Go see Serenity - Again!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where Serenity finally stands will ultimatly be decided months and months from now when worldwide theater and DVD(december 20) sales totals are added up.

i know what i'm getting for christmas :naughty

I think we will all soon come to the conclusion that this franchise is probably dead. The box office numbers are more than disappointing. They're dismal. For any studio to commit to a sequel now would be fiscally irresponsible. Maybe worldwide ticket and video sales will generate enough revenue to revive it in the future. I sure hope so. Otherwise I think the fun ride has come to a screeching halt. Would still love to see SS do a fig series.

Saw this posted over at Whedonesque and here's what the person posting it said:

Yes, this is good. This is probably the best "sci-fi" drop since Attack of the Clones in 2002, which fell 40%. It's a very, very rare thing when sci-fi pictures, especially those with a built-in audience, fall less than 50%.

From EDI:

1 WALLACE & GROMIT: CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT $16.03m
2 FLIGHTPLAN $10.76m
3 IN HER SHOES $10.02m
4 TWO FOR THE MONEY $8.70m
5 THE GOSPEL $7.52m
6 TIM BURTON'S CORPSE BRIDE $6.51m
7 WAITING $6.02m
8 SERENITY $5.35m
9 A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE $5.07m
10 INTO THE BLUE $4.83m

Other good news is Serenity came in #1 in the UK for the weekend!

Okay,
so the theatrical receipts of Serenity have been less than stellar. The television ratings were also not the greatest, hence the cancellation. The dropoff from week one to week two was pretty significant too. The best bet will be to make another trip to the Serenity 'verse this upcoming weekend in the few theaters that it retains. This should be a steady weekend, and perhaps the numbers will go up on a per-screen basis too. I think that the sales of the dvd will be phenomenal too. A lot of movies didn't warrant a trip to the theater for me, as I knew that I would catch them on dvd, including Batman Begins, Fantastic Four, and a load of other movies aimed at my interests. It was important to see land of the dead theatrically, to be fiscally vocal about support for Romero (zombie) movies, and the same goes for Serenity!

It always sad when one comes to the stark realization of just how small a pond of fandom you ACTUALLY swim in.

Being a "Planet of the Apes" fan, I feel the pain of all Browncoats.

On the upside, you guys did get another two hours of Serenity antics to enjoy and a bit of closure for some of the dangling plot lines and nagging questions. Some fans don't have it that lucky.

Viking28 said:
Saw it again this weekend, I dont understand how the numbers are that low when the theater I saw it at had on two screens 20 mins apart and both had pretty good size crowd. Esp with it being a Sunday matnee.

I don't understand either - the theater I went to was SOLD OUT on Friday night 10:45 (which is pretty late for selling out, especially since the movie was in it's second week of release). I'm thinking it's probably doing awesomely in the cities and HORRENDOUSLY in the smaller towns. That's all I can think of to explain it - every showing I've been to in the LA area has been nearly, if not totally, full. Darn it, it makes me sad :sick

Protozaius said:
It always sad when one comes to the stark realization of just how small a pond of fandom you ACTUALLY swim in.

Being a "Planet of the Apes" fan, I feel the pain of all Browncoats.

On the upside, you guys did get another two hours of Serenity antics to enjoy and a bit of closure for some of the dangling plot lines and nagging questions. Some fans don't have it that lucky.

This is a good perspective to have Protozaius. Cheers! :duff

Well, I'm just not sure how big a following this has. I mean for me personally I know nothing about this and so I'm just not that interested in seeing it. This may be one of those movies that's really good but only going to play to a small number of fans. In the Kansas City area which isn't tiny this movie is only playing on 21 screens today so that also explains why it isn't making the big bucks.

Even if DVD sales are fantastic it's unlikely that another feature film will get green-lit. "Waiting..." beat it for gosh sakes and that looks like a horrible film.

