Gaming Harware

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really I think this generation of consoles will last for several more years. Xbox 360 has a few more years left in it. Wii hasn't even become widely available yet, and the PS3 is still losing tons of money. I think all of the companies will take their time with the next consoles to make sure they will be as successful as they can, they made too many mistakes with this generation.

The real thing that I hate about buying a new console isn’t buying the console itself but the accessories. I defiantly get my moneys worth out of my 360 but with regards to it and the ps3 once a new console comes out we have to buy the new accessories. I’m talking about buying the controllers, headsets, and such. After buying three $60 dollar controllers, batteries to charge them, and headsets its freakin expensive. Now that everything has gone wireless I hope that when the next generation of consoles will be compatible the same accessories as this gen.

dont forget about buying the HDMI cable for the PS3!!! remember HD starts when they say it does....as long as you pay extra for the cable.

dont forget about buying the HDMI cable for the PS3!!! remember HD starts when they say it does....as long as you pay extra for the cable.

Thats right we have to go HD! They say that you can buy the cheap $15 dollar ones at Walmart and it doesnt look any better than buying the Sony $75 - $85 dollar ones.

^^^ $6 shipped on amazon. it's all the same, but i just liked how sony forgot to mention that during their high and mighty ad campaign. since they make the cables you'd think they can throw in one for free. it's not like it costs them more than a dollar or two to make.

^^^ $6 shipped on amazon. it's all the same, but i just liked how sony forgot to mention that during their high and mighty ad campaign. since they make the cables you'd think they can throw in one for free. it's not like it costs them more than a dollar or two to make.

Why not throw in a headset while they are at it! :rotfl

christmas is coming. if sony was really looking out they would throw one in a holiday bundle. especially if they really want to start pushing PSN chatting.

Little Big Planet is going to be the catalyst for a load of headset purchases as well as for the Playstation Eye Camera. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony released a bundle including the above.

I'm still waiting for another price drop to get a PS3. That or like I did for my Wii and wait for my girlfriend to get me one for Christmas! :rock

Unfortunately using non-official Sony cables can invalidate your PS3 warranty. There was a little bit of an uproar when that came to light last year.

Basically, if they ask, say you are using Sony brand HDMI cables.

I feel exactly the same way. I used to play PC games all the time up until consoles rivaled the graphics performance of most pc games and what more, you didn't have to fight to get them to perform correctly. Also, constantly upgrading hardware for your PC every 1 year to play the latest games versus buying a console every 5 years is an easy choice for me (especially with graphics card prices the way they are).

When i say upgradeable I didn't mean exactly like the PC is upgradeable. I meant, make the console so that when new propriatary things are developed that they can be installed into the console by users. Such as an HDMI port. Make it so that the ports for the 360 can be removed and replaced with an HDMI port like a network card on a PC. We can replace the harddrive so that is cool. Expansion.... that is the word I meant not upgrade but expansion. You know how on some PC's you can just pull out things without openning up the case? Like that. Also expanding the operating system with firmware updates as they do now. Things like that, that will keep the user up to date but also if sonmeone doesn't do these things they can still play the games out of the box. Software is so intelligent now that these things are possible without needing to create a whole new console. If they change the internal architecture like the processor and chips then yes a new console will be needed but with firmware updates and we could extend console life from 6 years to 10 easily. As for the digital content, if they allow you to burn a copy of the game you download then i am all for it other than that, I want the actual disk i pay for.

I don't think that would work very good.

For one--you couldn't upgrade it all that much because if you change it too much (like faster graphics processor or whatever) then newer games wouldn't be supported on older systems (like a PC).

Plus, making it easy to change out parts would also make it easy to hack the console.

Other than that there's not really anything you could upgrade that would be worth the trouble.

I don't think that would work very good.

For one--you couldn't upgrade it all that much because if you change it too much (like faster graphics processor or whatever) then newer games wouldn't be supported on older systems (like a PC).

Plus, making it easy to change out parts would also make it easy to hack the console.

Other than that there's not really anything you could upgrade that would be worth the trouble.

