Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

I hope he comes with sith-eyes... oh wait.

There are facets to Maul, subtle, but they're there, in some moments, his face is almost relaxed but the combo of his tattoos and the contacts cast a burning intensity upon his face, which is what I feel Sideshow nailed, other moments, he was being expressive with his face as part of the heat of battle.

SIDESHOW MAUL

latest

HOT TOYS MAUL

52677848-c4d8-4e5c-9d6d-462e73f201b2-screen-shot-2018-05-18-at-123743-pm.png

Depending on how you hold Maul in your fandom mind, one or the other will likely speak more to your tastes. I personally enjoy the Sideshow route more, I enjoy the moments where Maul seems cold and holding his hate inside where only his eyes really show it to be the best moments as a character. I don't feel HT's sculpt is inferior to Sideshow, just not my cup of tea and with HT's abilities, I would have expected a portrait to build upon all the good qualities Sideshow already captured, but so far, it only looks like the same techniques Sideshow employed being used on a different expression of sculpt.
That image really does show you how even the character itself can keep the figures from being entirely accurate. You would need multiple versions of the character for that. Makeup artists can only do so much.

LOL this will own the SS version.
No it won’t. Don’t delude yourself. When people—who couldn’t care less about Sideshow as a company and have no loyalty to them, at all—continually state that the SSC v2 Darth Maul is one of the best figures they’ve ever produced, they aren’t lying. It looks better than some of the statues they’ve done.

Sure, it doesn’t include the cloak and that has always sucked ass. Sideshow was cheap and pathetic for not including it. For one, he wears that almost the entire film and even started the final battle with the damn thing on.

Another thing to note, no more bent lightsabers with the HT version. My SS Maul had the most crooked looking saber :lol
I never had this issue with the v2 Maul. I actually don’t think any of my SSC lightsabers were ever bent, outside of the initial Darth Maul they produced, which was one of my first 1/6 figures.

ITT People who bought the Sideshow version trying to defend it and say it's better so they don't feel bad about their purchase :monkey3
People are defending it because it deserves to be recognized as one of the greater 1/6 figures that a Star Wars fan can own, Sideshow factory QC issues aside. We all know Hot Toys has had their fair share of QC problems and they get **** on for it, and rightfully so. However, when you get a good v2 Sideshow Darth Maul... it is good.

Too many people dickride Hot Toys. Yeah, in most cases, they destroy the competition. But not always. This is definitely one of those exceptions.

lol! Not sure what ITT means, but it's more like trying to convince ourselves not to drop the extra cash on another Maul (when most of us still will in the end).

The details are obviously going to be better on the HT, no doubt. But there is merit to what Maulfan is saying about the expression. I too prefer the "silent rage" thing the SSC has going over the straight up aggressive anger thing HT's has going on. But hey, maybe HT will include both expressions across two headsculpts? I know I hope they do.
I already convinced myself after the first few hours. :lol

Sadly, I will end up getting Jango. They “seem” to have really nailed him finally. Only took three different companies.

It’s releases like this that will kill so many of SSC's 1/6 figs going forward. People jump on the SSC version, only to see HT do the same character a year or so later. You can see that thinking is already hurting figs like the Snowtrooper Commander - a very solid figure that nonetheless could (and possibly will) be topped when HT presuambly releases their proto seen a couple of years ago.

The SSC Maul was really well done, but this one seems - at least in proto - to be another notch better though. The sculpt detail, robes, the paint, all seem a bit better. And then there's the price - Sideshow's figures should aim for a sub-HT level, not at or above, especially for figures that are often second best. People don't like paying more for something that's second best.

Not sure if this has been covered, but I wonder if this will come with the hooded robe if it's DX.
I have to agree with this. The mythos figures will still do pretty well, but the standard traditional character designs are going to be hard to sell from this point forward.

Why would you get the Sideshow versions of these characters now? We know that Hot Toys has the drive to do as many Star Wars figures as they can churn out. The cat’s out of the bag. And Star Wars, Marvel and DC are making them a ton of money. So, that’s unlikely to change for a long time to come.

Yeah this pretty much kills off any reason to buy sideshow 1/6 anymore as clearly there is no gentleman's agreement to not double up on figures. Sideshow Maul looks like one of their best figures and still it will be easily toppled. Can't wait to see a HT Jabba next SDCC!

And DX Maul will have a robe, you have the TurdFurgusonsHat guarantee!
I’d like to think Hot Toys wouldn’t be that stupid, not to include the robe. :lol

Granted, they won’t pre-prep the goddamn thing and bleed the excess dye, before it’s shipped across the pond.

Against my better judgement I purchased the SSC Maul on the back of the praise the headsculpt garnered here. I then sold it 6 weeks later and thank god I did.

The likeness was amazing but it has a lifeless expression. That combined with the price, absolutely PITIFUL amount of accessories and the **** raggedy anne floppy body ( that I got on my mine anyway ) really left me scratching my head as to why it was so popular.
Never had an issue with the body. It isn’t as tight as the joints on a Hot Toys though, I will say that much.

Apologies if these have been posted, but here are a couple nice shots from IG

3cRYc8D.jpg

Credit: EyeofUatu

0BsYNki.jpg

Credit: EyeofUatu
Looks better, but still off. Might be the eye placement and the brows. Also the upper part of the mouth. Can’t wait to see the official product page images though.

