1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
up next from hot toys
GeNpGo3.jpg

Just like that of an accurate likeness on a human character the OT Star Wars helmets and armor has the same asymmetric idiosyncrasies of a human character and without those, they just don't look right. Sure, they can go slightly idealized and not incorporate all the dings and scratches, but going too idealized and it will never look right. The Marmit wasn't exact to screen used, but it was the amount of idealized that you should get with a high end sculpt - anything more and you are not capturing the character. Any idealizing attempts that has been done to full scale helmets never turned out that great and it always took away from the look and feel of the character - it removed what was so fantastic with the original sculpt.

Once they stop treating it as a machined design and attack it from a human likeness standpoint, they'll get it right. Prop accuracy isn't needed as long as they capture THE LOOK.
Great post.

Yet it looks fantastic asymmetrical and off-kilter in ANH. If you're just not a fan of that look in the movie, that's one thing, but actually wanting to idealize it so that it's inaccurate is another. I'm OK with some idealization of these characters (I think SSC's Bossk looks much better than what appeared on film) but Vader still looks amazing in ANH (even looking at stills, unlike a bit character like Bossk). There is no need to retcon his costume so it's more polished and symmetrical.

That said, I like what I've seen of HT's Vader so far, but no doubt I would prefer more fidelity to that iconic and thuggish/menacing appearance. I'd pay another $100.00+ if this were an exact 1:1 version, to be honest. I think that's why the figure is getting such a meh response.

Yeah given how much they idealized their ESB Luke (showing not even a hint of the scarring or warped features he had post-accident), it's probably not a surprise they would do the same thing with Vader. It's just a shame they couldn't recognize just how badass and impressive a much more faithful ANH Vader would look.

Whatever few customers they scared away by not making a shiny, idealized Vader, they would probably get back ten-fold by those who were thrilled to see a true representation of the menacing ANH Vader.

So now thats an easy pass. SS 2.0 looked like it was going for esb/rotj. This is supposed to be ANH? This helmet is waaay of. Looks more like rots. Would rather buy another SS version. Sadly sold one of my fully modded ANH for this.

So far hot toys doesn't deliver for me. Well back to sideshow itself for my star wars fix.

Best,

Robert

Yeah .... I still luv my SSC Deluxe Vader

Yep every thing the OT fans have praised it for over the last 30yrs ie: it's real world grittiness is being given a soap bath and polished up. Not necessarily bad just not OT Star Wars

You summed it up perfectly. This is one reason why I hated the prequals. Too much CGI and polished. I missed the rawness and grittyness of ANH when I saw it back in 1977. I will be happy with my SSC ANH Vader for now. This should have been bundled with Ben.

So what has been the best thing about this Hot Toys/Star Wars juncture for people so far?

I'd say other than the ambitious fur on Chewbacca and the Stormtroopers it's been pretty disappointing. I guess 1/4 Boba looks alright, but that seems like a pretty ho-hum release, mostly because of ROTJ and the scale. I REALLY want to see Farmboy/Death Star Luke but after seeing the likeness on Han, Ben and Chewie, I'm not too optimistic. Bespin Luke turned out alright I guess and the Sideshow Pilot Like (prototype) is amazing so I guess I should be a little confident about him.

Agreed. Chewie just out of surprise and ambition. HT made a big statement when they revealed him and have so far not lived up to it with the portraits they're dishing.

The Stormtroopers are great but we've been due for a v2 on those for a long time and they were expected.

Everything else has been an easy pass and honestly that's a big relief. I was dreading the HT Star Wars line and what it would do to my wallet. Was.

I think a lot of people will say Chewie. Never would have thought to see any company tackle him in 1/6 scale fur and all.

So what has been the best thing about this Hot Toys/Star Wars juncture for people so far?

I'd say other than the ambitious fur on Chewbacca and the Stormtroopers it's been pretty disappointing. I guess 1/4 Boba looks alright, but that seems like a pretty ho-hum release, mostly because of ROTJ and the scale. I REALLY want to see Farmboy/Death Star Luke but after seeing the likeness on Han, Ben and Chewie, I'm not too optimistic. Bespin Luke turned out alright I guess and the Sideshow Pilot Like (prototype) is amazing so I guess I should be a little confident about him.

Chewbacca. I have been really disappointed in the human figures especially, 'cause I walked into this line with my knickers around my ankles. I'll be handing over hundreds upon hundreds of dollars for figures that are acceptable to me, but leave me well short of the giddiness I'd hoped for. If the Solo and Obi Wan sculpts are tweaked we'll all be really happy, but I'm too cynical to believe that HT gives too much of a crap about this license. Case in point - they couldn't even be arsed getting Vader's height right.

I'm not really that interested in 1/6th. I was thinking about it, but decided against it. However I think the 1/4th Fett looks AMAZING and am looking forward to it very much :)

So much hate haha. I think it's not perfect but still looks grate!

This looks absolutely great!

This looks positively terrible.

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl Maybe it's just the customizer in me that's seeing a pretty accurate facemask I can use that has me sort of liking this figure.

(I think SSC's Bossk looks much better than what appeared on film)

Ignore list.:lecture:lol

Just like that of an accurate likeness on a human character the OT Star Wars helmets and armor has the same asymmetric idiosyncrasies of a human character and without those, they just don't look right. Sure, they can go slightly idealized and not incorporate all the dings and scratches, but going too idealized and it will never look right. The Marmit wasn't exact to screen used, but it was the amount of idealized that you should get with a high end sculpt - anything more and you are not capturing the character. Any idealizing attempts that has been done to full scale helmets never turned out that great and it always took away from the look and feel of the character - it removed what was so fantastic with the original sculpt.

Once they stop treating it as a machined design and attack it from a human likeness standpoint, they'll get it right. Prop accuracy isn't needed as long as they capture THE LOOK.

Shut your pie-hole and finish your ****ing 1/6 Vader head so I can buy it (and same goes for your ****ing ANH stromie head.):lecture:lecture:lecture

Back