Hot Toys - MMS173 - Predator 2: 1/6th scale City Hunter Predator Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn, I love these shots.

251974_10151216118862344_2108663625_n.jpg

That is the shot right there. Beautiful.

PD1338785476YQp.jpg

This was my most-anticipated figure a year ago, and unfortunately now a year later it's my most disappointing figure. I can't believe Hot Toys actually shipped this thing with Classic's head; for $225 they have no excuse to cut corners like that, and with this figure they've cut a lot of corners. The lack of original headsculpt is the most offensive culprit, but every one of his accessories is also recycled from a past release. Forgivable if that spear were now metal instead of plastic, but I'm guessing based on how crooked it is, they're still using plastic.

The shoulder canon is just stupid wrong; it's half the size it ought to be, and they've still mounted it with the same pole rig they copied from McFarlane Toys so long ago. The groove over his left shoulder is there for a purpose - to pivot the canon! Nitwits.

I'm not terribly impressed with the paint application either; it seems cheap and sloppy to me. The extremely well-executed copper look of the armor from the prototype has been done away with in favor of a nice glossy turd brown color. The reds in the skin seem to come to a more abrupt stop. The details just don't seem to hold up to the scrutiny and extreme close-ups that OMG used to take of figures (there's not really a close-up of the face in the whole lot of "blogger" photos). What's the deal with the super smooth arm computer?

The helmet is a definite improvement over the prototype, and if you're a person who's content with keeping the helmet on at all times (and the canon tucked away) he's still an impressive figure. It's just that for two-hundred-twenty-five damn dollars, you shouldn't have to scrap half what you're paying for because it's crap. Yeah, this looks nice in the photos below, but as a "2.0" release it could have and should have been a helluva lot better.

69636_474906205904708_1447374892_n.jpg

397972_474906265904702_1058412527_n.jpg

Yeah the pole is too long and the cannon is too small and thin but oh well the rest looks too good. By the way this will be my first pred with real netting, so how well is articulation with the netting predators? Does it hinder the body on the arms and stuff?

This pred is gonna be so badass in hand. I just hope the spear and shoulder cannon work well and aren't fragile.

The cannon needs some serious work, it looks way to small. The NECA 1/4 scale cannon is awesome. What's with this pole thing they're using here??

in practice have improved the mask .... and the upper tusks
the rest did not correct anything .... and the color seems too dark and abundant

Overall, I'm still very impressed with this figure. Could the paint be a little better. Yeah. But when I think back to the old Kenner/Hasbro Alien and Predator figures that seemed so awesome back then, even though I wished for something like this to come along one day, I have to say "dream came true". All these years later, here it is.

looks good to me im fine with it ,ill probably fix the mandibles though .
also glad they fixed the bio ,and the face looks better than the proto ,not movie accurate but close enough .

remember though nothing is ever perfect

The helmet is a definite improvement over the prototype, and if you're a person who's content with keeping the helmet on at all times (and the canon tucked away) he's still an impressive figure. It's just that for two-hundred-twenty-five damn dollars, you shouldn't have to scrap half what you're paying for because it's crap. Yeah, this looks nice in the photos below, but as a "2.0" release it could have and should have been a helluva lot better.

There lies the problem. I'm looking forwards to displaying this guy masked but having him displayed unmasked is never going to be an option, especially stood next to Classic (with the same head). 50% of me is WOWed, whilst the other half is so so...

What is with Hot Toys refusal to provide a proper gripping left hand on their Predator figures?

The P2 pred fought using his spear held in both hands. The film poster has him holding something in both hands.

It looks like all you get is a hand for the net gun and I think thats the one OMG has him haphazardly holding the trophy skull with. Its not a proper gripping hand though.

Well an awfull release as I expected, nothing surprises me.

The most dissapointing thing is the paint job - HOLY **** it's soooo lame and lazy looking!
Espesially the armor, like we're back to 2007...

If I didn't sold my old BD Model Kit last year I'd just buy a loose body and palms from this new figure.

What is with Hot Toys refusal to provide a proper gripping left hand on their Predator figures?

The P2 pred fought using his spear held in both hands. The film poster has him holding something in both hands.

It looks like all you get is a hand for the net gun and I think thats the one OMG has him haphazardly holding the trophy skull with. Its not a proper gripping hand though.

I know. We need a better range of hands for future releases.

You're still buying him though right?! :lol

The most dissapointing thing is the paint job - HOLY **** it's soooo lame and lazy looking!
Espesially the armor, like we're back to 2007...

If I didn't sold my old BD Model Kit last year I'd just buy a loose body and palms from this new figure.

Not sure what picture u are looking at, this thing screams p2, it looks great, and I am shocked that they made improvements. They could have left the proto alone and sold tons of this figure. I am really happy with how it looks in omg's pics. It's a big surprise for me, but I was getting this when I saw the proto pics, never thought they would actually fix anything on it :yess:

Back