Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HT always goes a few shades darker then the figure should be. I remember opening up my first Jack Sparrow DX and thought "WOW he's dark"

HT DX Maul is great but I do wish the red was a a bit lighter as his head is lost in my display case/

Stealth version Maul. :lol

There?s flaws on both sides. Neither of which makes one figure terrible and the other perfect. SS is a bit on the skinny side and HT is a bit on the bulky side. Put them together and those flaws are amplified. SS has amazingly painted eyes and HT?s PERS adds so much life. Tit for Tat.

I can?t say either one is a walk off the screen representation but to my eye HT just looks more like a real person, simply more realistic overall. And the fit and finish of the clothes, gloves and body is just better than SS?s. Not SS Anakin to HT Anakin better but just better. I still think SS?s looks great. HT?s just looks more like an actual person proportionately and the PERS adds a whole different level.

View attachment 467017

View attachment 467018

View attachment 467019

Thank you for nice, clean comparison pics, I was contemplating getting the HT head and cobbling a neck for it to go on the Sideshow figure, but that seems clear to be a proportional mismatch. I think at this point, I either get HT Maul in entirety or just pass, not sure I can swing that though.

HT Maul looks awesome, is he perfect no but no hot toys figure is. He is highly worth the purchase, the EX is sort of worthless though but may as well pick it up if its still available. The speeder set on the other hand is not really worth it unless you just love speeders, cause the cloak sucks plus he already takes up enough space with his duel sabers extended and that big ass base. Posing him on the speeder works I guess, and if you want that go for it, but that's not how I want my maul displayed, he should be looking badass with arm extended in front of him and both sabers attached fully extended as he was when he first confronted obi and Qui gon after dropping the cloak to the ground. It just looks badass, and his sith undergarment has a natural windblown look to it, it curves perfectly from the wires that just makes the whole thing look complete. He just looks so badass on display the only issue is he barely fits in Stuva with other figures due to that ****ing huge base and extended sabers. My mauls sabers stick out a bit beyond the Stuva cause I got 2 troopers behind him.

Thank you for nice, clean comparison pics, I was contemplating getting the HT head and cobbling a neck for it to go on the Sideshow figure, but that seems clear to be a proportional mismatch. I think at this point, I either get HT Maul in entirety or just pass, not sure I can swing that though.

You’re welcome! If you can happen to find a deal on the DX16 and skip the speeder I think you’ll be happy. I’ve seen him go for as little as $230 recently. With as much as you like the character and figure photography I think you’d have a blast with this one.

I don?t know how they missed this. I thought the same thing with Jedi Luke. Still a cool effect but...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It?s possible they tried to make the positioning look right but with the focused LED it wouldn?t light up properly so they made the compromise to a fan shape. Maybe. Just speculating.

It might be possible to heat up the base of the fan blade and bend it into a more accurate position? I might try it.

You’re welcome! If you can happen to find a deal on the DX16 and skip the speeder I think you’ll be happy. I’ve seen him go for as little as $230 recently. With as much as you like the character and figure photography I think you’d have a blast with this one.

That’s what’s holding my interest, if it were a regular head with no PERS, I’d probably look at maybe a costume upgrade, but I was hoping to go the route of getting the PERS head for the options to enhance what I already have with the Sideshow, but for the cost I might as well have both, definitely no speeder unless that’s what’s out there when I can try to get this, I have the Hasbro and it’s enough.

The plus would be that the PERS head wouldn’t go to waste when I’m not doing photos, because Sideshow NAILED Maul’s intensity and you can appreciate it across a room, where as you say, the PERS head may look more lifelike, but the “flatness” of the portrait would diminish the visual impact looking over at him on display. My Sideshow one pops in his shelf and I wouldn’t remove that. I’ve actually seen some shots of HT in hood and it looks really nice, I’d probably do that to have his two looks and get most for my double character dip.

I must be crazy, but I?m not getting the complaints here. It looks like a dead ringer to me.

Its just people justifying spending money on dolls. Been going on since the beginning of time.... when Joe the Neanderthal considered trading his four ocean-smoothed stones for a stick man.

