1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now that is a '77 Darth. Great looking figure.

That and these (modded and owned by fellow freaks on here) is how it's done.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Exactly. It's more worrying in this instance too because I bet my bollocks to a barn dance HT have been told to do this stylized version.

:lecture I wonder if Lucas / Disney (whoever is determining licensing rights) is attempting to erase the inconsistent appearance of Vader throughout the film and mandated it look like x. Too me it looks like Vader but it is obvious with all the complaints folks who study the suit have a different opinion.

I skim the post since most tend to be negative however, I recall reading both SS and HT both messed up the look. It isn't a face sculpt, it is a helmet which I find hard to believe unless 1) it was suggested to both co. to use x sculpt or 2) it looked so different throughout the film each company settled on their interpretation and called it a day.

Either way, I am disappointed in the scale. I avoided SS because of the shear size (height / bulk) but looks like height will be an issue either way. I need good side by side pics to determine bulk to decide whether I'll purchase.

That one with the tunic under the shoulder armor was the user forgetting to put it over the armor when they took the picture. Still looks great, look at the head and pose.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...how-1-6-anh-darth-vader-photo-thread-182.html

You can go throughout that entire thread and find a bunch of Darth Vaders that were out together with passion and look better because of it.

Wow, that link takes me back, goes to show how the awe of the initial moment can cloud your judgment.

As soon as I have pictures of HIM, I will :)

Dude, I'm a little misty eyed, this thing is incredible, EVERY bit worth everyone's wait, and he has the tightest joints of any new Sideshow body, Hot Toys TT quality tightness. The dome looks great, those few photos where it was a question mark are a false perception. This thing is every bit worth the wait we've all endured since the start of the line. Another big thing that was a point of worry for many, myself included, the cape very nicely drapes over the fronts of his shoulders leaving just a gap to show the middle of his chest armor and his breathing box.

I can't even bring myself to photo him just yet, I need a few moments to savor this.

Granted, I would still argue the dome/helmet looked better than the photos that were scaring everyone led us to believe, but there was certainly room from improvement and the cape too. I was definitely riding the high of finally getting a quality 1/6 Vader, not Hasbro level.

Perfect or not, this HT Vader is to a level I'm happy with for straight out of the box, something Sideshow couldn't impress upon me. I know an ESB and ROTJ version are innevitable with the way HT is, but I would love to add a Hot Toys Vader to my collection.

After some soul searching, I've decided to cancel my preorder at BBTS. This is just not the faithful recreation of the ANH style Vader as I had hoped. Figured this would top the Marmit prototype and it does not. I'll wait for ANH Vader 2.0 or if this guys is discounted down the road. For $300, he's gotta look dead on accurate to me.

I do think the figure looks pretty good, but I don't think it should be labeled as ANH Vader. I agree it is just an idealized version of how Vader would look all primped and pretty. I do not think it is in any way a step above Sideshow's (I do think the breathing feature and light-up Saber is cool although unnecessary). If the price wasn't $300, but closer to $250 I may have been more inclined to pre-order. The NRD at Sideshow at times makes it difficult to impulsively buy without seeing final pics, comparisons to other/previous releases. This is not a new never before released character, or missed opportunity for new collectors (missed out on previous releases and not wanting to pay after market prices). Sideshow's deluxe is still available for $50 less and has way cooler accessories. Compare it to HT's Chewbacca who is a never before released haired body (please don't compare it to hasbro's which I own!! lol) at a much lower price which required a newly tooled body and design to make the hair look great. To me for fans THAT would be a must buy, not this Vader. I own nearly every 1/6 depiction of Vader and just don't feel the need to have this. I'm sure I'll cave and eventually buy it once it's released (as I can't have a hole in my Vader collection :cuckoo:), once I've seen in hand comparisons and it is coupon eligible. I'm sure they're making plenty so I doubt it will sell out especially with no exclusive and no worries on missing out on any added item. Sideshow has come a long way since it's 1st foray with Jedi Luke (which I own) to where they're quality is on par with Hot Toys. Every figure I've bought is the exclusive (except maybe 2 I think), since you get something additional for the same price, it at least makes you feel like you got a little something extra whether I liked it or not. My only real gripe are the price points these are starting to hit from both companies. They are pricing A LOT of collectors out of the hobby, and once that happens everyone suffers. I collect both Marvel/DC and Star Wars as well as used to buy statues and busts. Just can't do it anymore. Have to be way more picky... I was really looking forward to HT's Hulkbuster armor from Avengers AOU, but I highly doubt that's gonna happen.

Hummm..... new years code works for Deluxe Vader.... $20 less. That might just seal the deal for me.

(Edited from above post)
attachment.php

:monkey2Gosh Darn dats beautiful. (G rated per mods instruction)

(Edited from above post)
attachment.php

:monkey2Gosh Darn dats beautiful. (G rated per mods instruction)
tumblr_na7w5u50Uo1t9x9ito2_400.gif

Why hasn't anyone done a run of an accurate ANH helmet? That figure is what I'd expect Hot Toys to be able to achieve. Looks damn good.

