Hot Toys - Back to the Future - 1/6 DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would imagine the HT would get more sales by releasing a BTTF2 DeLorean as opposed to rereleasing the first one, as they would get both existing owners and collectors who missed out on the 1st one. However, they might just take the lazy route if the engineering is too much of a challenge. When they teased V2 a few years ago I was initially ticked because I’d already gotten the original, but then figured I’d just display the second version in flight mode. Unfortunately that never came to fruition.

It shouldn't be too hard really, the cars are pretty close to the same and as you say they already prototyped it. And true to form I'm sure HT would just make the obvious changes like Mr. Fusion and ignore the lesser known details.

But I think it's probably less than 50-50 they even make it again at all.

If they do the Delorean again, designing it so the plutonium chamber and a Mr Fusion unit are interchangeable would be a good idea.
The hover converted wheels should be relatively easy also.

I just don't see HT doing extra work so that customers can have both versions and only pay for one. This is the same company that packaged Einstein with Marty for **** sake.

That picture pushed me over the edge. If they release a DeLorean, its going to be tough to pass on the set...
Given the BTTF 2.0 figure prices, you do have to wonder what a Delorean re-release would cost. Original was around $700 from memory. I assume they'll add something small and call it an even $1,000.

Given the BTTF 2.0 figure prices, you do have to wonder what a Delorean re-release would cost. Original was around $700 from memory. I assume they'll add something small and call it an even $1,000.
Diecast license plate to justify the cost 🤦‍♂️

Yep, the original was about $690 plus shipping. What may be a good sign is that the re-release of the Tumbler is $630, if not mistaken. Hopefully the DeLorean is closer to $750 (or less...) Shipping would be another $50 making it $800. Tax would be another hit to the wallet.

You know, just the two figures is beginning to sound pretty good...

I really need all three characters (Marty, Doc + DeLorean). The car is probably more cult/recognisable than Marty or Doc tbh.

Some guy on FB reckoned it had leaked somewhere that HT were speaking with toolmakers for the DeLorean. I told him I'll believe it when I see it. But if they are re-tooling it then I guess they could incorporate folding wheels and add Mr Fusion.

They did a resculpt for Marty, and all those accessories etc for Doc. So why not a bit of D&D love for the DeLorean. Plus it'd enable them to sell more to a wider audience then at pretty minimal effort.

Knowing my luck they'll stick to the characters and that's it.

I think if this was going to be reissued it would have been announced with Doc and Marty.

I don’t think Hot Toys have ever announced a vehicle at a separate time to figures

I think if this was going to be reissued it would have been announced with Doc and Marty.

I don’t think Hot Toys have ever announced a vehicle at a separate time to figures
As someone mentioned, they could simply be gauging interest post figure release.

Either way, everyone needs to let them know by saying it on their FB page.

As said before, it could be a trap for me too...
IMO the BTTF line is coherent only the three pieces together. ( Marty+ Doc+Delorean)
I mean, displaying for example DX09+DX08+the Batmobile is awesome. But you can display just one figure alone and it’s already great and a beauty on it’s own.
Just a Marty or a Doc without his partner or the car is kind unbalanced.
I think it only works together.
Even if we don’t really realize that, the car is maybe the major character and makes the bridge between the two.

So for me it would be only the full set and as I’m in Europe you can easily add 20% extra taxes so it would drop the price to 1500 € and maybe more.
Ok the Delorean has always been the other vehicle that I would love to have in my collection after the 89 Batmobile BUT spend 1500 $ and more for a license and a movie I really like but I’m not a hard-fan...

DX09-DX08 and the Batmobile cost me about 950€. And it is my grail and my favorite movie/character.
Add 500€ more for a franchise I love but not absolutely fan...? Don’t know...
And in the same time, what a wonderful display it could be! And when we see the prices of the original car on the secondary market...

But as someone said on the « addiction thread », it’s a matter of what you want and what you really need in your collection.
Sometimes the frontier is narrow...

Last edited:
Getting all 3 figures is definitely something someone should think many times over instead of an impulse buy. The total I spent for Pt1 Marty, Pt II Doc and the Delorean was $785 but only because I found a good deal and I doubt I could ever afford these retail, let alone market prices.

Hmm..is preordering really gonna be the only way to get Marty? I normally just wait till TBA gets figures in stock. I see he's sold out of Marty pre-orders.

It's not clear how many Marty figures are being produced, but it does appear to be an exclusive to a handful of, presumably regional retailers. I didn't wait long to order from SSC because I feared it might be similar to some of those exclusive rehashes from the Marvel movies like classic Captain America from Winter Soldier that had low run sizes, and are almost ready to ship by the time the pre-order comes available (this appears to be the case based on the stated release date). But who knows? Maybe they are producing thousands and it will be in-stock and available for awhile.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hot Toys reissue a limited run of the DeLorean to scoop up those orders in an easy cash grab, then announce the BTTF2 DeLorean six or nine months later. Assuming the D1 is priced a little higher than the original at maybe $750-$800, I could see the D2 coming in at $850-$900 since there would be some additional development. That would also support a reissue of BTTF2 Marty and Doc (preferably with a different portrait).

I'm fine with a part 2 Delorean as long as it can be turned back into the part 1 look. If not it would be odd to make a part 2 Delorean to go with part 1 Doc and Marty.

I just hope they make it so the time circuits light up this time.

I initially thought it might be cost-prohibitive to redo something like this, but HT did reissue the Tumbler recently if memory serves. So, maybe? But if they were going to do it, it would make most sense to put it up for order at the same time as the figures.

Yeah I would have expected the DeLorean to be re-released looong before the Tumbler. And it would surely be a much bigger seller for them.

I'm guessing the only reason it hasn't been is either because the QC issues were too much of a headache the last time, or Howard just isn't a particularly big BTTF fan and would rather put those energies elsewhere.

Back