Your endless battle to convince yourself that you spend you money right is really funny [emoji38]
maybe having a little bit of respect for the people who have both figures, clearly describing their opinions on how they look in hand. Almost everyone agree that both are great figures with pros and cons...
View attachment 467024View attachment 467024

LMAO... endless battle to justify the decision of buying HT Maul =]], you're genuinely thought all this was about? Obviously I'm not the one who started this nonsensical comparison-term "SS Maul is far superior" in the first place. Oh wait, I remember now, apparently it was you who instigated this " subjective debate" from the beginning ever since folks here started to recieve early shipments of HT Maul.

LMAO... endless battle to justify the decision of buying HT Maul =]], you're genuinely thought all this was about? Obviously I'm not the one who started this nonsensical comparison-term "SS Maul is far superior" in the first place. Oh wait, I remember now, apparently it was you who instigated this " subjective debate" from the beginning ever since folks here started to recieve early shipments of HT Maul.

Haha was it? You also seem to lack memory. AND you?re clearly worried that you might not have spend your money on the ultimate Maul (sorry, but none of them are) - that?s why you?re so obsessed with the issue and cant let others enjoy what they like. Lol!
(Btw I?m getting both, just not arrived in Europe yet, so unlike you, I?ll be able to compare them in hand. But pretty sure it won?t make the SSC sculpt look bad.)

So, after months of deliberating and procrastinating which version to get (with or without the Speeder), I finally went ahead and ordered this guy. I decided to go non Speeder. As much as it would've been cool to have it (as I have the 3 3/4" Hasbro and the 6" S.H. Figuarts speeders) I don't have the space now (barely have space for Maul as it is) and just don't think I ever would've displayed it. Nor do I really feel it is worth an extra $123. I think it's something I can live without (but i'm sure one day I'll be annoyed with myself for not ordering it :mad:). And if I decide it would've made a cool background diorama, I do have the Hasbro 12" version.

Someone was kind enough to post their $20 off code in the SSC codes thread (thanks medicineman3). So with that and the last of my $75 in rewards (mostly saving for either this or the HT deluxe R2) I decided to stop waiting. I was hoping to wait till after next week's NYCC to see if SS gave out a few more RP codes, but since they only gave out $6 for SDCC, I doubt they would've done more for NYCC. So the $20 code was a better deal. Plus I didn't want to wait too long and miss out on the exclusive holo figure, as I'll stick him on the parted out light up table I bought from the deluxe EPI Obi-Wan along with Sidious and kneeling Anakin.

Looking forward to finally having a good 12" Darth Maul. I never opened up my SS v1 Maul. I think this will be a slight upgrade...:lol

Now hopefully I get a straight and not slightly warped lightsaber hilt...:(

HT didn't understand how these swoosh effects should be. Nice idea, poor execution.

Here's a shot from TPM. Kenobi's hilt and swoosh effect can be clearly seen. The swooshing part can not exceed the leading part of the saber which is always in line with the hilt.
My first drawing is how it is seen and should be produced.
Second drawing is how HT produces it like a fan.

View attachment 467023

Bandai gets it right:

lYoWZFO.jpg

Yup that looks much better, and is how the swooshing effect is often drawn in the SW comics as well. The HT version has always looked weird and off to me which is why I've yet to use them.

Did another mod to Maul today. I noticed his outer tunic lapels were spread too far apart and bunched up but when I tried to draw them together it wasn’t happening. I noticed HT had unnecessarily sewn them together with a single thread. Similar to the unnecessary threads used on Palps hood that hindered it from being futzed properly.

I snipped it loose and removed it so that I could pull his tunic more closed like in the film.

This pic shows it still in place on his right side and removed on his left.

E6F237BD-C71C-4B44-94FD-A02303EC6916.jpeg

Both sides pulled closed a bit more.

D18253EB-1963-40DF-81DA-BB31A76340A9.jpeg

Did another mod to Maul today. I noticed his outer tunic lapels were spread too far apart and bunched up but when I tried to draw them together it wasn?t happening. I noticed HT had unnecessarily sewn them together with a single thread. Similar to the unnecessary threads used on Palps hood that hindered it from being futzed properly.

I snipped it loose and removed it so that I could pull his tunic more closed like in the film.

This pic shows it still in place on his right side and removed on his left.

View attachment 467156

Both sides pulled closed a bit more.

View attachment 467157

Tunic looks great now!

Back