Has anyone picked up the new Star trek 12" figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slightly off topic here but I have a question that I hope some ST collectors might abswer for me.
I have a buddy who is a huge TNG fan and I was going to make a custom for him. How are the 12" Playmates TNG costumes? Are they compatible with hasbro bodies or a buck figure regarding fit or sleeve length? And how cheap is the fabric?
The 12" TNG unis were the best part of those figures. The bodies were awful and most of the sculpts sucked or were too big. I have put the unis on Sideshow and 21st Century bodies and the lengths were ok.
I don't know about the playmates 12"ers, Andy, but if you need more 9" figs, lmk as I have several I can send you that are just laying around.
If you're getting rid of the 9", and know one else has laid claim, I could use the sccessories. The 12" figure accessories were way to big, but the 9" versions come in handy. :D

Slightly off topic here but I have a question that I hope some ST collectors might abswer for me.
I have a buddy who is a huge TNG fan and I was going to make a custom for him. How are the 12" Playmates TNG costumes? Are they compatible with hasbro bodies or a buck figure regarding fit or sleeve length? And how cheap is the fabric?

Hmmmm......I'll have to check mine. I have a TON of stuff I want to get rid of. I'll have to check and see what I have.

The 12" TNG unis were the best part of those figures. The bodies were awful and most of the sculpts sucked or were too big. I have put the unis on Sideshow and 21st Century bodies and the lengths were ok.

If you're getting rid of the 9", and know one else has laid claim, I could use the sccessories. The 12" figure accessories were way to big, but the 9" versions come in handy. :D

I can probably find some stuff. Anything specific?

Edit: I found about 12 items, not many phasers for some reason. Mix of classic and tng type stuff. Pm your address and I'll get it out.

Last edited:
Great review! The 3 3/4" stuff looks terrible, and Kirk indeed has that Miles O'Brien feel to him (judging from the pics).

You're right though, for $30 piece we shouldn't be expecting much in terms of quality. But, I can't shake that Barbie vibe that the 12 inchers are giving me. And Kirk looks like he's a new member of N'Sync :lol...

I saw the 3 3/4 and 6 inch today at Wal-Mart. The 6 inch are okay. The 3 3/4 are pretty horrible: oddly shaped bodies, Uhura has extra thin weird looking limbs, paint jobs are horrible, with visible blotches of paint in the wrong places visible often. Really horrible. a major disappointment.

The thing about these playmates figures is that they have apparently used the same head sculpts for the 3 3/4", 6", and 12" figures, which is not ideal. However, I saw the 12" versions for the first time at TRU today, and I'll admit that they are not terrible. They look pretty decent, and are a step above what Hasbro has been doing with their 12" figures. Unless I love the movie, I probably won't be getting any (at least unless they go on clearance) but they're reasonable. The 6" versions seem decent as well. The 3 3/4" versions look pretty bad, and they're not that much cheaper than the 6" ones.

I picked up the new Spock action figure. It looks about the best of all of them. The other just don't look like the actors at all. I have yet to see the 12" dolls.

Finally managed to find a 1:6 scale Spock figure...
3486833273_57cfa0faae_o.jpg

I think he looks pretty good...can see a bit of Quinto in the sculpt. Like the Krik one, it's a pretty decent figure for the price.

So far I haven't seen any of the 12" figures. I guess I'll have to venture up to Toys R Us one of these days.

Back