Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He looks awesome... but a little fat?

Like a chubby cosplayer trying to look hard, lol.
I’m sure it will pass muster for people who want it.
But it doesn’t look anything like Maul as portrayed by Ray park.
Thats not me trying to offend anyone. Just my own opinion.

I still think that's a combination of lens distortion and Failure To Futz. Remains to be seen.

I love the full body shots so far. I feel the neck could need a tiny bit of extending, similar to ROTJ Luke needed - unless futzing can simply remedy that. I'm still not sold on the sculpt though.
I was planning on just buying parts from this release on toyanxiety, but I noticed that I didn't spend much this month, so I'm probably going to treat myself and buy this one new. :)

I might still end up using the Sideshow sculpt, but perhaps I will try my hand at modifying the HT, similar to what I did on the ROTJ Emperor.
Now I'm starting to get pumped for this release. The only thing that bothers me with my current Maul is that I used a custom body - that I feel had a more accurate shape than stock - where the ankle pegs are not 100% tight. HT ankles are usually much stronger, which makes posing easier.

Fair point, but the whole set costs $400+ without shipping/tax. Unless you're filthy rich, that kind of commitment spent on these plastic dolly requires extremely tight affection with the film/character...you know just food for thought.

This hobby goes beyond the love of just a single film/character — appreciation of the franchise overall and the designs both obviously play a huge part with SW figures. I mean, there are people buying the Solo Patrol Trooper who is in the movie for half a second — and I can see why, it looks great.

But to your point, the $400 is indeed ridiculous for a character that I think is great from a film I do not think is great, so yeah I should just stick with the regular.

If anything this figure is better than TPM as it represents the best parts/scenes of the film. I don’t think of Jar Jar/little Ani when I look at Maul, etc.

The head is a tad too big, and if there is a fat suit, I'd imagine removal will make it look even bigger.

88d3f967b08c25f9c9b2cbd22a3b832c.jpg

Darth_Maul_3.jpg

The suit in the movie was very big. Like overly big, so they weren’t too far off on this. It jus doesn’t look right in some peoples heads. Me included. HT jus went too literal

The suit in the movie was very big. Like overly big, so they weren’t too far off on this. It jus doesn’t look right in some peoples heads. Me included. HT jus went too literal

One of my biggest problems with every 1/6 iteration of Maul, the costume is always tailored form fitting, I would have thought if anyone could have finally delivered a Maul figure that had the heft and drape of the movie costume, it would have been HT, they manage to find thin fabrics that keep scale but manage to look as heavy as full scale material, like Jedi Luke’s cloak and Darth Vader’s cape. For me the opening at the front of his robes hanging over his belt is part of the Maul look, and I’ve never been able to get a figure to capture that. Even the Jedi costumes were more loose in Episode 1 compared to 2 and 3.

I’m sure in hand, it will be awesome. Obi looked subpar in those early shots and he is a presence on the shelf. That speeder alone will look great on display. I never bought ss v2, so I’m looking forward to this. I can’t wait for real in hand reviews.

Yeah it was hard to sit through with all the chaos but good for them sharing the moment. Anyway, I know early reviews worst to judge figure but thus far like Naboo Maul head sculpt better. It won't deter me from picking this on up as well to make my own comparison.

Why does Darth Maul come with a hologram of himself?

The guy in the video didn't know the speeder bike's display also lights up? Just the rear green lights (which are out of focus). :lol

Why does Darth Maul come with a hologram of himself?

The guy in the video didn't know the speeder bike's display also lights up? Just the rear green lights (which are out of focus). :lol

so you can use it with other figs, like some guy who has unlimited power.

Back