Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HT has surprised us before, but enough time has passed since all the figure announcements that I just don't see it happening.
Yeah it's mega frustrating. Especially when they tease the Wild West version.

The last chance will really be when Doc and the other figures release. Perhaps HT think DeLorean sales would be higher for a high cost vehicle when collectors have paid off their Marty + Doc figures off and are getting them in hand. Rather than dumping figures and vechicle all at once and expecting collectors to pony up over $1000 in one hit. I'm sure many would balk at that, and potentially not buy anything.

It's what I'd do if I were Howard.

Also gives them time to re-tool anything if needed. eg Deluxe version with accessories for all 3 versions. Turnaround time would be a lot quicker if they were working on it in the meantime.

But sure that's only hopium, based on a bit of logical thinking.

Not sure if this info is going to be welcomed. But here goes.
I know a guy in the business side of this hobby and he told me the following:
HT put the original one up for PO and passed R&D onto a third party manufacturing company(They way they always do with anything they make), promising a certain amount of orders. The eventual orders they placed for the final product was less than half what they hoped to have ordered, and the company(Which incidentally did all the R&D, AND owns the moulds), vowed never to deal with HT again.
So if HT did re-release the Delorean, they'd have to start from scratch, as they have burned their bridges with the other place.
I'd certainly never say never myself, but my friend told me that story, and he works in the industry so, until HT put another Delorean up for PO, i'd be skepitcal it will ever happen.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation. I get the sense with these new figures that HT would probably love to release a new DeLorean as well (much like they did the Tumbler), but they just don't have the means to do so.

Either way, the real reason we are where we are right now is because HT bungled the sales of the Pt1 car by showing the Pt2 car simultaneously, making everyone and their mother holding off on pre-ordering back then.

Hmmm. The fact remains they showed a part III Delorean to help solicit the new figures. They had to know that would create major speculation and raise people's hopes.

Hmmm. The fact remains they showed a part III Delorean to help solicit the new figures. They had to know that would create major speculation and raise people's hopes.
Get peoples hopes up, sell more figures and get the figures in hand before people realize they are not getting the car.

Not sure if this info is going to be welcomed. But here goes.
I know a guy in the business side of this hobby and he told me the following:
HT put the original one up for PO and passed R&D onto a third party manufacturing company(They way they always do with anything they make), promising a certain amount of orders. The eventual orders they placed for the final product was less than half what they hoped to have ordered, and the company(Which incidentally did all the R&D, AND owns the moulds), vowed never to deal with HT again.
So if HT did re-release the Delorean, they'd have to start from scratch, as they have burned their bridges with the other place.
I'd certainly never say never myself, but my friend told me that story, and he works in the industry so, until HT put another Delorean up for PO, i'd be skepitcal it will ever happen.

Why would a factory continue production when the initial order doesn't meet their production requirement? Why wouldn't they just cancel production?

If that is true you'd think we'd at least get some very good no name DeLoreans, or I mean "DeCar Time Vehicles" in that case. I mean it's China.....

Frustrating. Especially now when Hot Toys has a lot more customers.

No doubt they will see how many recent BTTF figures are sold and then determine if a percentage (20% maybe ??) of that number who would buy a DeLorean is enough to cover a tool.

Pre orders where already done and Hot Toys has never cancled something that has gone up for order.

But it's not Hot Toys making it, so what does it matter? If I'm the factory and I need to produce 10,000 units to break even, and Hot Toys says "I only need 6,000" ... I'm going to say "Well then I'm not going to produce then".

At that point, the onus is on Hot Toys to bring the item to market. How is Hot Toys going to compel a manufacturer to produce something if it doesn't meet the minimums? That's my question.

But it's not Hot Toys making it, so what does it matter? If I'm the factory and I need to produce 10,000 units to break even, and Hot Toys says "I only need 6,000" ... I'm going to say "Well then I'm not going to produce then".

At that point, the onus is on Hot Toys to bring the item to market. How is Hot Toys going to compel a manufacturer to produce something if it doesn't meet the minimums? That's my question.
Tooling was done. Better to make back 60% of your money than zero

If that is true you'd think we'd at least get some very good no name DeLoreans, or I mean "DeCar Time Vehicles" in that case. I mean it's China.....
My source said they drilled the moulds and recycled them...
Which, if it's true is such a waste.
But as said above, it means they do retain a bit more value than some re-released stuff.
It might be they are making new moulds with someone else. Fingers crossed.

But as said above, it means they do retain a bit more value than some re-released stuff.
Definitely fingers crossed ! At least they have time to make it. And to be honest if they were even considering making different versions or a deluxe version with swap out pieces, they probably would have had to make changes to the tool anyway.

So fingers crossed for a new improved tool, with light up front console, and any other complaints with the first one. Not that they typically do that, but that's probably because a tool normally already exists.

Will just need to wait and see and remind them on FB.

I think they would have to see really high PO numbers on the figures before even considering making the car if sales were bad first time around.

Back