Gaming Harware

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chimera 1

Super Freak
Reaction score
With the coming of the next generation of the PS, Xbox and Wii I have to ask.... Are you tired of buying new consoles? I mean before the current consoles are even used to their full potential they are getting ready to make them obsolete. I think they should push the consoles to the max prior to releasing a new system. I understand that technology advances every 6 months but I am running out of room with hardware especially since they are not always backwards compatible. Lets see....(Playstation, PS2, PS3, Xbox, 360, Gamecube, Wii) Not to mention the peripherals (Controllers, Wii motes, Wii zapper, guitars, drums, tennis rackets, golf clubs, bats, mics, headsets, eye toys, 360 camera etc, 360 HD player). Of course i will be buying the new consoles but is anyone else getting a little overwhelmed also? I mean I still have a nintendo, super nintendo, nintendo 64, sega, sega saturn. Just wondering.

Playstation has a 6 year philosophy and I am fine with that.

Microsoft changes it anytime they can up the ante and Nintendo also changes their consoles around the 6 year mark.

I don't see the problem actually.

You don't have to follow MS through their plethora of consoles as they always keep them the same with just something fixed or something bigger in the next console and Nintendo has a long lifetime for their consoles of around the same as Sony's which has a lifetime of 6 years and they always keep supporting their older consoles.

Playstation has a 6 year philosophy and I am fine with that.

Microsoft changes it anytime they can up the ante and Nintendo also changes their consoles around the 6 year mark.

I don't see the problem actually.

You don't have to follow MS through their plethora of consoles as they always keep them the same with just something fixed or something bigger in the next console and Nintendo has a long lifetime for their consoles of around the same as Sony's which has a lifetime of 6 years and they always keep supporting their older consoles.

No I am not saying it is a problem, with the exception of backwards compatibility. 6 years is a long time to own a console, I completely agree.
When were the latest consoles released?

No I am not saying it is a problem, with the exception of backwards compatibility. 6 years is a long time to own a console, I completely agree.
When were the latest consoles released?

Nov 05 for xbox and a year later for the other 2.

Before I bought my PS3 and 360 I only had the Gamecube and before that only played my Bro's PS2, so if I gotta buy a new console in 4 years no biggie, I'll have gotten my moneys worth out of what I have now.

I just hate then the short change a console. The 360 and PS3 have more to give and with firmware updates they can push these systems allot farther than what they are being used for now. That is my point, I mean MS is making new sku's so why can't they make the systems upgradeble like PC's?

Sadly, I usually, if eventually, come to own all the current generation consoles released. Its been this way since the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis days for me.

I bought my Super Nintendo (actually, my parents did) back in 1992 and 5 years later I bought the Nintendo 64. Same thing happened with my Sega Genesis which then made way for the Sega Saturn and eventually the Sega Dreamcast. Same goes for PS1 and every successive PS system thereafter.

There were a myriad of dead-end temporary peripherals back then, it's all very similar to today, the present times. Remember the Virtual Boy?

It's not overwhelming if you've been gaming since before you could walk, and since the hubbub over each new generation of consoles is so big and momentous, it's exciting just to get caught up in it.

According to many analysts, the next generation of consoles will usher into the games industry a sort of paradigm shift. Many theorize that after the Playstation 4 and the next Xbox (whatever they'll call it), the idea of releasing another console in a cyclical time frame won't really be necessary anymore, what with downloadable content and user generated stuff, all net-ready and available.

What I'm thinking is that we'll never see a Playstation 6, or the Microsoft and Nintendo equivalent. Kinda strange to think about, right? That's why I'm okay with spending money every 5 years or so for the next big console -- I get my money's worth, I think.

t's not overwhelming if you've been gaming since before you could walk, and since the hubbub over each new generation of consoles is so big and momentous, it's exciting just to get caught up in it.
What I'm thinking is that we'll never see a Playstation 6, or the Microsoft and Nintendo equivalent. Kinda strange to think about, right? That's why I'm okay with spending money every 5 years or so for the next big console -- I get my money's worth, I think.

This is all very true and I get caught up just as much as the next gamer. Eventually i will have a house big enough to have all my systems hooked up all at once. then i will be happy.

In regards to games consoles, I just like the fact you buy a game and you know it's gonna work on your system. No need to worry if you computer specs are outta date or that it can handle the game but with lower res & details etc

In regards to games consoles, I just like the fact you buy a game and you know it's gonna work on your system. No need to worry if you computer specs are outta date or that it can handle the game but with lower res & details etc

I think even the res and details are catching up to the PC. My PC can't display HD but my PS3 and 360 can.

I just hate then the short change a console. The 360 and PS3 have more to give and with firmware updates they can push these systems allot farther than what they are being used for now. That is my point, I mean MS is making new sku's so why can't they make the systems upgradeble like PC's?

Why would they? There's the business end to that. The Xbox 360 is built mostly from hardware similar to the stuff you find on the shelf of most electronic stores, so if they allowed for user hardware upgrades, they wouldn't see much, if any, money from that.

Also, I like to keep my gaming consoles apart from the PC platform. It's come to a point where the features and functions offered by consoles are approaching those of PC's, and I think I'd rather just stay at that. If you wanted a platform whose performance is totally relegated to you, the user, why not just upgrade your PC and use it as your main video game platform?

The PS3 and 360 are going to be around until 2010 at the earliest, so there's still a lot of life in them yet.

I think even the res and details are catching up to the PC. My PC can't display HD but my PS3 and 360 can.

I meant that chance your graphics card on your PC could maybe run a game but not at it's optimum & how creator's imagined whereas on a console you get the product & experience the creator imagine, as everyone has the same specs

I feel exactly the same way. I used to play PC games all the time up until consoles rivaled the graphics performance of most pc games and what more, you didn't have to fight to get them to perform correctly. Also, constantly upgrading hardware for your PC every 1 year to play the latest games versus buying a console every 5 years is an easy choice for me (especially with graphics card prices the way they are).

sony has had just as many sku's as MS. i don't mind buying the new systems as they come out as long as there are games to justify the price. even if they announce the next system it will be at least 2010-2011 before they hit the shelves. i just hope gaming doesn't get to the point of no more physical discs. i prefer to have the game i just spent $60 on.

The real thing that I hate about buying a new console isn’t buying the console itself but the accessories. I defiantly get my moneys worth out of my 360 but with regards to it and the ps3 once a new console comes out we have to buy the new accessories. I’m talking about buying the controllers, headsets, and such. After buying three $60 dollar controllers, batteries to charge them, and headsets its freakin expensive. Now that everything has gone wireless I hope that when the next generation of consoles will be compatible the same accessories as this gen.

exactly why i stopped PC gaming. seemed like you were basically spending $500-600 every other year to keep up to specs. things are getting cheaper and cheaper, but i just want to plug it in and play knowing that the quality of the game depends on the designers rather than capabilities of my computer.

Back