Star Wars Saga (OT/PT/ST) Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that really the best you can do? Come on, I know you can do better than that. Hot dog cart! Bwah hah hah I?m in stitches!
It?s all relative smarty. You read what you wanted to read.
No one said that Star Wars didn?t make money, but only the most tunnel visioned dummy with zero ability to see beyond their own experiences would assume that just because their whole world revolves around a particular intellectual property the same holds true for a multi-billion dollar corporation that has a ton of pots on the stove.
It?s actually exhausting discussing this with someone so dense, at least the other guy had a clue, put him back on and go take a nap or something.

Can?t even remember your own words. Can?t even defend the most ridiculous comment I?ve ever read on this forum... ?star wars is tiny.?

Yes yes I?m the dense one. Says the guy using strawman arguments and constantly changing his tune.

I?ll sum up our encounter with a gif of me and you.

5de604364a598637d4620dea_may-4th-3.gif

...So there are two possible reasons that the most successful entertainment company in the history of companies made this decision. A - they want to sabotage themselves and cost themselves money and subscribers and lose many of their own jobs, or B - their knowledge of this industry that they have achieved more success in than anyone before them, tells them that they can fire that lady and it won?t hurt them in any way that is worth being concerned about.
I?m going with B. ...

You present only two possibilities, but ignore two others. 1.) The decision was made with politics prioritized ahead of business. Or, 2.) The decision was made while miscalculating fan/audience response. I know that you refuse to believe in the first one (which I think explains the true motive), but I'm surprised that you're not even willing to entertain the second one.

Maybe in your executive management experience, the only bad or inappropriate decisions you've made were deliberate and intentional (for some weird reason). If so, then I commend you more than words can express. But in my experience, executives make miscalculated decisions pretty routinely. With these same specific executives at LFL/Disney, in fact, you need look no further than recent history to find evidence of miscalculation.

I seriously doubt that Iger and Kennedy deliberately intended all along for Solo to underperform at the box office, for example. I don't believe that they'd want to have to answer questions about fan erosion and see headlines about the first SW movie to lose money. And anyone who reads the SW threads here knows that I'm a fan of TLJ, but I'd be crazy to suggest that they'd make that movie the same way today. All the evidence you need is in the backtracking they did on the very next film. :lol

Judging by The Mandalorian viewership, disgruntled fans didn't stay away. So I wouldn't fault you for believing that everyone will again be coming back for more no matter how pissed off some of us are about the recent firing. But I don't understand how you'd believe that the current narrative surrounding SW and LFL was calculated to be the preferred option.

Oh well, I guess we'll find out if all the sheep do indeed come back to the barn.

You present only two possibilities, but ignore two others. 1.) The decision was made with politics prioritized ahead of business. Or, 2.) The decision was made while miscalculating fan/audience response. I know that you refuse to believe in the first one (which I think explains the true motive), but I'm surprised that you're not even willing to entertain the second one.

Maybe in your executive management experience, the only bad or inappropriate decisions you've made were deliberate and intentional (for some weird reason). If so, then I commend you more than words can express. But in my experience, executives make miscalculated decisions pretty routinely. With these same specific executives at LFL/Disney, in fact, you need look no further than recent history to find evidence of miscalculation.

I seriously doubt that Iger and Kennedy deliberately intended all along for Solo to underperform at the box office, for example. I don't believe that they'd want to have to answer questions about fan erosion and see headlines about the first SW movie to lose money. And anyone who reads the SW threads here knows that I'm a fan of TLJ, but I'd be crazy to suggest that they'd make that movie the same way today. All the evidence you need is in the backtracking they did on the very next film. :lol

Judging by The Mandalorian viewership, disgruntled fans didn't stay away. So I wouldn't fault you for believing that everyone will again be coming back for more no matter how pissed off some of us are about the recent firing. But I don't understand how you'd believe that the current narrative surrounding SW and LFL was calculated to be the preferred option.

Oh well, I guess we'll find out if all the sheep do indeed come back to the barn.

