Has anyone picked up the new Star trek 12" figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$30 actually seems on the expensive side for mass-market figures like these. I'm used to the $20 Hasbro stuff. Sure, it's incredibly cheap compared to Sideshow and Hot Toys figures, but they aren't remotely comparable.

I have a feeling I'll find Kirk pretty attractive, even though I'm not really into pretty boys. :eek: Pine seems very charismatic in the role.

Crossing my fingers-I grew up on TOS, and *don't* want to hate this reboot.

Lot of redressing/kitbashing potential in the figures, at least.

Sideshow missed the opportunity to do the original series figures. I would buy them but not this Re-Trek crap.

Sideshow missed the opportunity to do the original series figures. I would buy them but not this Re-Trek crap.

I can't believe how terrible these figures look. Playmates made better toys back in the '90s.

The movie looks good and I am a long time ST fan. From what I hear they have a nice out to explain all of the continuity problems. I think this movie may actually work.

I can't believe how terrible these figures look. Playmates made better toys back in the '90s.

The movie looks good and I am a long time ST fan. From what I hear they have a nice out to explain all of the continuity problems. I think this movie may actually work.

I don't. :mad:

I'm excited about the movie. The OS characters are the only Trek characters that ever interested me, and I like the possiblities this opens up with them.

Star Trek was in desperate need of a face lift. This film looks like it can get the franchise moving in the right direction. Star Trek hasn't been mainstream since the early '80s. This is a tentpole type picture. Something I never thought we'd see from Star Trek again.

I don't know much about the new film's plot, but I do know of a neat little twist that should keep the continuity buffs happy.

That said, the film's going to have to be good. I am optimistic.

Crossing my fingers-I grew up on TOS, and *don't* want to hate this reboot.

Lot of redressing/kitbashing potential in the figures, at least.

My thoughts exactly!!!! Where in Indiana are you? I am close to downtown. Cool to have another freak close to home.

I picked a couple up. Obviously they're not Enterbay level figures, but for mass market, they're not as awful as you'd think. Sculpts are soft, and not helped by the fact that I'm just not familiar with the actors. But the bodies are much, much better than Playmates' last 12" Trek line, the accessories seem to be in scale (again, having not seen the movie yet, not sure...) and the clothing is really well done, by Playmates standards. The smaller figures look like crap to me, but these aren't bad at all, I'm happy to have them on the shelf. And -- Star Trek toys, in plentiful quality, at ToysRUs again! It's like the early nineties, all over again!

Thanks for thr info on the bodies. Maybe I'll have to pick up old Spock after all. I'll wait and check out Michael Crawford's review when he has it done.
Alan

I picked a couple up. Obviously they're not Enterbay level figures, but for mass market, they're not as awful as you'd think. Sculpts are soft, and not helped by the fact that I'm just not familiar with the actors. But the bodies are much, much better than Playmates' last 12" Trek line, the accessories seem to be in scale (again, having not seen the movie yet, not sure...) and the clothing is really well done, by Playmates standards. The smaller figures look like crap to me, but these aren't bad at all, I'm happy to have them on the shelf. And -- Star Trek toys, in plentiful quality, at ToysRUs again! It's like the early nineties, all over again!

I picked up a Kirk figure today...

3451211127_e21b744cb6_b.jpg

For the price, I think these Playmates 12" figures look pretty decent. Pine strikes me as another one of these actors who has a likeness that's hard to nail, but this figure looks alright. Both Spock ones looked good and so did the McCoy.

The outfit is really well done and I like the boots being sculpted instead of being oversized forced onto feet. The stand with the peg for the hole in the boot sole is pretty effective...just like the ones utilized for most small scale figures. Unlike those really awful looking 3.75 scale figures, these 12" scale ones have a good, sturdy, quality look to them.

If I end up liking this movie, I may pick up the Spock one...

I picked up a Kirk figure today...

3451211127_e21b744cb6_b.jpg

For the price, I think these Playmates 12" figures look pretty decent. Pine strikes me as another one of these actors who has a likeness that's hard to nail, but this figure looks alright. Both Spock ones looked good and so did the McCoy.

The outfit is really well done and I like the boots being sculpted instead of being oversized forced onto feet. The stand with the peg for the hole in the boot sole is pretty effective...just like the ones utilized for most small scale figures. Unlike those really awful looking 3.75 scale figures, these 12" scale ones have a good, sturdy, quality look to them.

If I end up liking this movie, I may pick up the Spock one...

I think it looks more like Shatner than Pine. I want a Spock.

Thanks for thr info on the bodies. Maybe I'll have to pick up old Spock after all. I'll wait and check out Michael Crawford's review when he has it done.
Alan

I have Original Spock and he's pretty good. At some angles it looks just like Nimoy and at others he doesn't. The head seems a bit too thin and small and the left ear isn't as pointed as the right and doesn't look good. He has molded shoes and socks that turn at the ankle. They rather look like bedroom slippers and old man socks. The costume is very nicely done and made from a substantial material, but looks slightly over-sized with the undersized head. The paint on the head and eyebrows is definitely mass market toy level and not professional figure level. Still, it's a decent Nimoy Spock as he looks today and worth getting for classic Spock fans.

Slightly off topic here but I have a question that I hope some ST collectors might abswer for me.
I have a buddy who is a huge TNG fan and I was going to make a custom for him. How are the 12" Playmates TNG costumes? Are they compatible with hasbro bodies or a buck figure regarding fit or sleeve length? And how cheap is the fabric?

I don't know about the playmates 12"ers, Andy, but if you need more 9" figs, lmk as I have several I can send you that are just laying around.

Back