Bright side - maybe Joss will prefer being a large fish in the TV pond rather than a minnow in the feature world and give us some more stellar series'. Although I'd rather see him play with a bigger budget...:banghead

I think it was the "budget" that killed this film. On tv the budget is very limited and that limits what? CGI scenes. Leaving what? More interaction with the crew. That's what we fell in love with. While I loved the movie there was just not enough character development to fully indoctrinate an "unfamiliar" in my opinion anyway. There had to be more fighting, more great cgi effects and more action by virtue of the medium. You never became fully vested in the characters because there simply wasn't enough film to really flesh them out. The already anointed loved it as it was a continuation of a small screen love affair with the crew. There just weren't enough of them though to make the necessary dollars. I mourn the probable loss of future adventures but am thankful to have gotten this extra pearl to watch over and over like the rest.

Oh I agree, I'm definitely happy we got this - and if there had never been a mention that there could be possible sequels I'd be thrilled with what we got. But dammit - the cast signed on for three movies and Joss said he had plans so it makes you want even more! So if this is it, I'll be sad we didn't get more story but I'm glad we did get a chance to see it on the big screen and that the major plot line for the series was wrapped up.

But, I'll still be hopeful until there is definite word it ain't going to happen. I'll then just have to be content with my Sideshow Serenity/Firefly figures (please, Sideshow make that happen!!!) :D

Since Firefly seems to have such a strong DVD following, maybe they should try to do any planned sequels as lower budget direct to DVD projects. I doubt the drop in special effects quality would bother anyone used to watching the tv show.

Lots of Fun

I got interested by the strong word of mouth on this one, and went to check it out. I really enjoyed it. It had such a great underlying sense of comedy and absurdism. The "Han Solo" style captain is great. Also, I was really impressed with the production quality. I haven't seen any of the episodes, but will have to follow up.

Two thumbs up from the SpaceMan!

:peace

Obsoleteman, I thought the special effects for the show when it aired looked great for tv and the budget would be a lot cheaper for tv as well. I'd love for there to be a miniseries with more focus on characters then we got in the movie. The movie was great but because it was a big screen movie the focus wasn't able to be as much on the characters as we would've seen in the series. Maybe if we can't get another big screen movie the Powers that be will still feel there's enough interest and profit in making a tv miniseries or a direct to dvd project.

Spaceman, glad to hear you enjoyed the movie so much and you will definitely love the series as well!

Didn't Firefly win some awards for Visual Effects? I remember reading that somewhere and thinking that was great, especially for such a short-lived series!

I am pretty sure that Firefly won an emmy for Visual Effects. Just like Fox to cancel an award-winning show. First the Ben Stiller Show, now Firefly :rolleyes:

Firefly Emmy

Yes, "Firefly" won an Emmy for Outstanding Special Visual Effects for a Series in 2003. The show also won a Saturn Award, a Golden Satellite award, and a Cinescape award. Info here on imdb.com:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/awards

Fox is fast becoming notorious for cancelling or threatening to cancel shows that win it awards, like "Arrested Development" which has won TONS of awards (and been nominated for even more), and Fox cut last season's episodes back to 18, and nearly didn't renew it for this season.

Fox also IS notorious for cancelling shows after 2 or 3 episodes.

Stupid Fox Network...

Yeah, and let us not forget their abusive (borderline criminal) treatment of Futurama. :banghead

I doubt it would have lasted as long as it did if it weren't for the success of "The Simpsons."

Hi guys.

I was just wondering whether someone in the U.S./Canada could help me obtain a copy of the Serenity Visual Companion?

I wanted to wait until after I'd seen the movie before getting it, but now it's pretty much sold out locally. And even amazon seem a little short. I really want it asap, and amazon say it might take a month.

Amazon say that it's available for in-store pickup... so maybe that would be an option.

Anyway, no hard feelings if no one's able to help. But if you can, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt.

(p.s. for those that don't know I'm in Australia)
p.p.s. Amazon's in-store pickup seems to be done through Borders stores.

Last edited:
Amazon also told me a month. it shipped a week and a half after i ordered it.

silly Amazon

Back