Hot Toys - Iron Man 2: Black Widow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent some time futzing with Black Widow yesterday, and also painted the widow symbol on her belt. With the great weather we've been having, I thought it would be good to get some pix.

BlackWidow14.jpg

Awesome pics, dude! :rock :rock :rock
Can't wait to see the new Widow!

I spent some time futzing with Black Widow yesterday, and also painted the widow symbol on her belt. With the great weather we've been having, I thought it would be good to get some pix.

BlackWidow14.jpg

Nice pose. one suggestion - you should move the left foot forward instead of right. Its much more natural that way than to be aiming with the right arm/hand and have the right foot forward as well. Try doing this pose yourself and you might see what I mean (or not :lol) :)

I was going for a walking pose, but I see what you mean.

Thanks for the complements on the poses. The real trick to this figure is moving the belts as far down on her abdomen as you can. I had to break the glue on the belt to do it (which left a little residue on the suit) but the top belt is meant to hide the seam in her costume, but I don't think it is really that noticable, especially with the zipper down. I'm trying to find something that will remove the glue residue from the suit without damaging it. I tried some Goo Gone yesterday, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Also, positioning one of her hips higher than the other also helps the pose quite a bit.

I Have to ask.

How are people getting the collar and neck areas of the suit under control ?. On mine her ample chest have made it all straight and the front part under her chin is almost hiding it.

I would love to have the collar spread out like in the current Avengers cartoon.

O, and I am jealous of everyone that has her hair in great styles. hair for mine was all crappy from stage one and no matter what work or products I put in it was still a car crash. Ended up having to straighten it out.

^Each costume will differ to a certain degree (each is unique).. so luck of draw, as with every costume figure requiring tailoring..

True, I am close to getting a new one of the feebay as mine is very wrinkled besides the issues listed.

I have taken the plastic from behind her ample and welcoming chest to help it but I need to some how get the collar area back. Zipped all the way up or all the way down and everything in between looks very off to me.
I have tried hair bands for days to try to bend it back but it seems the body portion of the suit is extra strong.

Its agonizing as this really is a great figure if posed right.

I finally got around to "styling" Black Widow's hair yesterday and it was easier than I expected. All I did was pop the head off, soak the hair in cold tap water, then used one of my daughters combs to untangle all the hair. I was surprised by the amount of "product" that was left on the comb. I then reattached the head and positioned the hair the way I wanted and just left it to air dry. This morning, I checked, and the hair was completely dry, still in the position I left it, and had that crunchy feeling of hair with a styling gel in it.

I'm pretty happy with the results, it definitely took care of the 'fro she was developing...

Before:

IMAG0112.jpg

After:

IMAG0218.jpg

God I hope they get a better likeness in the upcoming version. I've yet to see a good female figure from Hot Toys. How the hell can they get the male likeness down, but not the females.

I dunno. Silk Spectres likeness looked dead on to me (even if her outfit was a little baggy).

God I hope they get a better likeness in the upcoming version. I've yet to see a good female figure from Hot Toys. How the hell can they get the male likeness down, but not the females.

Easy. Females are built different than males. Totally different scupting process I imagine.

Spectre is just a bad figure.

I'd agree from the neck down. The body they used was way too skinny and the tailoring of her outfit made it look really baggy. The headsculpt (Malin Akerman's likeness) and rooted hair wasn't bad at all (although some collectors have said it was a little doll like). It wasn't a figure that you'd have to mess with the hair like BW V1 to get right.

The sculpt always looked too masculine for me. Akerman was much more feminine than that. It's like they based the sculpt off of one of the promo shots where the strong shadows made her face look that way.

Easy. Females are built different than males. Totally different scupting process I imagine.

The sculpting process is not any different, our heads may differ in features, but men and women are not that different.

As a woman who would love to see more female characters in this hobby, I have actually thought about this issue a great deal. It comes down to a few issues:

1. Not giving women's skin enough texture leading to doll smooth faces, leading to recognisable but unrealistic likenesses. This figure being a perfect example thereof.

2. On a similar note, artists tend to soften the lines on female head sculpts too much. The artists here that do women well Snyderman (actually his wife Joy), Trevor, Denny Kim and whoever sculpted Juliet Burke (not to leave anyone out, but those come to mind), all maintained the same level of sharpness in their female sculpts as on male characters, to great end results.

3. Overall poor attention to overall head shape and prominence of features. See HT's Silk Spectre. That is just sheer artistic failure.

I think this figure is their best attempt at a female character. Still not loving the expression though.

IMG_3240.jpg

Back