Hot Toys - MMS173 - Predator 2: 1/6th scale City Hunter Predator Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the shadow Predator was like the DX10: a figure sculpted with the full intention of using it to make another figure.

Economics, I suppose.

This really should not surprise anyone. If any of you are familiar with the MOTUC figures, all or most of them are nothing more than recycled parts with different paint jobs or small elements added or subtracted.

I'm sure all companies do this, even Hot Toys, Enterbay, and Sideshow. NECA does it too!

This really should not surprise anyone. If any of you are familiar with the MOTUC figures, all or most of them are nothing more than recycled parts with different paint jobs or small elements added or subtracted.

I'm sure all companies do this, even Hot Toys, Enterbay, and Sideshow. NECA does it too!

NECA sure does. Their Termintors and Predators are put together in a way to maximize part reuse. It comes down to the cost of the steel molds used for production. Last I heard, they cost $50,000 per mold. Also, the cost of having an artist create a sculpt from scratch is a factor.

So yeah, it shouldn't be a surprise that the City Hunter and Shadow Predator are very similar. I don't have them both to see for myself, but I bet they share quite a few parts.

NECA sure does. Their Termintors and Predators are put together in a way to maximize part reuse. It comes down to the cost of the steel molds used for production. Last I heard, they cost $50,000 per mold. Also, the cost of having an artist create a sculpt from scratch is a factor.

So yeah, it shouldn't be a surprise that the City Hunter and Shadow Predator are very similar. I don't have them both to see for myself, but I bet they share quite a few parts.

If that number is true, can you imagine what each accessory for a figure costs to produce? Im sure to some extent, the molds vary in price based on size and complexity but still. Damn.

"Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) is the third most widely used thermoplastic behind Polyethylene and Polypropylene. A large majority of the PVC is used for construction goods because it is inexpensive, durable and easy to use. It also can be manufactured in both hard and softer durometers which enables it to be very versatile. Now that we see that PVC is used widely in the manufacturing world, there are some dangers that arise when injection molding PVC. An important feature of PVC is the inclusion of chlorine. Now the inclusion of chlorine poses a new type of threat that many plastics do not have…emitting a harmful corrosive toxic gas. For this reason, many injection molding companies will turn down opportunities because of the extra risk associated with PVC. The processing of PVC requires stainless steel injection molds if you want any type of longevity out of them molds. In addition, the molds will require a higher level of tooling maintenance than molds used to for processing standard plastics.This is the short answer to why some injection molding companies are reluctant to run a PVC application.To learn more on Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) you can visit Wikipedia at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PvcYou can also visit us at Quickparts to discuss your application: https://www.quickparts.com"

Okay, here's my first HT Predator figure as I unboxed it today:

D287380B-98B9-4D24-832B-52EF6A323ABD-2826-00000326F3008060_zps43764cb9.jpg

My first impression when I slid off the cover: whoa, that's a big guy.

EBBEB9AC-79D9-4BF4-A0B6-75E5B334B905-2826-00000326FBD92FC9_zps7cae8cae.jpg

Some head shots:

546BA26F-CEC3-4FDA-A361-55CC3D5690C5-2826-00000327031790B9_zpsc8e5a2a1.jpg

85CCDABD-C0DA-4A3F-A097-C985BF7710B6-2826-0000032709A923E7_zps70c5888f.jpg

31D17551-DF71-4FEB-A320-B031BE962D23-2826-0000032710DE294C_zps01ad384c.jpg

I'll need to get used to the articulation. My first attempt at a pose:

095E4CB1-288D-424B-8A7C-3A50464B5DFF-2826-0000032718251CB0_zpsd37ec97a.jpg

I was trying to include the skull trophy in the left hand, but none of the hands are designed to hold it. I've seen pics that show it can be worked into the one hand somehow.

Overall, it's pretty damn impressive. It just looks great and has a lot of presence. It might not be so awesome in person for people who already own HT Predators, but for me it was a real "wow" moment.

I was trying to include the skull trophy in the left hand, but none of the hands are designed to hold it. I've seen pics that show it can be worked into the one hand somehow.

Overall, it's pretty damn impressive. It just looks great and has a lot of presence. It might not be so awesome in person for people who already own HT Predators, but for me it was a real "wow" moment.

Congrats... looks good.
you can never go wrong with one of these, they're resell value is always top notch, and their longevity is much better with these new bodies

If that number is true, can you imagine what each accessory for a figure costs to produce? Im sure to some extent, the molds vary in price based on size and complexity but still. Damn.

IIRC, that number came from Jerry Macaluso back when he was still the man behind SOTA. When he switched factories when producing the Street Fighter line, the old factory "lost" the molds. He mentioned the cost when explaining why it wasn't feasible to create new molds for the previously released figures.

God I can't decide whether or not to get him.. he's so awsome and I love predators...really want him. Have tracker and falconer coming in the mail already, but I feel guilty every time I spend a chunk of money like that, although I do have some extra money after paying my tuition...

Yea I said I love predators like crazy, their designs and everything are wicked and I can definitley afford him, I got 1.1k left from my scholarship for whatever I want to spend on but Im still not sure lol, maybe I should save it or maybe I could think of the predator as an investment too :p. I could always sell for most of my money back if I ever needed to right?

Do you like him? are you a predator fan?

its nice, the only HT p2 we will be getting for years. But can you afford him?

:)

What do guys think?? Switched heads for now.

20130208_145517_zps7016c38a.jpg
looks good, the best of the best collaboration would be if you were to transfer the dreads from the new sculpt to the old. But we dont expect you to do that as it means changing the 2 heads sculpts, but it would look the best

Back