Ironically I think that pretty much every decision that Disney has made with respect to Lucasfilm has been a poor one, including everything related to The Last Jedi. Funny that you as a TLJ fan are attacking their decision making while I have the unenviable task of defending it.
Not sure why you think I think their decision wasn?t based upon politics. I definitely think it was, not entirely, but in part.
If the progressive minded powers that be at Disney agreed with her they probably would have been more open to defending her. In this case I believe that the powers that be at Disney were as offended by her as many of the people calling for her removal were.
They simply did not want to be associated with her any longer and were REALLY sick of being asked about her. They even sent someone to her house to teach her how to make her social media posts more palatable and she wouldn?t have it. It probably began to feel like insubordination to them at a certain point and became less about the politics.
They have every right to fire her if they don?t want to be associated with her anymore. If they felt that the posts from the guy in the helmet were problematic TO THEM, because it?s their company not ours, they had every right to do the same thing.
A lot of freedom loving folks suddenly don?t seem to like it as much when it?s the freedom for someone else to do something that they disagree with.
Anyway, you made my point for me. My only point was that Disney fired her because they wanted to and new that the consequences would be small enough to allow them not to regret the decision. As you said, the shows viewership is doing fine which was my only point.
Have they lost fans? Sure. Did they know that they would lose fans when they fired her? Of course they did. Is everything going the way that they expected it to once they fired her? I believe so.
So they made a business decision that was good for them and the world keeps spinning and now that poor lady who couldn?t control herself has to go from a hit tv show to making a web film on a conservative news website.
I think there may be only one loser in the whole thing.

...or able to spell.

It really doesn?t get much better than someone misspelling intelligent when they are trying to insult someone else by accusing them of not being intelligent does it? You love to see it :)

It really doesn?t get much better than someone misspelling intelligent when they are trying to insult someone else by accusing them of not being intelligent does it? You love to see it :)

You really are Jar Jar if you think I cared that much to actually make it.

And yet you were stupid enough to use it.

It was the first result on google. I’m not digging to find a correct version.

Wanna call me stupid but you still think Star Wars is a tiny franchise and not a money maker. And you are/were in the “entertainment industry.” :lol Maybe you were a clown.

I?m a white male and I hate Star Wars.

You hate everything.....
;)

And I disagree with the Conservative part.

Mainly because it?s really weird to think a serious conservative would like Luke Skywalker as a hero. The Empire is the definition of a right wing fascist government.

I mean I understand many extremists are pretty thick when it comes to comprehending the messages in the entertainment they enjoy and the politics they follow, but you have to be really willfully ignoring the story to think the Empire isn?t fascist.

Gina , first off , is not a victim. She chose her words over the past years, she chose to share them, well knowing the company she worked for did not support them. It?s not cancel culture is CONSEQUENCE culture.

The last several years certain groups have tried to push the goal lines in an attempt to make speech that was normally unacceptable , mainstream. It?s been a very strong core of the US leadership for a while. When you normalize speech like that, you are setting up for further action. It?s all throughout history.

Many companies just will not stand for non inclusive speech. What Gina has been saying has been the exact opposite of Disney?s values for a LONG TIME. Why should anyone be surprised by this? Or shocked ? Or angry?

How long would a prominent leader in an organization like the NRA last of they were talking about new gun laws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These days it seems the shoe is on the other foot. Agree with me or else!!!

The Philippines have a great saying: ?lahat ng gubat ang may ahas?... the translation for this is ?all trees have snakes?. Or to adopt your saying: both our feet are wearing the same shoe. :lol

I don?t trust either side. The government can never be trusted . Rebel !

You hate everything.....
;)

And I disagree with the Conservative part.

Mainly because it?s really weird to think a serious conservative would like Luke Skywalker as a hero. The Empire is the definition of a right wing fascist government.

I mean I understand many extremists are pretty thick when it comes to comprehending the messages in the entertainment they enjoy and the politics they follow, but you have to be really willfully ignoring the story to think the Empire isn?t fascist.

