
The JL has a better paint job, but it still suffers from being on the small side.

XP9M6pl.jpg

belRRO3.jpg

-BvS cape

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

These look amazing! :clap

Even though the color is film accurate due to Zack sucking the color out of a lot of his films, it’s still a little too dark for me. I feel the color of the stock suit is relatively accurate to the actual color of the suit under normal lighting:

c5e1de40ce694a2164a79acc20190492.jpg

All comes down to preference of course because both are considered “accurate” in different ways, but I suppose any excuse to justify a lighter colored suit and say it still is accurate in some way, I’d prefer that.

Back