Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars Episode VII: Finn 1/6th Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again I just be in the minority but I don't see any issue with the head at all. It looks a lot like him and to me he had that expression a few times in the film and the moments he did, were when he was doing something halfway courageous or productive.

finnstormtrooper.gif

I don't disagree with that at all, RF. My argument is that there were SO few moments in the movie where he even approached this expression that the figure ultimately does a poor job of representing his character.

I have no doubt that someone at HT made the active choice to intensify his expression when the idea of packaging him with the FORT was floated, but if I had my wish, the fighting expression would have been a variant offered along side the 'real' Finn figure...

I'm sure it's mentioned earlier in this thread, but how are you guys modifying his height? I know the extenders at the end of his legs can be removed, but the ball pegs on his ankle don't really fit into his legs.

I'm sure it's mentioned earlier in this thread, but how are you guys modifying his height? I know the extenders at the end of his legs can be removed, but the ball pegs on his ankle don't really fit into his legs.

Best way is to shave one ball of a spare couple of regular footpegs. I'm sure there's a pic somewhere...

I really want to want this figure, but I just can't get over the disconnect on the likeness.... Damn. :(

The likeness is amazing in person. The John Boyega portrait is honestly one of my favorites Hot Toys has done.

Is it unseemly to quote one's self..?

Nice!

Received my Finn today. Very nicely put together figure. Great tailoring. Looks like Boyega, doesn't look like Finn (if you follow me). I'll adjust the height, and he'll look just fine in my collection. Working now on lighting strategy to try to downplay the decidedly "unFinnish" expression.

finnstormtrooper.gif

I don't disagree with that at all, RF. My argument is that there were SO few moments in the movie where he even approached this expression that the figure ultimately does a poor job of representing his character.

I have no doubt that someone at HT made the active choice to intensify his expression when the idea of packaging him with the FORT was floated, but if I had my wish, the fighting expression would have been a variant offered along side the 'real' Finn figure...

The likeness is amazing in person. The John Boyega portrait is honestly one of my favorites Hot Toys has done.

Theres no question I think its one of the most accurate portraits they have done.

If you look at the Solo, Paul Rudd, Adam Driver and countless other recent releases you realize that Hot Toys misses the mark way more than they hit it.

In my opinion if Finn figure had the goofy, confused, wussy or all of the other expressions he had most of the time it would not convey a character who has potential to grow into a hero and a leader, which I think bottom line he was supposed to be (even though, as I mentioned before he came off as more of a waste of space in the first film). Those glimmers of potential is what gives me hope for his character in the long run, one thing I think the figure captures perfectly.

Sculpt and facial expression is right on the mark if you ask me (although I don't disagree I see ab it of Denzel in there sometimes too). And it's not perfect, but barely any sculpt ever is.

I think the likeness is spot on. It changes at different angles.
bec332b318c4b060508d98b2a74763c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The likeness is right on in my opinion. It's the body that is way off. He's too thin all around. Legs are much too thin, too long, and need to be slightly bow legged.

For those of you who have shortened the legs, didn't that make the pants too long?

The likeness is right on in my opinion. It's the body that is way off. He's too thin all around. Legs are much too thin, too long, and need to be slightly bow legged.

For those of you who have shortened the legs, didn't that make the pants too long?

They bunch up a little bit but I think it looks natural. Without the mod he really looks out of proportion to me.

image.jpeg

Found it!

I used hot water, a pair of pliers and a little gentle twisting and pulling to remove the extenders.

With a pair of extra ankle pegs( I could have used Finn's but I wanted to keep the stock parts) I carefully held them vertical and, in a downward motion onto a hard surface, shaved one ball joint with a sharp knife until it fit semi-snugly into the extender holes of the legs.

Then viola! You have an awesome looking Finn.

View attachment 277157
View attachment 277158

In case anyone is curious what the inside of Finn's lightsaber arm looks like. I'm taking one apart to use in a custom piece.

IMG_2666.JPG

I am going to be doing the mod to mine next week, and after my last mod...which was a disaster lol...I am nervous...but this on looks easier. On a side note....I freackin' love this forum and all the information you can gleam from it. I did a review for the two pack https://youtu.be/rFHNCGJw64k and would love your guys opinion. As always...thank you for being an awesome forum:):clap:wink1::wave

IMG_2871.jpg

I am going to be doing the mod to mine next week, and after my last mod...which was a disaster lol...I am nervous...but this on looks easier. On a side note....I freackin' love this forum and all the information you can gleam from it. I did a review for the two pack https://youtu.be/rFHNCGJw64k and would love your guys opinion. As always...thank you for being an awesome forum:):clap:wink1::wave

Nice review.

Are you planning on doing a demonstration on how to remove the ankles? I want to do it myself but I want to see footage of someone else doing it first hahah.

I see all these great pictures of the production piece and think he might just work on display...

Then I see THIS and want to cry

cabimage.jpeg

If he turned out to look like this I would have bought it 100% for sure. He doesnt though so I just basically passed on him and will wait for the DX version, or version 2 of some kind which of course is inevitable. Im very patient. Ill wait forever for them to get it right than to spend $200 on something that will always bother me. Same with Rey. At least from the product shots. Looks nothing like Daisy at all. Unrecognizable to her.

View attachment 287479

I've watched and enjoyed your past reviews.....welcome to the boards.

I just got Finn and the Riot Trooper in the mail today, very impressed. I really like the sculpt on Finn and I was thinking is proportions looked a bit off so good to see a quick mod. Also, I'm not a fan of those clear plastic joints; they were a nightmare of cracks and loose limbs for the original Aliens Warrior figure and Abe Sapien. And kind of a WTF decision to have clear joints on a human body :lol

Anyway, really digging the set and glad I opted for both figures it took care of my need for a trooper (hadn't bought one yet) and Finn.

Just got the set! Pretty happy with it overall, especially with how Finn's/Poe's jacket came out. Noticed increased articulation with TR-8R too. His kneepad comes off easily and the Velcro doesn't seem to be aligned, but I guess I can futz it away eventually.

Something seems to be wrong with the included sabers, though. I didn't notice if the metal around the actuator (?) was black in the films or not. It's probably not a factory defect since I checked two boxes and the sabers were painted the same way. Here's a comparison between Finn's (left) and Luke's (right):

image.jpg

Anyone else have this problem too? If it really is a problem.

Back