Hot Toys 1/6 Icon-M series, Leslie Cheung collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They take no risks in creating a small batch of Leslie Cheungs, knowing full well the average non-Asian probably would not buy it. I'm sure they are not completely dumb and would not be expecting us to buy it.

For sake of discussion, maybe it takes one of the their sculptors and fabricators probably what, 1 week of really dedicated time (lets say he/she didn't sleep or eat or shi_t for all intensive purposes) to create a decent Leslie headsculpt and to put together the suit and stuff. How the heck is this denting their resource pool or suggesting their marketing staff have all gone brain dead. How is this somehow causing Rorschach to be axed when Rorschach was probably axed because they wanted to make more Predators and Batmans and Ironmans and <insert every other release so far that has not been a Asian-specific release, aka what, 9 out of 10 releases)?

They aren't experts in Western culture (even though they were exposed to it alot historically speaking) so they would probably not realize the potential a Chuck Norris figure would have for example. So yeah, to some of your points, they SHOULD be taking more USA-based risk, but they are sitting well and bloated enough with getting all the big name liscenses and releases so far.

Last edited:
I agree with all you're points vareika :clap

While I have no interest in this figure (didn't even know who the guy was until I saw this thread), but I see no harm in this release what so ever. I was much more pleasantly surprised to see this than to see another Iron Man or Batman figure

Last edited:
They take no risks in creating a small batch of Leslie Cheungs, knowing full well the average non-Asian probably would not buy it. I'm sure they are not completely dumb and would not be expecting us to buy it.

For sake of discussion, maybe it takes one of the their sculptors and fabricators probably what, 1 week of really dedicated time (lets say he/she didn't sleep or eat or shi_t for all intensive purposes) to create a decent Leslie headsculpt and to put together the suit and stuff. How the heck is this denting their resource pool or suggesting their marketing staff have all gone brain dead. How is this somehow causing Rorschach to be axed when Rorschach was probably axed because they wanted to make more Predators and Batmans and Ironmans and <insert every other release so far that has not been a Asian-specific release, aka what, 9 out of 10 releases)?

Im guessing that the genesis for this figure basically involved a few of the Hot Toys staff discussing how they are fans of this guy and then throwing out the idea to make a figure of him.

Im not against this figure. In fact I really love the idea of Hot Toys taking smaller licenses and turning them into projects of passion. I guess I just wish that they would try this a couple times with an American franchise.

... I guess I just wish that they would try this a couple times with an American franchise.

Are the two comparable though? Like, this is a niche figure for Westerners, but by the sounds of it Leslie would not be considered niche in HT's home market. Can this really be compared to a license that we would considered niche? And of those, how many would be as cheap to manufacture as this 'guy in a suit'?

Plus there's the licensing issues that I don't know a whole lot about... for example as far as Icon-M series go, I don't know whether a John Wayne figure is plausible regarding use of his likeness - but I can't imagine a John Wayne figure not selling.

Im guessing that the genesis for this figure basically involved a few of the Hot Toys staff discussing how they are fans of this guy and then throwing out the idea to make a figure of him.

Im not against this figure. In fact I really love the idea of Hot Toys taking smaller licenses and turning them into projects of passion. I guess I just wish that they would try this a couple times with an American franchise.

:exactly: That I agree. I think it would be harder for them though, given they may not have the same cultural understanding and / or feeling towards some our desired figures.

Plus there's the licensing issues that I don't know a whole lot about... for example as far as Icon-M series go, I don't know whether a John Wayne figure is plausible regarding use of his likeness - but I can't imagine a John Wayne figure not selling.
I know John Wayne is one of the Icons I keep hoping will be announced. :) I also always wondered if it was a licensing issue, or if they think his fans are not figure collectors. Given the fact that Smooth Criminal is still delayed (and all those Bruce Lee Casual and In Suit still hanging around), I wondered if maybe HT thinks the US doesn't care about the Icons line in general, but I guess we'll never know.

Wow this brings back memories, I used to listen to his songs when I was kid, it's sad how his life ended, but it's great if this is an Asia exclusive because I don't see many people who would be interested in this.

Wow this brings back memories, I used to listen to his songs when I was kid, it's sad how his life ended, but it's great if this is an Asia exclusive because I don't see many people who would be interested in this.

Is he really that famous in HK? I mean like Bruce Lee famous?

I thought one of the reasons why he comitted suicide was because of the rising new stars and he was not popular any more, and the fact that his long time male partner left him for a younger man.

He was one of the biggest musical icons and actors of his time.

I don't know if it's just to compare Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee failed in the west and went back to the east to pursue a career before regaining fame in the west for his movies and then martial arts background. Adding to the fact that his fame exploded also posthumously.

But Leslie's death along with those two other musical stars were also kind of depressing to the whole city of Hong Kong like Bruce Lee's.

I thought one of the reasons why he comitted suicide was because of the rising new stars and he was not popular any more, and the fact that his long time male partner left him for a younger man.

Well... in HK, the 80's was the break out year for the "Mega Pop Star" in general. The 2 biggest names was Alan Tam and Leslie Cheung. It would equal to Prince and Michael Jackson, only contained in Hong Kong. Before those 2 guys, there was only 1, Sam Hui, who you can argue is the godfather of HK Pop music.

Good singers, charismatic, handsome, and good actors, HK pop stars were kind of the full package. Like all things, nostalgia is a big factor. He was among the best especially his acting (which i found superior to his singging). He is also among the innovators of the Pop Star industry. Basketball players nowadays look up to Michael Jordan, HK pop stars look up to Leslie Cheung.

