Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What paint has everyone been using to repaint the heads? And how difficult would repainting moveable eyes be?

What paint has everyone been using to repaint the heads? And how difficult would repainting moveable eyes be?
I used games workshop paints, mixing different red tones across many layers.

As for the eyes, I've never repainted moveable HT eyes, but I did start the process of making my own. I've only primed them so far, but hopefully soonish I'll get around to painting them, then I'll report how it went.
I want to paint the eyes more similar to the SS ones (particularly to have smaller pupils).

This might seem misplaced in here, but I recently acquired an Ultimate Quarter Scale Darth Maul by Diamond Select Toys. Anyone else have one? I'm fighting back and forth about taking it out of the box or not... he still talks too

I used games workshop paints, mixing different red tones across many layers.

As for the eyes, I've never repainted moveable HT eyes, but I did start the process of making my own. I've only primed them so far, but hopefully soonish I'll get around to painting them, then I'll report how it went.
I want to paint the eyes more similar to the SS ones (particularly to have smaller pupils).
What’s different with the ones you’re making?

What’s different with the ones you’re making?

Here's a mock-up of what I'm trying to achieve. Left is the SS, middle my (repainted) HT, and on the right the mock-up.
Main changes are: tone down the shiny white sclera, increase iris size, decrease pupil size, and lighten the eyelids.
The HT eyes are too "human", while the repaint should give him that more ferocious animal look.

IMG_5096_5_eye edit3.jpg

Fantastic repaint, agonistes86!

Hot Toys is good but I still prefer that SS sculpt. It truly is the only reason that I skipped on the Hot Toys Maul figure. I did pick up his speeder and base, though.

This might seem misplaced in here, but I recently acquired an Ultimate Quarter Scale Darth Maul by Diamond Select Toys. Anyone else have one? I'm fighting back and forth about taking it out of the box or not... he still talks too
The Darth Mail Maul is the only UQS figure I’ve owned. I don’t anymore, but I had it for quite a long time. What are you wondering about it? If you decide to take it out of the box, consider the box a goner afterwards. Even opening it delicately will result in it being fairly trashed. You’ll also need a decent stand b/c he’s a bit clunky to to futz with

Last edited:
Fantastic repaint, agonistes86!

Hot Toys is good but I still prefer that SS sculpt. It truly is the only reason that I skipped on the Hot Toys Maul figure. I did pick up his speeder and base, though.
I think the TPM Maul sculpt is one of the most divisive (licensed) SW sculpts, where some prefer the HT, others the SS.
Until I got the HT in hand, I was convinced I'd prefer the SS sculpt as well. But after handling it, studying dozens of BTS and screenshots, and particularly after extending the neck and repainting the red, it's just no contest for me.
The one thing the SS version has going for it are the eyes. To be fair, that's a big deal, considering it's what most people tend to focus on first in a face. But the overall proportions, undersized scale and the paint all make it more of a caricatured version IMO.

Anyway, all this talk inspired me to finally continue on the new eyes!
I finished one eye today to see what it will look like, and if I got the sizing right. The gloss coat is still drying, so no shots inside the head yet. I might also have to increase his iris just a tiny bit, but it took me four tries to get it centered, so I'm reluctant to mess with it again.
I'm also quite afraid that the gloss will smear once I insert the eye in the head, since it might not dry to be completely hard and it takes a bit of force to insert the eyes into the sockets. So I hope these shots will not be the last. :lol

Left is stock HT, right is mine. It's obviously less "precise" compared to the HT, but compared to detailed shots of the actual contact lenses, I think it's quite a bit more accurate.
As I mentioned earlier, my goals were: darker sclera, larger iris, smaller pupils.
20230416_220601.jpg

And the actual eyes for reference:
Maul_eyes.jpg

The Darth Mail is the only UQS figure I’ve owned. I don’t anymore, but I had it for quite a long time. What are you wondering about it? If you decide to take it out of the box, consider the box a goner afterwards. Even opening it delicately will result in it being fairly trashed. You’ll also need a decent stand b/c he’s a bit clunky to to futz with
I was curious if it's possible to, considering I read that the bodies apparently broke kind of easy, if you can swap it out for a new body or if the clothes, feet, boots, sculpt won't transition over? And yeah, I read that about the box too. I got it brand new on ebay for $75 and I keep going back and forth about opening it for many reasons

Back