Gina , first off , is not a victim. She chose her words over the past years, she chose to share them, well knowing the company she worked for did not support them. It?s not cancel culture is CONSEQUENCE culture.

The last several years certain groups have tried to push the goal lines in an attempt to make speech that was normally unacceptable , mainstream. It?s been a very strong core of the US leadership for a while. When you normalize speech like that, you are setting up for further action. It?s all throughout history.

Many companies just will not stand for non inclusive speech. What Gina has been saying has been the exact opposite of Disney?s values for a LONG TIME. Why should anyone be surprised by this? Or shocked ? Or angry?

How long would a prominent leader in an organization like the NRA last of they were talking about new gun laws?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s really weird to think a normal Conservative would like a far right fascist government. Very odd thinking on your part.

It isn’t consequence culture because Pedro made the same posts and guess what? No consequences.

Aaaahhh, nothing like SW for a good read... :yes:

Anyway, I'm really curious as to where this is all going, but it's been sooooo quiet.
Disney really has put the foot down, because it must be hell inside that company right now.

Bill Burr finally said a few words about the situation but he was a lot more reserved than usual. You could tell that he is afraid of being cancelled too and even said as much. He spoke about how ridiculous cancel culture is in a pretty gentle tone. He also said that Gina is a very nice person and that he liked her. He was very careful and measured.

Bill Burr finally said a few words about the situation but he was a lot more reserved than usual. You could tell that he is afraid of being cancelled too and even said as much. He spoke about how ridiculous cancel culture is in a pretty gentle tone. He also said that Gina is a very nice person and that he liked her. He was very careful and measured.

If someone like Burr is being measured and careful about what he says, that's frightening. Goes to show how far out of reach this ship is already sailing. :(

I don?t really know about any of that. I just know that I believe very strongly in capitalism. If a company feels that one employee is a liability to them and the other isn?t they have the freedom to fire that employee.
I don?t even believe cancel culture exists. I think it?s nothing more than capitalism.
If I have a bad experience in one restaurant and a good experience in another, I stop going to the bad restaurant.
Freedom is important. In some totalitarian country I would be forced to keep eating at the bad restaurant even though it makes me unhappy.
It?s not cancel culture it?s capitalism. You want me to eat there don?t give me a bad meal.
Some people don?t want to watch a show starring someone whose best skill is being able to take a punch to the face so they stop watching it.
I don?t watch The Manadalorian so I don?t really know, but from what I?ve heard that lady isn?t exactly Cate Blanchett or Meryl Streep.
Disney makes a financial decision that the people who don?t like her make more money for them than the people who do so they fire her.
Sounds like business. Sounds like capitalism. What?s not to love about capitalism?
Disney is the most successful entertainment company in history, they must have some clue about what they?re doing.
I personally don?t agree with a single decision that they have made about Star Wars, but as I keep saying, Star Wars is not their money maker.

You have to explain how cancel culture does not exist when that is exactly what happened to Gina and not other stars on the show.

If Disney is not the $ maker you say it is then they didnt throw her off the show because they were worried about profits..

No they were listening to a very vocal minority who have been screaming for her to be fired for some time. Disney seemed to be looking for an excuse because her political values did not match theirs.. Only reason I can think of because again.. Other stars on the show did the exact same thing..

Hell even Disney's press announcement got it wrong and said that she was attacking a religion... Nope not the case.. Disney was just looking for a reason because people in power there have a certain political view and you better be lock step with them.

Everyone and I mean everyone that has met and worked with Gina has said she is a wonderful and caring human being. No a mean bone in her body.. She was a fan favorite.

Nah She got Cancelled

If someone like Burr is being measured and careful about what he says, that's frightening. Goes to show how far out of reach this ship is already sailing. :(

Yep.. Exactly. You could tell he was uncomfortable about the whole thing being discussed.

he never keeps quiet about anything.

Gina does not tolerate being bullied so that seems to be her downfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back