Bruce Lee died younger, and had a bigger global impact cause he broke out to Hollywood. Leslie Cheung is a local fan favorite. 1/6 companies have been fighting over his licence for years. I remember bumping into Enterbay's Bill in Mong Kok, and i also asked him about making a Leslie Cheung figure. That was like... 3 years ago. He told me at the time, the licence was in limbo, because the lawyers couldnt decide who had final say in the matter. Was it his lover (who the Will said everything goes to) ? his family? or his managing agent?

I'm guessing after 10 yrs.. they finally agreed on someone, which made this figure even possible. Another thing, 3-4 months ago, Enterbay teased that they would be issuing a Leslie figure on April. 1st 2013. Wheather that is still a go or have they been stopped by HT remains unkown.

We just all know how HT has a sweet tooth for trying their best to outdue Enterbay in everything.

Yeah, I think either of them should start making more Hong Kong star related figures :x

Well... in HK, the 80's was the break out year for the "Mega Pop Star" in general. The 2 biggest names was Alan Tam and Leslie Cheung. It would equal to Prince and Michael Jackson, only contained in Hong Kong. Before those 2 guys, there was only 1, Sam Hui, who you can argue is the godfather of HK Pop music.

Good singers, charismatic, handsome, and good actors, HK pop stars were kind of the full package. Like all things, nostalgia is a big factor. He was among the best especially his acting (which i found superior to his singging). He is also among the innovators of the Pop Star industry. Basketball players nowadays look up to Michael Jordan, HK pop stars look up to Leslie Cheung.

Bruce Lee died younger, and had a bigger global impact cause he broke out to Hollywood. Leslie Cheung is a local fan favorite. 1/6 companies have been fighting over his licence for years. I remember bumping into Enterbay's Bill in Mong Kok, and i also asked him about making a Leslie Cheung figure. That was like... 3 years ago. He told me at the time, the licence was in limbo, because the lawyers couldnt decide who had final say in the matter. Was it his lover (who the Will said everything goes to) ? his family? or his managing agent?

I'm guessing after 10 yrs.. they finally agreed on someone, which made this figure even possible. Another thing, 3-4 months ago, Enterbay teased that they would be issuing a Leslie figure on April. 1st 2013. Wheather that is still a go or have they been stopped by HT remains unkown.

We just all know how HT has a sweet tooth for trying their best to outdue Enterbay in everything.

Thanks for the insight info, stanlore. Helps me understand why they decide to make his figure. I guess Tony leung is another legendary HK actor thats M Icon worthy then? But they might not make him yet, as M Icon figures are all deceased.

I think locally he probably has the same level of prestige as Bruce Lee. Only difference is he never really did any mainstream Hollywood, so people outside of HK probably don't know him.

Hong Kong is one of the most stressful places in the world because of the way everyone stomp on one another to get ahead in life, what's worse is that Hong Kong peeps are really skillful at it and many take pride in doing things like that. You sort of get a glimpse by watching how HT deal with their competitors, that's mostly how it goes over there, and things like that can get a whole lot worse behind closed doors.

I'm sure Leslie Cheung had to deal with a lot of low blows in his life. When there are people in his social circle genuinely want to see him fail and keep giving him crap, it could build up and become devastating. I'm guessing the people he mentioned in his suicide letter are the only ones in his personal life who truly gave him any kind of support.

Nowadays people around the world have an awareness that bullying can lead to suicide, and people understand the concept of positive energy and emotional support etc... But in HK there is still a lack of understanding of those concepts, and everyone just sort of beat each other up emotionally and they don't see anything wrong with it, it's just the way of life over there. It's where productivity is driven by negativity, people push harder but are generally more depressed. Leslie should have moved the heck out of that place, I think he was too advanced for Hong Kong.

-

Last edited:
If Hot Toys are marketed and geared to Asian collectors first, specifically in China, and internationally last, how come the typography and graphics are so English centric? Why are things like, the instructions in the user guide English first and Chinese last?
Because they're a former British colony.

What did I just read by Theokan??? BS!!

'Too advance for HK' ??????!!!!!

There was a lot of homosexual oppression that went on in HK, I'm sure you've heard of it, it's sort of a huge thing...

Society keeps advancing over the years, its the same everywhere else, it's no different in HK. Just that at the time of his death people in HK were generally very against gays and lesbians, which had a lot to do with his depression. You probably saw the advancement yourself first hand in HK, how people started to accept homosexuality some time after his death, you probably saw how things have changed since.

Seriously HK still has a lot of growing to do.. Remember back in early 2000s Andy Lou commented about how HK's customer service is not acceptable in this day and age? The keyword is "this day and age", the underlying message was that HK isn't as modern as people want to believe, it isn't advanced enough. And he was absolutely right, there are many other problems in HK that still needs to be fixed. ie. the way Filipinos are treated as third rate citizen is totally not acceptable in the year 2013... seriously, this isn't the 60's anymore... If Hong Kong wants to be considered as an advanced society, these sort of mentality has to change.. There's no amount of sky scrapper or high tech gear that can hide the backwards thinking that still goes on today..

If you don't acknowledge the problems, you can't grow. HK just isn't at that level yet.

-

Last edited:
Customer service is certainly not HK's main strong points. Most of the SAs working in high end boutiques and street vendor levels have ****ty attitude.

But I think it's not bout growing up and more about the character though. It's a fast paced, highly competitive city. Most people working there are just too stressful I guess. Heck, even the elevators move in a much faster speed compared to other cities I've been with.

I've found many of the comments in this thread pretty vile to be honest. Why does it matter if Hot Toys decide to pay tribute to a HK actor who is obviously held in very high esteem? Hot Toys is a Hong Kong company, their target market is overhelmingly HK and China. The 'western' market is tiny for them, and they don't owe you anything. They make toys, if you don't like one that they choose to make, ignore it, get over it, wait until the next one comes out. The brat-like attitude of some people here is mind blowing.

Back