This is the helmet the line drawings were drawn from. It came from the same mold that later made the eFX helmets. Are you still saying you wouldn't want that?

I would prefer a dome that wasn't crooked. . . that looks like an assembly error to me.

I look at people complain that their Superman logo is slightly off center or their 66 Batman logo is crooked, and talk about how HT has poor QC because of these issues, and then I come into this thread and people are saying "It's not crooked, HT sucks." It feels like complaining just to keep the conversation going. Like I said before, it feels obvious to me that it wasn't supposed to be crooked, it was only because of the cobbled-together nature of the production that the mask ended up looking like this.

I mean, on the assembly line, I can't imagine trying to communicate to the factory workers that you're supposed to glue the dome on slightly crooked. In a situation like that, you're going to get variances in either direction, some are going to be too far off, and look too crooked, or some will be glued on straight. It just seems like a safer proposition overall, to make sure the dome is on straight.

But this eFX helmet I think is a different beast altogether, you're paying for an $1000 prop replica, so you expect it to be a replica of the actual prop. This figure is not a prop replica, so I don't want or need it to have those idiosyncrasies in the helmet

So far,I'm not seeing anything to make me turn in my modded SSC Ep.4 Vader or my Custom...PS

So what has been the best thing about this Hot Toys/Star Wars juncture for people so far?

I'd say other than the ambitious fur on Chewbacca and the Stormtroopers it's been pretty disappointing. I guess 1/4 Boba looks alright, but that seems like a pretty ho-hum release, mostly because of ROTJ and the scale. I REALLY want to see Farmboy/Death Star Luke but after seeing the likeness on Han, Ben and Chewie, I'm not too optimistic. Bespin Luke turned out alright I guess and the Sideshow Pilot Like (prototype) is amazing so I guess I should be a little confident about him.

Honestly I'm more excited by the offerings by SS so far than by anything from HT. The Hoth Han and Luke, the Tauntaun, the Boba Fett PF, the X-wing Luke, the R2 and 3PO, and even the Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike.

Even if they may all have their issues, they're at least not as immediately disappointing as the HT offerings have been so far. And they're the only figures I find myself seriously tempted to get right now.

And ultimately it's a lot easier to get excited about something that at least looks cool now, instead of something that might hopefully look better in-hand down the line, after it's been maybe/possibly/hopefully "reworked".

So far,I'm not seeing anything to make me turn in my modded SSC Ep.4 Vader or my Custom...PS

Im sure this is more for people that didnt take the plunge with the ssc one. If you already have that one theres no need to get rid of it. Its a high quality vader figure as it is.

I would prefer a dome that wasn't crooked. . . that looks like an assembly error to me.

I look at people complain that their Superman logo is slightly off center or their 66 Batman logo is crooked, and talk about how HT has poor QC because of these issues, and then I come into this thread and people are saying "It's not crooked, HT sucks." It feels like complaining just to keep the conversation going. Like I said before, it feels obvious to me that it wasn't supposed to be crooked, it was only because of the cobbled-together nature of the production that the mask ended up looking like this.

I mean, on the assembly line, I can't imagine trying to communicate to the factory workers that you're supposed to glue the dome on slightly crooked. In a situation like that, you're going to get variances in either direction, some are going to be too far off, and look too crooked, or some will be glued on straight. It just seems like a safer proposition overall, to make sure the dome is on straight.

But this eFX helmet I think is a different beast altogether, you're paying for an $1000 prop replica, so you expect it to be a replica of the actual prop. This figure is not a prop replica, so I don't want or need it to have those idiosyncrasies in the helmet
So, when you watch the movie, do you like Vader's appearance or do you wish the helmet wasn't crooked and the mask symetrical? (And in regards to your dome example, I'm sure it would be molded to only fit one way, so there wouldn't be any room for interpretation on part of the person assembling them.) I don't understand how you can think the critiques are complaining for complaining's sake. Fans liked the ANH look and want fidelity to that look from the figure. What's difficult to comprehend about that?

So, when you watch the movie, do you like Vader's appearance or do you wish the helmet wasn't crooked and the mask symetrical? (And in regards to your dome example, I'm sure it would be molded to only fit one way, so there wouldn't be any room for interpretation on part of the person assembling them.) I don't understand how you can think the critiques are complaining for complaining's sake. Fans liked the ANH look and want fidelity to that look from the figure. What's difficult to comprehend about that?

I think the heightened complaining for the ANH look comes from the fact that Sideshow already made an ANH Vader that many deemed to be inaccurate. I think the hope among many that this would be an improvement over the past efforts instead of bringing back some old issues. I also think people expect a level of accuracy that is not possible on a mass produced scale.

Back