I see your point.

i have owned every game console up until xbox and ps2. Those were the last ones that I bought and don't see the need to buy anything newer. games hit their peak for me with Street Fighter 2 . who needs ps3 or ps4 when there are at least 20 versions of street fighter on xbox and ps2?:banana:banana:banana

When i say upgradeable I didn't mean exactly like the PC is upgradeable. I meant, make the console so that when new propriatary things are developed that they can be installed into the console by users. Such as an HDMI port. Make it so that the ports for the 360 can be removed and replaced with an HDMI port like a network card on a PC. We can replace the harddrive so that is cool. Expansion.... that is the word I meant not upgrade but expansion. You know how on some PC's you can just pull out things without openning up the case? Like that. Also expanding the operating system with firmware updates as they do now. Things like that, that will keep the user up to date but also if sonmeone doesn't do these things they can still play the games out of the box. Software is so intelligent now that these things are possible without needing to create a whole new console. If they change the internal architecture like the processor and chips then yes a new console will be needed but with firmware updates and we could extend console life from 6 years to 10 easily. As for the digital content, if they allow you to burn a copy of the game you download then i am all for it other than that, I want the actual disk i pay for.

Well, isn't that the point of offering different sku's of the same console? Sure, the ability to swap out parts (excluding critical hardware, like the cpu and gpu) would be nice, but I'm sure we'd reach a point where we'd see this expansion feature to be fairly unnecessary.

I mean, how many different parts could you possibly swap out? How many options could be feasible? A basic A/V port to HDMI? Well, there's already both on the Xbox 360 and PS3. A network card? ok, that's another thing you can replace and expand. What else? I can't think of anything else besides hard drive expansion. And these days, proprietary add-ons and accessories are just connected by USB.

i have owned every game console up until xbox and ps2. Those were the last ones that I bought and don't see the need to buy anything newer. games hit their peak for me with Street Fighter 2 . who needs ps3 or ps4 when there are at least 20 versions of street fighter on xbox and ps2?:banana:banana:banana

Well, I guess if all you're playing is Street Fighter games then there's no reason to upgrade to a current generation console...unless you want to play Street Fighter 4, pal. Comes out next year for the PS3 and Xbox 360.

A basic A/V port to HDMI? Well, there's already both on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

My 360 does not have an HDMI port so in order to get one I have to spend another 300. Why not just have the ability to pop out the ports and pay 30 for a new port and pop it in? And as for the USB expansion.... with only 2 usb ports on the 360, 1 being used by the network adapter that leaves 1. Luckily while the HD drive was around it alloed the Network card to be attached to that. But most people don't have the room for all these attachments. And the PS3 only has 2 on the 40 gig model. Granted i concede that there isn't much room for manual upgrades to the consoles but there has to be some middle ground.

When did you buy your xbox 360? All current 360 sku's out there have an HDMI input (in U.S. at least).

Middle ground? I can't think of anything to expand upon with manual upgrades that A)cannot be had by choosing the sku you want and B)aren't existing expansion options (hard drive, etc.).

Is there something in mind beside the HDMI port that you want to add to your console?

Dude, when did they say that they were making a new Xobx. I know they are talking about making the PS4, but that is still a couple years off. And MS pushed the Xbox to the max before jumping to the 360, so whats your complaint with them. And it's been out about 3 years and I don't think they will be coming out with another console for at least another couple of years too.

And I don't count the multiple 360 versions as more than one console.

My 360 does not have an HDMI port so in order to get one I have to spend another 300.

Brand new 360 with HDMI port costs $199.

And as for the USB expansion.... with only 2 usb ports on the 360, 1 being used by the network adapter that leaves 1.

There are three USB ports on the 360, not two. One in back, and two in front.

Dude, when did they say that they were making a new Xobx. I know they are talking about making the PS4, but that is still a couple years off. And MS pushed the Xbox to the max before jumping to the 360, so whats your complaint with them. And it's been out about 3 years and I don't think they will be coming out with another console for at least another couple of years too.

And I don't count the multiple 360 versions as more than one console.

Of course they're working on a new one. It'll be several years before it comes out but it takes a long time to develop new consoles.

Back