Hot Toys 1/4 Scale Iron Man Mark IV with Suit Up Gantry

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps they didn't include a full sculpt to keep the 1/6th version still desirable to those who need the sculpt.

People don’t really cross-shop the two scales. You either prefer one or the other or you like both and get both accordingly.

The simplest answer is honestly more likely to be corner/cost cutting.

Why make full head sculpt when just face do trick?

They know it’ll sell. And they’ll make the Mk VI with the same helmeted face sculpt and that’ll sell, too.

Iron Man being such a lucrative money printer for Hot Toys has unfortunately made a lot of Iron Man figures some of the worst priced, laziest, and least value for money releases for collectors.

It's definitely cost cutting. I'd rather pay an additional $50-75 for a full face sculpt. If you're already in for over a grand for the pair with the gantry, might as well keep the thing screen accurate and shell out a little more for a new sculpt (preferably with the sunglasses, too).

As an Iron Man collector it's frustrating because people whine, "oH aNoTHeR iRon MaN?" but Hot Toys can't do it right for Iron Man collectors either. No brainer, this should've come with a full head sculpt. The amount of reissues and sloppiness the past two years from Hot Toys has me more interested in statues instead.

Are they scared of doing head sculpts now? Kojun's MK43 sculpt was a work of art. Guess I have to wait for JND to get a Marvel license and hope I've got an extra 2 grand lying around.

Yeah, it's disappointing @ironmcn ... this could have been a definitive release from one of the most relatable and charming moments in the MCU (the hangover, not the sitting in a giant donut in power armour) but instead we get something well executed with glaring omissions. I can't justify that kind of money when iconic elements are lacking, don't care how good the armour looks.

Yeah, it's disappointing @ironmcn ... this could have been a definitive release from one of the most relatable and charming moments in the MCU (the hangover, not the sitting in a giant donut in power armour) but instead we get something well executed with glaring omissions. I can't justify that kind of money when iconic elements are lacking, don't care how good the armour looks.
Yup, glaring omissions indeed. Someone said the cuts on his face were movie accurate because of his fight with Rhodey. Completely false, they need to go back and watch the scene. I was especially looking forward to 6 and 46 in quarter scale, but if they keep reusing this sculpt with no improvements I'm not going to buy them.

My other question is, when will HT announce a 1/4 Hall of Armor?

They basically got 3,4 & 6 in the bag. They probably will announce 7 at the 10th anniversary later this year. So the 1/4 scale IM population is certainly growing…

As an Iron Man collector it's frustrating because people whine, "oH aNoTHeR iRon MaN?" but Hot Toys can't do it right for Iron Man collectors either.
I'm seeing that. Even at 1/6. Inaccuracies, wrong shades of red & gold, incorrect shapes, questionable likenesses, low effort on Battle Damage work, no battle-damage versions of suits that would be highly desireable etc etc

But at the same time it remains true that it is another Iron Man at a niche scale when people would maybe like to add characters to their collections other than Iron Man variants and Nolan Trilogy Batmans. Someone mentioned Cap - yeah, I can't believe they haven't even made a 1/4 Captain America, to say nothing of classic licenses like Alien, Predator and Arnold Terminators. If Cap can't get a figure it's disheartening to think of how little chance anything else has.

I would be all over a 1/4 Mark 6 and a Mark 7. The Mark 4 was always the awkward middle child of the original 7 to me.

And yeah no, they didn't include a full headsculpt from being cheap and easy, not to help people who also have the 1/6 version :lol They just reused the Mark 3 sculpt and didn't even bother covering up the scars on his face that makes no sense for this suit to begin with.

Usual Hot Toys laziness. They gave a full RDJ sculpt with the original 1/4 Mark 43 and then just said forget it, we're not doing that ever again for these QS figures since it actually takes a lot of work to do a new sculpt.

6IzMWKa.jpg

Last edited:
It's been almost seven years since the QS mark 43 was announced. What improvements does this have over the 43? It looks like they cut back on details and movable parts?

I'm seeing that. Even at 1/6. Inaccuracies, wrong shades of red & gold, incorrect shapes, questionable likenesses, low effort on Battle Damage work, no battle-damage versions of suits that would be highly desireable etc etc

But at the same time it remains true that it is another Iron Man at a niche scale when people would maybe like to add characters to their collections other than Iron Man variants and Nolan Trilogy Batmans. Someone mentioned Cap - yeah, I can't believe they haven't even made a 1/4 Captain America, to say nothing of classic licenses like Alien, Predator and Arnold Terminators. If Cap can't get a figure it's disheartening to think of how little chance anything else has.
At this point based on the quality I've seen and the corner cutting, it might be better if Hot Toys doesn't produce a 1/4 Cap. Put your money into statues instead :ROFLMAO: It can all be hit or miss though, of course.

Definitely not saying it doesn't suck for people who like other lines (poor DC), they need love too. It just seems like Hot Toys is nailing releases/announcements less often. The focus on reissues vs new products is a little disappointing too. But I was new to the hobby 2 years ago, and I'm sure those new collectors appreciate it.

It's been almost seven years since the QS mark 43 was announced. What improvements does this have over the 43? It looks like they cut back on details and movable parts?

Yeah based on these proto pics, it appears as an upscale from the 1/6 die-cast. The under armor detail especially in the chest seems a bit lackluster.

The under armor feature was always something I could have done without. The only figure that really should have had it is the Mark ll. It's a nice detail sure, but most of us aren't displaying these with the chest plate removed. And on the Mark 85 I would have gladly sacrificed this feature to have another led under the cracks of the chest armor like in the film.
Screenshot_20220103-200336_UPlayer.jpg
Screenshot_20220103-200413_UPlayer.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a 1/3 scale statue for less than what this will cost (including tax and shipping from Sideshow). Not worth it. If I do ever decide to pick it up I'll wait until after release when the prices will likely tank like they did with the 1/4 MK3 and Spidey.

Hmm, not too drastic as I'd imagined. Though I can see that some would consider this to be priced out.

Good to have three options, the Mark IV and gantry separately and bundled together. I think the bundle set box will be huuuugggee!!

Last edited:
The price for the gantry seems a bit excessive, so I will need to think about this before I order. I love the Mark III and Spidey, and I would hope to see a broader set of the Marvel big hitters, like Captain America (Endgame), Thor (Ultron or Ragnarok) instead of more Iron Man armors. After the size of this release, is Hulk unthinkable?

lol im going to make my usual prediction. quote this prediction. this will tank in price quickly right after HK release like all the other overpriced hot toys figures over the past two years or so.

lol im going to make my usual prediction. quote this prediction. this will tank in price quickly right after HK release like all the other overpriced hot toys figures over the past two years or so.
None of their QS figures even sell well. The Mark 3 was on discount for 10% on Sideshow and so was the Spider-Man QS figure. This will be a shelf warmer for a long time with how they priced it.

I bought a 1/3 scale statue for less than what this will cost (including tax and shipping from Sideshow). Not worth it. If I do ever decide to pick it up I'll wait until after release when the prices will likely tank like they did with the 1/4 MK3 and Spidey.
A non posable statue is no really comparable to the quality and engineering of this

Back