Here's some more pics from JC Hong. Looks like PERS eyes.

One has neck the other doesn't ?? Not sure how that works ? Maybe it is just a neck for testing headsculpts ?

IMG_5381.jpg

IMG_5380.jpg

IMG_5379.jpg

IMG_5378.jpg

PERS eyes ??

IMG_5382.jpg

JC Hong just parted new photos on IG/FB, Maul does indeed come with moveable eyes! I think that pushes me over the edge in needing to get this.

There are facets to Maul, subtle, but they're there, in some moments, his face is almost relaxed but the combo of his tattoos and the contacts cast a burning intensity upon his face, which is what I feel Sideshow nailed, other moments, he was being expressive with his face as part of the heat of battle.

SIDESHOW MAUL

latest

The main issue with the SSC (which is often the issue I have with some HT headsculpts) is it looks like Maul's driver's license photo. I know what you mean about the "brood" moments though.

I do think people are sometimes uncomfortable admitting that SSC nailed a figure in the context of the HT discussion. There is a sense that HT can do no wrong when in reality they do quite a bit of stuff wrong, it's just more often they do nail it. The Leia Bespin is just the latest example, and the even better thing about HT vs SSC is that the proto is pretty damn close to what you actually get - SSC not so much.

The mythos figures will still do pretty well, but the standard traditional character designs are going to be hard to sell from this point forward.

Why would you get the Sideshow versions of these characters now? We know that Hot Toys has the drive to do as many Star Wars figures as they can churn out. The cat’s out of the bag. And Star Wars, Marvel and DC are making them a ton of money. So, that’s unlikely to change for a long time to come.

Is Mythos something Sideshow created, or is it a part of the license that is exclusive them? I never paid much attention to it until the Fett 1/6 popped up.

JC Hong just parted new photos on IG/FB, Maul does indeed come with moveable eyes! I think that pushes me over the edge in needing to get this.

Wow. Pretty cool. He's definitely a fig that PERS would work nicely for.

Have they done many PERS figures in the last year or two? I remember it being a big deal on Luke Bespin and the POTC figures, but I thought it sort of faded away.

PERS on this is gonna be killer: black eyelids means no creepy sunken eyes effect, sith eyes are super clean.

Inviato dal mio WAS-LX1 utilizzando Tapatalk

Perfect figure to include movable eyes with. I'm not a fan of those convention pictures, but this made me change my mind.

attachment.php

The engraved tattoos are a weird design choice though. Hopefully his head is held on magnetically so there's no ugly PERS panel on the back of his head.

Have they done many PERS figures in the last year or two? I remember it being a big deal on Luke Bespin and the POTC figures, but I thought it sort of faded away.

Hulk Ragnarok

The main issue with the SSC (which is often the issue I have with some HT headsculpts) is it looks like Maul's driver's license photo. I know what you mean about the "brood" moments though.

I do think people are sometimes uncomfortable admitting that SSC nailed a figure in the context of the HT discussion. There is a sense that HT can do no wrong when in reality they do quite a bit of stuff wrong, it's just more often they do nail it. The Leia Bespin is just the latest example, and the even better thing about HT vs SSC is that the proto is pretty damn close to what you actually get - SSC not so much.

Is Mythos something Sideshow created, or is it a part of the license that is exclusive them? I never paid much attention to it until the Fett 1/6 popped up.

Wow. Pretty cool. He's definitely a fig that PERS would work nicely for.

I don’t really know. I’d imagine they’re doing it because they know, for right now, they can get more sales from these “variants.” Hot Toys is the big dog and they’re knocking out all of the figures people have been wanting for years.

I have to give Hot Toys props on the horns. Wow. Just... wow. Pers seems odd, but that would definitely make this a DX now. Still something not right about his mouth. That and this being a DX are what will keep me at bay. At least my wallet is happy. :lol

That 99.99% confirms it. Pers = DX

Perfect figure to include movable eyes with. I'm not a fan of those convention pictures, but this made me change my mind.

attachment.php

The engraved tattoos are a weird design choice though. Hopefully his head is held on magnetically so there's no ugly PERS panel on the back of his head.

Maybe the PERS eyes are accessible from below (ie joint to the neck). Even with a small special tool it could work.

This is DX baby ! Wonder what else they'll add ? Surely the cloak.

Guess I’ll end up with two Mauls... I still have never bought a DX figure, as the DX07 is out of reach, so I’ll need to get this.

There may be a bit of hot toys bias but unfortunately SSC don't do themselves any favors.

I respectfully disagree with you when you say sideshow nailed Maul ( unless you were only referring to the headsculpts likeness ). The headsculpt was very nice but the package as a whole was bungled beyond belief. Like I said in my previous post it came with nothing but had an astronomical price tag on it.

This and Wick are HT's best this year. The rest is lacklustre Marvel Bordem.

I wonder why they opted to sculpt the face makeup in as opposed to just painting it.

I had decided to cool it with SW figures. I don’t think I’ll be able to pass on this set though. The speeder looks great.
And the head sculpt in those photos is seriously imposing. Must have this.

Gosh is it really that big of a deal? It doesn't hurt the sculpt at all, so I don't see what the issue is. Both SSC and HT have done a good job with this character imo.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back