1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overall, I'm still pretty excited. I have everything HT on order, aside from the Shadow Trooper. I have issues with all of them save the Stormtroopers. Everything else is "the best to date". At the same time, I think on display I will be happy with these versions. If they tweak them, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape. Either this is the best HT figured they could do before the new trilogy comes out or LFL has some sort of mandate about the figures not matching the actor exactly (and I have heard this long before I got into SSC/HT stuff), which in the end I'll live with. This is the stuff I used to dream about as a kid and now I'm lucky enough to be able to get it, even if it's not as definitive as I'd like.

$400 shipped buying from a local in Australia. That's one expensive 1/6 figure.

Makes Jake Sully seem like a bargain now when I look back at what I paid for him at home.

The Sideshow Vader is about $450 buying locally in New Zealand... so I guess this will be about $500.... Nathan Drake by comparison is $299 (although I ordered him from Sideshow for quite a bit less)

Well you partially right. I have to say that 'not so old' ben does not surpass SS effort. That sculpt has life to it. Ht effort has better skintones etc, but that is ben from before epiv.

Overall, I'm still pretty excited. I have everything HT on order, aside from the Shadow Trooper. I have issues with all of them save the Stormtroopers. Everything else is "the best to date". At the same time, I think on display I will be happy with these versions. If they tweak them, I'd be grateful. Otherwise, I'm not going to get too bent out of shape. Either this is the best HT figured they could do before the new trilogy comes out or LFL has some sort of mandate about the figures not matching the actor exactly (and I have heard this long before I got into SSC/HT stuff), which in the end I'll live with. This is the stuff I used to dream about as a kid and now I'm lucky enough to be able to get it, even if it's not as definitive as I'd like.

Best,

Robert

Precisely.

I don't want a bent out of shape Vader, accurate or not, that looks goofy. Obviously, it was not Lucas' or any costume designer's intent to make Vader's armor look cobbled together. I'm okay with the calls for a bigger chest box and and shorter height, but trying to make it look off-kilter and beat up. . . that's not gonna fly.
This is the helmet the line drawings were drawn from. It came from the same mold that later made the eFX helmets. Are you still saying you wouldn't want that?

Darth Vader Helmet - DJ - ANH - 006.jpg

Surely Hot Toys will add weathering similar to their shadow troopers armour, to the ANH Vader?

10882386_1573237652911345_5727743429477884079_n.jpg

Oh, the saber is going to mostly suck, guaranteed - the lighting effect is sure to be laughable if they maintain the base-mounted LED as advertised. The hilt, though it looks nice enough, already looks like it's the wrong size and proportion. The Bespin Luke hilt also looks nice with similar size/proportion issues. The only company to put decent sabers into production is Sideshow with some of the 1/4 PF releases - they do pretty much the same thing I do with CCFL bulbs.

I'm pleased to hear there will be sound built in, as this guarantees a circuit board and resistors for the light-up effects if they're powered from the same set of batteries. Similar to how the remote control feature in the armory totally saved the LED wiring in that product. This also makes it much easier and much safer to replace the batteries with a DC power supply. If the sounds were triggered by a remote that would be ideal - having to press a button on the figure would be somewhat lame for a collectible (looking at Sideshow here too for the Probe Droid and lights on R2).

Yeah the led for the lightsaber is going to suck pretty bad. Its clearly false advertising with the lightsaber effect they have going on in the promo pics because no led no matter how powerful can light up a lightsaber tube like that.

Good thing is the shape of the blade looks to be pretty much the same as non light up ones. At least, it won't look oversized next to older sabers. That's what bothered me the most with Sideshow DX Vader and TPM Obi-Wan.

They've totally missed the mark with this ANH Vader's silhouette. The helmet should look BIG because it is big. The shoulders should be narrower, the height is wrong which is why the chest box, belt and codpiece are not pushed together as they should be (not to mention the chest box being undersized). Prowse was not Mayhew sized so why do all these companies keep giving us a grossly oversized figure???

They continue to mess up the proportions of these figures. Their ANH Han Solo is on completely the wrong body type which doesn't resemble Harrison Ford's build from the movie.

I'll wait and see what their 1/4 scale Vader looks like but I certainly won't be picking this one up.

I still prefer my modded Sideshow version (even without the widows peak on the dome) and wish that I'd kept it because the proportions look a lot better to my eyes!

cking-Custom-Sideshow-ANH-Vader_zpsef263b5f.jpg

Last edited:
Hot Toys tweaks most of their figures. I don't understand the panty bunching. (especially the recent ones ASM1/2) CR Supes looked way different than the proto do i need to go on? If tweaks are what you're worried about you need not worry. Howard loves SW relax.. Some of you nerds got so much estrogen flowing around here i wanna put on a dress. (The only thing people should be bitching about around here are the prices....And SS's still crappy production results) HT IS PRETTY GOD DAMN GOOD!

****s sake. I'm starting to ****ing hate this place.
Sorry Os.. I gotta agree with the skeptists to some degree. This proto really looks nothing like 1977 Vader at this point. That's gonna be a helluva lot of tweaking.

Thing is, I still like the figure as is so.. ehh, I don't know yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Os.. I gotta agree with the skeptists to some degree. This proto really looks nothing like 1977 Vader at this point. That's gonna be a helluva lot of tweaking.

Thing is, I still like the figure as is so.. ehh, I don't know yet.

Exactly. It's more worrying in this instance too because I bet my bollocks to a barn dance HT have been told to do this stylized version.

Hot Toys tweaks most of their figures.

It is extremely rare for Hot toys to change anything on a figure once a purchase order goes live, especially the sculpt. Sometimes when people think a sculpt has changed (Bespin Luke), they are mistaken. Sometimes sculpts can change for the worse (much much worse - Alice).

Morals:

1. Be careful what you wish for
2. Expect to have in hand something pretty close to what you've already seen

Back