Hot Toys MMS 293 & 294 Batman Returns: Batman and Bruce Wayne (Keaton) Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys – MMS 293 & 294 Batman Returns: Batman and Bruce Wayne (Keaton) Set

Kevin Conroy is hard to surpass, that's why the bat from the Arkham games is probably the best

Well to be fair Conroy is hard to surpass because he has the distinct advantage of simply being a voice. It's far more
complicated for actors as they are tasked to display much more when it comes to depicting Batman. This is
why I usually try not to draw the unfair comparison between Conroy as a voice actor for Batman vs the various actors tasked
with depicting Batman in the cinematic medium.

This was always my complaint about them, and the Nolanverse was almost exactly what I wanted. Though ironically Nolan went a bit too "real world", which made me appreciate the Burtonverse more.

And this is the best article I've seen on Batman Returns: Gotham Alleys: "Nightmare that tastes like candy"

That's ultimately the overall issue I took with Nolan's trilogy, it became to "realistic" to the point that it was no longer enjoyable.
This is one reason why I consider Batman Begins to be the best of the trilogy. IMO it struck the best balance between comic book
and a bit of realism. And while TDKR isn't a bad film I do consider it to be the Godfather 3 of the series.

I will not make me friends but i never like the Nolan Trilogy. Too " daily " and "realistic" . BB was correct , the begining of TDK was great but the second part of the movie was awfull and TDKR was catastrophic... An action/terrorist/catastroph movie where Batman was missing the half part of the movie. At half time i almost forgot that i was watching a Batman movie and i even thought that John Mclane could arrive to save Gotham City...
Even if returns is a little weak compared to 89, there are too many iconic moments to not like this movie!
Burton really catched the mood of Batman!

I agree with a substantial amount of this. Essentially TDKR seem for like a Nolan film featuring Batman whereas Returns was more like a Burton film featuring Batman. However I do believe Burton caught the right mood and while I initially didn't like it as a kid, I truly enjoy it much more now.

Last edited:
Re: Hot Toys – MMS 293 & 294 Batman Returns: Batman and Bruce Wayne (Keaton) Set

i hated the whole thing with bane taking over the city and the whole thing with the bomb. I also hated that thing with bruce having to climb out of the prison thing.

i hated the whole thing with bane taking over the city and the whole thing with the bomb. I also hated that thing with bruce having to climb out of the prison thing.

the concept of bruce climb out of the prison is the same thing as ra's being reborn again. that's why the prison called lazarus pit. i thinks its pretty neat

I consider Batman to be a form of art, the story being it's theme that can be interpreted in many ways. Just like art perceptions are subjective. I liked both the Burton as Nolan movies for different reasons. Burton's for the seriousness it gave the character and the neo iconic, gothic, surrealistic world it created. The latter was more present in Batman Returns, when Burton after the success of the first movie got free hand to further deepen his view on the Batman world / character. I disliked the "butchered" Batman Forever (that was cut by the studio because they didn't like the director's cut) because of the weak story and the circus-like act. Same goes for Batman & Robin but the advantage of those last 2 movies is that they are responsible for the change of direction that came with Nolan. I loved his movies for their realism, it was just like Batman could exist in the present world. He placed Batman in current society and got away with it.

Of course, just like with art there are always elements that don't appeal to everyone. That is a good thing, it sets the discussion going. See it as a whole, all versions have brought us something good even when it's just a change in direction.

THIS IS a batcave:

14316841679_c49d84489a_c.jpg

14502307862_ba9fc8d619_b.jpg

nice batcave although the derpy bloody mouth plate on batman looks kinda funny :lol

Probably my least favourite of the films...Bane didn't work for me. He kinda sounded like the guy from It's A Wonderful Life.

The thing I liked the most about Burton's films, especially Returns, is the idea that all of these characters-Batman, Joker, Catwoman, Penguin--are damaged people. It takes a kind of psychosis to don an elaborate, theatrical disguise and then go out trying to impose your will on people. It's cathartic for them; their way of working out their emotional issues. Like Keaton says to Selina at the end of Returns: "We're both cracked right down the middle." I can accept Batman in those circumstances, but Nolan's take was so realistic that it makes you think, "How is a guy dressed like a bat walking around in this world? Why do people accept him?" When Harvey Dent gave the press conference in Dark Knight and said, completely seriously, "I am the Batman," it made me chuckle at the absurdity of the character talking about a "Batman" existing in that world.

I was aware of that but, thats not how the talia character originally was from the begining and in TDKR she starts off bad. The point is Talia should not have been the bad guy.

Originally Batman used guns and shot people. Originally Superman was much more brutal and could not fly. Things change all the time. Talia is still technically a villain. At times she sides with Bruce, and at times she sides with her father. In TDKR she chose Ras. That was pretty consistent with her character from comics.

... but Nolan's take was so realistic that it makes you think, "How is a guy dressed like a bat walking around in this world? ...

Yeah, I think the more "real" Batman got, the more preposterous the outfit became... and the more you realized how impractical the cape is. I kept thinking: he should just wear an armored ninja outfit sans cape and he'd be a much better fighter.

I never questioned it in Burton's world -- which was more comic -- because almost everyone seemed overdressed and eccentric in that world.

Decided to just PO the Batman single. But got some cheap clothes from monkey depot and bashed a simple batcave bruce using the ace toyz
9b8d4773934cb82315009c63f22509ae.jpg
ac50a72e9eb3b44d75682b491fd4eee0.jpg
head.

That's a really good substitute if Hot Toys don't go with one of their better sculpts.

Nice :clap

Is it weird that I feel that blue jeans are synonymous with the black sweater for Keaton Bruce Wayne? :lol

That headsculpt is so much better

Its a fantastic head, but the neck needed trimming down as it sat too high, also his right eyebrow needs about 1mm extra paint towards the furrow. But thats being picky

Yea that does look good. Man Ace Toyz must be cleaning up with sales of their Keaton sculpt after HT showed off theirs. :lol

I do think that the Keaton sculpt will be changed. We've seen in recent releases the production pieces change for the better. Spider-Man's outfit material, Batman ARKHAM City's suit was altered and Rocket Racoon's sculpt was tweaked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope, they can't leave it unchanged with the entire internet hating that thing

I just hope the rubber armor holds on this figure. The head sculpt does not bother me since I probably would get the single batman figure without keaton in a tux.

The thing I liked the most about Burton's films, especially Returns, is the idea that all of these characters-Batman, Joker, Catwoman, Penguin--are damaged people. It takes a kind of psychosis to don an elaborate, theatrical disguise and then go out trying to impose your will on people. It's cathartic for them; their way of working out their emotional issues. Like Keaton says to Selina at the end of Returns: "We're both cracked right down the middle." I can accept Batman in those circumstances, but Nolan's take was so realistic that it makes you think, "How is a guy dressed like a bat walking around in this world? Why do people accept him?" When Harvey Dent gave the press conference in Dark Knight and said, completely seriously, "I am the Batman," it made me chuckle at the absurdity of the character talking about a "Batman" existing in that world.

yes, You're right, even Keaton Batman is like a psychotic; that's the essence of burton's batman; Do you remember when Vicky Bale asked to Knox about the Wayne's murdered... what it does to a little boy?

Back